The future of Lewis Hamilton

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Alex knight
car driver
car driver

Re: The future of Lewis Hamilton

Post by Alex knight » 26 Jul 2012, 18:01

Another vote from me to stay with McLaren.

As previously mentioned, I don't think he has a huge amount of options, he's got some serious history with McLaren, and the counts for a lot.

If he wants to remain around the top of the tree, I can think of much worse teams to drive for....

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 26 Jul 2012, 18:53

Not sure where telling the team 'we should retire' fits into all this but there you go.

adamcooperf1.com/2012/07/26/lewis-hamilton-if-id-given-up-i-would-expect-to-be-fired

Alex knight
car driver
car driver

Post by Alex knight » 26 Jul 2012, 23:25

I was earlier thinking to myself that he did the right thing unlapping himself. You've got to race to the flag, irrespective of position. And I probably take some things that are said over team radios with a pinch of salt.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jul 2012, 20:32

It can't be a coincidence that Autosport did a top 10 races of Lewis feature, and only two were from 2010, 2011 and 2012...

He's still a supremely talented driver. But he has no option but McLaren. Ferrari? Maybe, but Alonso is too strong for him, and deep down he knows it.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 28 Jul 2012, 20:39

Yeah he has not other option. He probably wants a short-term deal with McLaren, they'll want him to sign a long term one.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 Aug 2012, 15:09

This is quite a good read, written by Marc Priestly. Nice guy, worked for McLaren for 8 or 9 years
http://www.pitlanemagazine.com/magazine/?p=213

Green Flag
Donator
Donator

Post by Green Flag » 30 Aug 2012, 18:21

Thanks for the link, Phil! Very interesting read :)

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 30 Aug 2012, 19:25

phil1993 wrote:This is quite a good read, written by Marc Priestly. Nice guy, worked for McLaren for 8 or 9 years
http://www.pitlanemagazine.com/magazine/?p=213
Too bad a lot of people are quite one sided and believe only what they see on tv. Fascinating article, thank you for sharing.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 01 Sep 2012, 09:26

phil1993 wrote:It can't be a coincidence that Autosport did a top 10 races of Lewis feature, and only two were from 2010, 2011 and 2012...

He's still a supremely talented driver. But he has no option but McLaren. Ferrari? Maybe, but Alonso is too strong for him, and deep down he knows it.
It'll sound controversial, but 2007 and 2008 were his best years. In 2007 he was consistent. But, I see another side to it, Lewis was consistent because Kimi, Massa and Alonso often had a problem or made a mistake. lewis was faultless aside from China and Brazil. But then,, lewis had 11 podiums to Alonso's 12 and Kimi's 12. So, lewis actually had less podiums than both, he had a retirement less than Kimi and had equal retirement to Alonso, and finished a maximum of 9th, to Alonso's 7th and Kimi's 8th. Problem is, even I didnt remember that without looking, because I thought lewis was better than what the results show, I thought he was the better driver in 2007, but looking back I dont think he was. So even looking back on 2007, Alonso and Kimi making mistakes and having faults, they still got more podiums overall. So in his rookie year it was still impressive, but I think he went downhill from 2007 onwards.

I dont find 2008 THAT impressive, he drove miles betterin 2007. In 2008 he was fast but he got himself so many penalties and all of them were deserved. I mean, Massa used DC as a pinball in australia and spun on his own accord out of the lead and had his engine blow 3 laps to end of a race he was leading. I mean massa had 5 non point scores, 2 from the lead (singapore/Malaysia). hamilton had 4 non scores. Hammy even won less races than Massa yet he only just beat him by 1 point. Hamilton made a right meal of winning the championship against Massa who was still average in 2008, and only in contention, and this is being brutally honest, Because Hamilton got himself 6 penalties. It wouldve been over with 3 races to go because there was just nobody to Challenge lewis and the fact that his continual errors and penalties allowed Massa's losing of 26 points from Aus/Malay/Singapore to be erradicated, and the fact he won by one point on the last 3 corners of Brazil is just ridiculous.

2009 he wasn't that good. I always remember him telling the team over the radio in turkey he wants to retire and hammering the team because the cars rubbish he's heavier than a tank and he's stuck behind a frickin boat (Piquet's R29). And kovy was doing better in the first few races. I mean he took a good win, but if you look at his wins, the car and KERS suited the track well, because a race or two later in Spa Mclaren were nowhere on pace.

Im not slating lewis or anything, I think he is the best driver Behind Alonso. But looking back on his career, im afraid, its underwhelming. 2007 was his best year,and to me, he has gotten worse each year from there. He's took some stunning wins, but he still doesnt have consistency. I mean, in 2010 he was great at the start, and then halfway through the season he made errors. Then 2011 he made more errors. 2012, he put the car on pole, it was easily the best car at the start, but he always fell back in the race. I mean, he had pit stop erors but you look at the time he lost in the pit stops to the time he finished behind the leader, and he still wouldve lost regardless as he just didnt have race pace which is weird.

But, Canada this year Lewis finally came alive, and since Canada he has been on it, and I hope he keeps that way but keeps consistency. I was furious with him in Valencia because it was his own fault Maldanado crashed into him. Time and time again 'I WILL NEVER GIVES UPS!' it just doesnt bloody work. He has such brain fades at times. he never thinks forward. He shouldnt have bothered racing Maldanado OR Kimi, soon as the tyres were cliffing, he needed to let them past and take 12 points over a DNF. He needs to learn how to lose a battle to win a war, and he still just doesnt learn.

I hope he does go to ferrari because id like to seem the best dream team in F1.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 04 Sep 2012, 15:10

What's with him whining and dining after Spa quali and even leaked out team data? :S

I think McLaren should kick him out and bring back the Iceman, Kimi Raikkonen to their fold. :)

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Sep 2012, 17:37

If Lewis isn't careful, he'll be without a seat.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 04 Sep 2012, 20:02

phil1993 wrote:If Lewis isn't careful, he'll be without a seat.
I agree. What he did at Spa by leaking team data (although I was oh so eager to get my hands on real McLaren telemetry... :zz: ) was waaay out of line and probably a violation of his contract. Bottom line, he's a professional just like all of us who have jobs doing whatever we do. I know that if I leaked confidential information about where I work, I'd be fired the next day.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Sep 2012, 20:10

The thing is, he's a really nice guy. But in the media, he seems to cultivate himself a totally different personality...

I agree with Gary Anderson:
"I believe Button's incredible lap in the second part of qualifying, which was 0.909secs quicker than Hamilton's, freaked Lewis out.
It looks as if Hamilton could not cope with that, messed up the top 10 shoot-out and then started tweeting stupid stuff. Hamilton is not a kid any more. He is 27, he is a leading grand prix driver and an ex-world champion. He has credibility, so to tweet some of the stuff he did on Saturday night, with the language contained in it, was not befitting of his status. I would say it was childish."

Lewis had to deal with grief recently too. It makes you do funny things, but... it was just bizarre behaviour. More than anything, I'm disappointed. I wanted to believe that he'd reformed in 2012, but... it's like 2011 again off track.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 04 Sep 2012, 22:43

He seems to be getting a bit more spoiled as every season passes by. I like the 2007 2008 Lewis because he knew he was still a rookie, and he acted with some self humility. He made a wrong turn somewhere along the line, he needs to sit with himself and find out when, where and why it happened.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 05 Sep 2012, 05:07

Maybe he will change his ways, hopefully sooner than later.