Winter Testing 2012

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
KevC

Re: Winter Testing 2012

Post by KevC » 09 Feb 2012, 23:32

phil1993 wrote:HRT delayed the introduction of the HRT02 until the last test. Oh dear...
Yep, they failed 3 of the 17 crash tests.
The new chassis passed all the tests, in what team insiders said it was a boost for the squad.

HRT has failed the roll-hoop and a lateral nose test by "very small margins", according to a team source.

A front impact test could not be carried out because of the failure to pass the lateral one.

A team source said having not passed those tests was not a worry, especially because the main concern was the chassis test which was passed successfully.

HRT's plans, however, have been altered as a result because it needs to manufacture new parts to pass the tests again in about a week's time.
Doesn't look good tbh. And also no news at all from Marussia either.
I'll be very surprised if both of them get to the end of the season.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 08:21

Good morning.

@InsideFerrari: Today's programme has not changed. We need to collect as many data as possible about the behaviour of the F2012

icemaid
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by icemaid » 10 Feb 2012, 08:55

Good morning!
Is Mar still there today?

Ah...Alonso couldn't hide it anymore, now top the timesheet! :zz:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 09:06

icemaid wrote:Good morning!

I don't think she wants to leave :p

@OfficialSF1Team Scheduled break for us. Fitting different parts for comparisons before @kamui_kobayashi goes out again.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 10 Feb 2012, 09:18

icemaid wrote:Good morning!

I'm here :)

About Alonso, I think I will quote what the lovely Tobias Grüner wrote in the AMuS live-ticker:
09:56 Im Pressezentrum wird die Zeit von Ferrari mit einem Lächeln aufgenommen. Viele hatten vorher schon erwartet, dass Alonso heute einen Gang zulegt, um in Maranello für Ruhe zu sorgen. Ferrari-Präsident Luca di Montezemolo hatte sein Team gewarnt, nicht mit schlechten Nachrichten nach Hause zu kommen.
Translation:
In media centre, the time from Ferrari was received with a smile. Many had already expected, that Alonso was going to add a gear today in order to get some tranquillity in Maranello. Ferrari president, Luca di Montezemolo, had warned his team not to go back home with bad news
It's up to you guys to "interpret" what it means :O

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 10:18

Ferrari tell Sky Sports News that they are still confident their new car can deliver and deny that Fernando's table-topping time this morning was set on 'a glory run'.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 10:32

News from Ted Kravitz: “The first sign of unreliability for Red Bull. An electrical problem has brought progress to a halt. The car went out and did two installation laps earlier in the day before the team suffered the failure. I’ve been down to the pits and mechanics are busily scurrying from truck to garage working to fix the problem. But it means that Sebastian Vettel has missed a couple of hours of testing, and when each of these drivers only has six or seven days of pre-season testing, that’s not insignificant.

“The usual caveat applies though: this is just testing and it’s better to have these failures now than at the second and third tests, which will be when we only get a true read of where everyone stands.”

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 10:54

10:51 The media centre is thinning out today. About a third of the people left compared to the first day
Good thing you are still there Mar :p

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 10 Feb 2012, 11:13

iceman1 wrote:
10:51 The media centre is thinning out today. About a third of the people left compared to the first day
Good thing you are still there Mar :p
yep, it's pretty surprising.
Most of the photographers have disappeared and of the Spaniards... I'll write about that somewhen else

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 12:46

Sky's coverage on the third day of winter testing for the 2012 F1 season. With highlights from day 2!

KevC

Post by KevC » 10 Feb 2012, 13:09

Wonder what those slots at the bottom are....

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 10 Feb 2012, 14:15

phil1993 wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Heading to Melbourne, everyone thought McLaren & Mercedes would be at the back...
yes and we thought that Ferrari would have the best car.
Not me :p I called the season preview 'Catch me if you can' and predicted a year of Vettel dominance :O :lol:
I've just read it again. Good prediction.

btw, nice avatar :) Is Vettel your new favourite driver? I thought you don't like him.
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Feb 2012, 14:18

I try and be neutral nowadays. I respect all the top drivers because they're all superb. I sway more towards the British duo which I guess is inevitable, but I'm as neutral as possible.

And season previews are notoriously difficult to get right. If I were to guess the final WCC positions now, I'd go with:

Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, Force India, Sauber, Williams, STR, Caterham. (cars not seen not listed). But how do you accurately weigh up how good a car can be + the drivers. Ferrari might have the 2nd best car, but be let down in the WCC by Massa.

But I've started work on the 2012 preview today!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 14:27

More from Ted: “Lewis Hamilton is doing his first proper long run of the day. He’s on the medium tyre and lapping nicely in the 1:21s – very consistently too, his last three laps within a tenth of each other. It’s quite an interesting scene in the McLaren garage because their test driver Oliver Turvey – who to the eyes of one my more unkind colleagues in the press room has the appearance of a boy doing work experience – is present. But make no mistake - he’s a hot prospect and a possible McLaren race driver of the future. Finally, there have been no significantly new parts brought to the McLaren since they started this test three days ago. Aerodynamically at least, the car hasn’t changed since Tuesday.”

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2012, 15:03

Ted Kravitz: “I’ve got some developing news on the exhaust story. I understand from sources in the pitlane that FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting has told the teams that he considers Ferrari and McLaren exhaust designs as legal. Even though the way those two teams have packaged their exhaust outlets, with channels leading exhaust gases out to specific areas of the car and therefore appearing to have a beneficial aero effect, which is against new exhaust regulations, it seems Whiting believes that they comply sufficiently with both the letter and the intention of the law.

“This has been accepted by the other teams, who launched with less aggressive exhaust concepts and it means that they will now effectively green light their own, shall we say more exotic, exhaust designs. We can expect to see these in time for the third test in Barcelona, if not before.”