It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 11:04

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: McLaren-Mercedes | MP4-28 | Jenson and 'Checo'
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 05:04  
F1 Rookie

Yea. Alonso and Massa are a strong setup. Massa was misteriously out of it, but when he came back to form, he showed very good pace. If Massa delivers, then it will take incredible results for others to challenge his seat.....

As for Perez, i dont think he's been just lucky. You don't have the performance he's showed by just luck. Yes, results can have some luck, but not the performance; and he showed very good performance, more than once or twice. He's definitely not an impressive type of driver though... Hulkenberg and Grosjean are; and in general i think both those guys are 'faster' than Checo. But winning in F1 is more than just being fast.

Practice is on!
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 05:38  
F1 Legend

F1EA wrote:
Practice is on!

Why you are not following it with us? you can find the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=158&p=301829#p301829
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 05:58  
F1 Rookie

iceman1 wrote:
F1EA wrote:
Practice is on!

Why you are not following it with us? you can find the topic here: http://f1zone.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 29#p301829

Hehe i forgot :) FP caught me by surprise as it is a day early over here
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 09:14  

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106044

That's pretty open.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 14:12  
GP2 Driver

they are way off the pace,may be as bad as 2009.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 14:24  
F1 Routinier

I don't get it. They had the fastest car last season overall, even faster than the Red Bull. They won the first and last races and several in between. They could have started this season with something as competitive, but they decided to try something completely new. I'm sceptical about their reasoning, that they'll have more performance to find later in the season. I guess we'll see if that's the case, but it will be meaningless if all they can do in the first few races is score minor points.

Compare to Red Bull who have evolved and, shock horror, look to be out in front.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 15:11  
GP2 Driver

Then probably Hamilton's departure might be strongly reasonable... Mclaren choose very strange strategy by doing all of this, probably Mclaren wants to continue their pull rod suspension to 2014 car? So they need to learn it this year? Well I guess this will fail miserably.. Look at Ferrari last year, they survive and still challenging for championship was purely because Alonso was always there and pushing to limits.. Pure pace of Ferrari 2012 early season could be seen by Massa performance which was fail miserably.. With Button and Perez in Mclaren? I don't think they will resolve the problem better than Ferrari 2012...

I just glad to see Hamilton already not in the Mclaren team.. Funny enough though I had been Mclaren fan for quite some time, and now I became Mercedes fan when Hamilton is there... I look Mercedes' car much more often than 3 years have passed. Sure schumi and Rosberg was quite attractive, but I just look at Mercedes and forget it in just a glimpse, now I watch a lot Mercedes car...

I hope Mclaren could resolve their problem though, but expect a flat performance by Button, and perez.. I don't think they could resolve next year anyway... Except they abandon the development of this year's car and concentrate fully to next year car just after few race ahead...
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 15:38  
F1 Rookie

No need to be so pessimistic. No one knows what can be extracted from each car at race distances until a few runs.... but if Jenson and Perez are so good at dealing with alternative strategies, then they could even grab some good points.

As far as mounting a challenge like Alonso did last yr i doubt it, but who knows.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 20:25  
F1 Routinier

An interesting story about how a factory mistake made McLaren unrealistically fast in Jerez test: http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/03/16/how- ... erez-test/

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 20:38  
F1 Routinier

Top work. I'd be so peeved if I was a McLaren fan.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 21:00  
F1 Rookie

eleanor wrote:
An interesting story about how a factory mistake made McLaren unrealistically fast in Jerez test: http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/03/16/how- ... erez-test/

Crazy. At least they know what would make the car faster ;)
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 18:41  
kart driver

McLaren have no doubts they will conquer the gremlins regarding their latest electronics unit that has so far caused frustration along the pit lane.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 18:56  
kart driver

World Champion Sebastian Vettel, German Formula One racing driver from Infiniti Red Bull Racing (or as we all call Team Red Bull) has marked the fastest lap with his RB9 on the first day of practice at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Well a good job for Vettel, but can't judge the true race. :n

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 08:45  
GP2 Driver

Withmarsh said that McLaren may"call MP4-27 into action", given that they are not understanding the new car...although it's too soon to say that they cannot fix issues with the new car but may be they have made one of the most expensive mistakes of f1 history by "revolutionizing" last season's fastest car.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 11:24  

I just don't understand the logic.

The MP4-27 still had a lot of potential to unlock, but they went radical so there was even more potential, even though there's new regulations in 2014? Lotus went evolutionary - the E21 looks very similar to the E20 - and won.

The MP4-28 might have potential but they're already 23 points shy of the WDC leader and 28 down on the WCC leader, with little scope for improvement in Malaysia. I just don't understand it. But I do think back to Spain > Europe last year where Button was nowhere and Hamilton won a race. But 9th and 11th is unacceptable for the first race, not just the position but the way they got to the position. Operational errors in Q2 plus 80s shy of Raikkonen in the race. That's over 1s/lap on average slower and it would have been worse had Rosberg + Hulkenberg not retired and Vergne not gone off and lost time.

Melbourne is always labelled as a difficult benchmark but it's usually a good barometer: 2009 Button won, 2010 Vettel was on pole and leading before his retirement, 2011 Vettel dominated, 2012 was a McLaren/Red Bull scrap.

I almost think it's worse for McLaren than Ferrari in 2012 because they've got three or four teams ahead of them and - unlike the F2012 - don't seem to have the advantage of having a wide operating window or, more importantly, Alonso.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next