Need Advice: 2013 Singapore GP

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
maling_jemuran
car driver
car driver

Need Advice: 2013 Singapore GP

Post by maling_jemuran » 27 Nov 2012, 07:22

Hi,

Is there anyone here who have ever watched Formula One live in Singapore and attended Thursday meet and greet session?
If anyone does I would like to know how you could get the pass to attend to that session because I've missed that session this year (2012).
Did you buy additional ticket or did you buy certain package of tickets so you could get that pass?

Currently I am planning to go watching for another F1 live in Singapore in 2013, though I attended also for 2012 and got myself Grandstand combination (padang on friday, bay on saturday, and Turn One on race day). It wasn't included the Thursday drivers meet and greet session. We need to hunt separately to free events outside the track such as Jenson Button's events with Tag Heuer at Wisma Atria/ION Orchard or like Red Bull's drivers event at Orchard city.

Thank you.

ladora
car driver
car driver

Re: Need Advice: 2013 Singapore GP

Post by ladora » 02 Jan 2013, 15:53

maling_jemuran wrote:Hi,

Is there anyone here who have ever watched Formula One live in Singapore and attended Thursday meet and greet session?
If anyone does I would like to know how you could get the pass to attend to that session because I've missed that session this year (2012).
Did you buy additional ticket or did you buy certain package of tickets so you could get that pass?

Currently I am planning to go watching for another F1 live in Singapore in 2013, though I attended also for 2012 and got myself Grandstand combination (padang on friday, bay on saturday, and Turn One on race day). It wasn't included the Thursday drivers meet and greet session. We need to hunt separately to free events outside the track such as Jenson Button's events with Tag Heuer at Wisma Atria/ION Orchard or like Red Bull's drivers event at Orchard city.

Thank you.
I've been to the Singapore Grand Prix since 2010, so I think I might be able to answer your question.

The Thursday meet & greet autograph session works differently in Singapore than compared to other races. From what I gather, in most other races the Thursday meet & greet session is open to most people who have passes (or a certain, more expensive category) and people just queue up and hope they can get in, or to at least glimpse their favourite drivers in the flesh. That's what I've heard anyway.

In Singapore, however, it's different. The Thursday meet & greet autograph session is only open to lucky draw winners. Basically, sometime in the middle of the year, the organisers will open up a lucky draw competition for anyone who has bought tickets (doesn't matter which category) and you go to the website to enter in your details and ticket number. Nearer to the date of the Grand Prix, the Singapore organisers will notify winners and they will be the ones who get to go. If you're not chosen, you don't get to go, simple as that.

TBH, I don't really like this system because I think fans should be given an equal chance to queue up and try their luck like in other places, but I do also understand that the way the grand prix is organized here is very different - it's a crowded street circuit, the pit building is in a different zone (the most expensive zone), etc, so they cannot just open up the pit building/track to everyone for them to come to the autograph session on Thursday.

(I realise this reply comes a month late but I hope you see this, and that it might help others too.) :)