2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by reppo » 03 Apr 2012, 17:28

I cannot understand FIA. Lotus' reactive ride height system was banned even it was developed consulting with FIA. One F1 regulation says "any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited". The system was passive, but maybe it can be said that driver can have effect on aerodynamics by breaking and accelerating. The original F-duct was banned as well as movable front wings, but then:
http://www.f1zone.net/news/fia-still-be ... gal/13354/
It is believed the complaining teams’ main objection to the Mercedes system is that it arguably uses ‘driver movement’ – the pressing of the DRS button – to be activated.

Under the heading “Pressing the DRS button and the issue of ‘driver movement’”, the media briefing quotes Whiting as stating simply: “This is specifically allowed (in the rules).”

Mercedes’ Ross Brawn is quoted by the BBC: “We call it the DRS, because that’s all it is. The purpose of the DRS is to improve overtaking and that’s what we’re trying to do.”
So stalling front wing and changing it's aerodynamics is allowed if it is activeted by driver pushing DRS button, which purpose originally was to move a flap in rear wing. I feel it is like wiring living room lights to kitchen light switch and keep calling it kitchen light switch (stupid analogy I know). So what else can be tied up with DRS switch. Can the ride height system be somehow connected to it. Lotus' system would have been easy to copy, but not Mercedes's F-duct. It requires routing channels from back wing through the chassis all the way to front wing. Only rich teams can copy it for this season. Other teams can hope to get it earliest next year if even then - HRT is still struggling with KERS. Thinking of Mercedes' results, I'm not so sure the system works, but anyway I can't see logic in Whiting's ruling ''hmm''

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 03 Apr 2012, 17:43

I think it should be banned to be honest. It is after all, a driver activated device. If this is allowed, then why not the teams go back to the 2010 F-Duct, and just activate it using the same DRS button. It will give them one hell of a boost.

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 04 Apr 2012, 14:21

As far as i am concerned Mercedes isn't doing anything illegal here, but hey at the FIA they have a mind of their own and sometimes they make strange decisions. Going as far as making an decision and abolishing it a couple of weeks later. I don’t want to see another silverstone 2011 crisis.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2012, 15:30

So, what happened to the field of 2011 that aren't on the grid this year?
http://www.f1zone.net/news/where-are-they-now/13373/

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 04 Apr 2012, 18:34

Martin Brundles thoughts:
http://sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgea ... n-brundle/
TG catches up with Martin Brundle

Posted by TopGear.com
10:38 am on Friday March 30, 2012

Sam Philip sits down with Sky’s new man to discuss Vettel’s temper, Ferrari’s F1 woes, and racing for Nissan with his son at this year’s Le Mans…

TG: So Martin – for you, what’s been the biggest surprise of the F1 season so far?

MB: Red Bull’s performance – or lack of – compared to the past two years. But when you look at how the regulations have changed, it’s almost like they were designed to slow the Red Bulls down. Doubling the torsional stiffness of the front wings – the way Red Bull were ‘flying’ their car down the track with lots of rake, nose close to the ground, exhausts helping to sort the high rear ride height out, it’s all been taken away from them.

The rest of it is pretty much as it was shaping up in pre-season testing. It’s very close at the front, and the midfield’s strong enough to steal some great results, just as we saw with Perez in Kuala Lumpur. The negative surprise is that the Ferrari’s a bit… grim. That, and the pace of the Mercedes in the race. The positive surprise is the midfield – the Sauber, Toro Rosso, Force India, Williams…

How long before we see Perez in a Ferrari?

I think we have to assume that Massa won’t be there [at Ferrari] in 2013. Perez has got a great chance – there are a lot of good kids out there though. There’s a bit of a changing of the guard. We’ve lost Rubens, I don’t know where Michael Schumacher is at, but there’s a hundred kids totally prepared – mentally, physically, nutritionally, technically – to step into an F1 car. Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo and Romain Grosjean, those guys can step straight up to the plate.

Who’s going to do well at the Chinese Grand Prix?

Well, you’ve got that big back straight, which should suit the Mercedes very well. There’s often changeable weather conditions, so I think it’s entirely unpredictable again. But the team that looks like it’s got the best package, weekend by weekend, is McLaren. They look like they’re best sorted.

You can’t underestimate that Lotus. Raikkonen could, and should, have been on pole in Sepang, and talking to the Lotus boys, they say they just put it on the track and make very few changes. It’s one of those cars that’s clearly quite benign aerodynamically and well-balanced. That means it’s going to work well in all conditions and on all the tracks.

Which race are you most looking forward to this year?

I love Monaco as a race to commentate on. And the British Grand Prix. I’ve been to more than half the Grand Prix races in history, I was working out the other day. I enjoy them all, but particularly Monaco, Silverstone and Spa. I could leave Korea, I could leave China…

Of the current F1 grid, who would be your perfect two-driver team?

I would have Vettel and Alonso. Or Vettel and Hamilton. We’ve tried Hamilton and Alonso [at McLaren in 2007], it doesn’t work.

Did you think Vettel was right to criticise back markers after Sepang?

No, that’s just an angry man who hasn’t got a front-running car at the moment. I thought it looked a bit clumsy. Vettel didn’t leave enough room. We saw it in the Indian Grand Prix last year as well, when Karthikeyan half-heartedly yields – you’ve either got to stay on the racing line and go for it, then let them [the faster cars] through on the way out, or you yield completely. Karthikeyan kind of gets out the way, and that’s why they keep running into him. He’s got to be more decisive in what he does. I can see why they’re frustrated with him. But Vettel was a bit clumsy.

Is the problem that the teams at the back are too slow?

They always have been. Somebody’s got to be at the front, somebody’s got to be at the back. The HRT is particularly poor at the moment, and it confuses me why in year three it’s worse than it was in year one. The rest of them are OK, and they’ve got pro drivers in them. It’s six of one and half a dozen of the other, but I thought it was a bit rich of Vettel to call him [Karthikeyan] an idiot. He’s just frustrated.

So – 22 years after winning the Le Mans 24 Hours, you’re heading back this year in a Nissan LMP2 car with your son Alex racing alongside you. What sort of result are you hoping for?

It’s an unexpected privilege and pleasure for me to be going back to Le Mans. You’ve got to take Le Mans very seriously because it’s super-fast and it’s hard racing. The cars are very fast. We’re in the second category but these LMP2 cars are quicker than a lot of the Le Mans cars I drove. You’ve got Minassian, Sarrazin, Buemi, a lot of good kids in that category. If we could get on the podium or win the LMP2 class, I’d be ecstatic.

How are you getting fit?

I’ve lost three kilos, I’m in good nick. I was fast in the test. I’m jumping in a Radical when I can. I’m in the gym at Grands Prix with Coulthard every morning I get the chance.

How are you getting ready for the 3am stint?

I’ll just put the kids in the car. If it’s dark or wet, I’m not driving it. But really, it’s not a problem. You go faster at night at Le Mans than in the day. My eyesight’s good, but I think it’s the one area my age will show – you can’t laser that back in. But Le Mans has a very short night – just four, four and a half hours of darkness.

Who’s going to be quicker – you or Alex?

Alex is going to be quicker, thank goodness. If he wasn’t, he’d be getting fired. He’s 30 years younger than me, he’s fitter and brighter. But I’m quick enough that he has to keep checking my times.

You’ll be on track at Le Mans with the Nissan DeltaWing car. What do you make of it?

My concern is that it’ll be too fast. It’s got low drag, I think it’ll be a real nuisance for us, because it’ll be faster in different places. The people who put that together are smart people – I heard it’s pulling over three lateral g already. It’s not allowed to win anything [the DeltaWing is racing in its own category] but I bet you it’ll be surprisingly quick. It’s going to be a bloody nuisance. It’ll be the same speed as us but in different places.

I think it’s a very bold adventure, and I’m looking forward to seeing it out on track. It’s fascinating. It gets attention and media outside of petrolheads, and that’s good for motorsports. Tell me that every single fan that’s at Le Mans this year won’t be watching its progress very closely, because it’s so unusual. People need to break out of their mental moulds and understand that things move on.

Finally, who’s your money on for the F1 drivers’ title this year?

I could see Hamilton winning the title this year. But I’m not a betting man. I’ve been around this business too long to waste good money betting on racing drivers. That’s a wild guess, it could be anyone. Who would have thought Fernando Alonso would be leading the championship after two races? We thought they were going to get thrashed by the midfield… which, to an extent, if it wasn’t for Alonso, they would be. I sense McLaren have got a really good package, and Lewis is hungry to get back on the championship trail.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 04 Apr 2012, 20:07

Fia's way of ruling is confusing. It a team has consulted FIA for their innovations and FIA has been showing green light, they shouldn't ban it later. Mercedes has asked FIA's opinion of their DRS/F-Duct implementation and FIA did approve it and in this case didn't ban it later. I'm not saying Mercedes have done anything wrong or their innovation is illegal and should be banned, but if any team develops anything in the future and trusts FIA's word of it's legality they might be wasting their money if FIA suddenly changes their mind. Only rich teams can have alternative plans or even develop an other car like Ferrari is doing. I'm sure Ferrari will now put Mercedes style F-duct channels into chassis to be ready if they would be needed later. Marussia and specially HRT can only dream about about such things. How many teams anyway can afford to develop something in good fate that it is legal if FIA so unclear. It is like FIA's technical skills are poor and their ruling is inconstant. I might be biased but that is how I feel.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 05 Apr 2012, 00:45

I don't think you are biased. I actually completely agree. Even I felt shameful last year when Ferrari won in Silverstone after that mid-season change in the rules, and I'm a Ferrari fan! The FIA should be consistent with it's ruling, and that Merc F-duct should have been banned even before it went to production.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 05 Apr 2012, 08:58

Damon Hill has urged the FIA, Formula One’s governing body, to reconsider holding the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 22, suggesting that the race “could be creating more problems than it’s solving”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -Prix.html

He supported the GP last year and now when it's "calm" he wants to cancel it? :roll::

I am ready for Bahrain, I still need to do the visa thing :D

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Apr 2012, 09:27

No he was against the Grand Prix last year. He said he supported it going ahead this year in January, but now seems to have changed his mind.

hamilton10000
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by hamilton10000 » 05 Apr 2012, 10:43

i want there to be a grand prix this year in bahrain but i just dont think it will happen. I will be very suprised if it is not cancelled during the china weekend

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 05 Apr 2012, 12:24

hamilton10000 wrote:i want there to be a grand prix this year in bahrain but i just dont think it will happen. I will be very suprised if it is not cancelled during the china weekend
No it's confirmed. The GP is going ahead :p

@donald29: Thank you :)

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 05 Apr 2012, 14:23

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6316423359

While I hope that Bahrain goes ahead (and, unless tensions flare up again like last year, I believe that it will go ahead), there is still some cause for concern. Another protester was killed recently and I fear that a protester may possibly decide to emulate Neil Horan in an effort to get their point across to the world during the race if it goes ahead.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Apr 2012, 15:01

Argentina might return to F1. There could be a street circuit in Mar del Plata, incorporating the naval history of the city

A deal from 2013 is expected to be announced next month and the race would replace the ailing Korean Grand Prix.

So, with Valencia rotating it looks like we now get Valencia Mk2 on an annual basis only in South America. I'd take this news with a pinch of salt until F1 turns up in Argentina.

Why can't they go here? :(

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Apr 2012, 17:13

I read that that track is just a mock-up of a possible track by a magazine? The location is correct but the circuit has not been designed yet.

If it were real, there would be something quite cool about the cars heading out to sea on that pier looking thing, but as a circuit it looks pretty c**p.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Apr 2012, 17:35

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on the run-off zone being the Atlantic Ocean

Anyway, here's something missed by F-O-M in Malaysia; Senna spinning de La Rosa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wldUv9tmUc