2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by reppo » 13 Jun 2012, 15:14

phil1993 wrote:Because they ran out of candidates.
I was in an impression that the trophy does not need to be awarded every year.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 13 Jun 2012, 16:35

reppo wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Because they ran out of candidates.
I was in an impression that the trophy does not need to be awarded every year.
A pay driver is a pay driver everywhere and anywhere :p

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 13 Jun 2012, 18:17

reppo wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Luca di Montezemolo has been speaking again (oh dear).
"The world economic situation, and that of Europe in particular, is very serious and the world of Formula 1 cannot ignore the fact"

"We cannot lose any more time: we need to tackle urgently and with determination the question of costs. Ferrari is in agreement with the FIA's position that drastic intervention is required. We are absolutely convinced that, as I have always said, the teams and the commercial rights holder must work together with the Federation on this front.

"This is no longer the moment for getting bogged down in sterile discussions or the meanderings of engineers, usually only concerned in defending the interests of someone or other: the question has to be tackled at the highest level, without further delay.
This is the man who was wholly against the budget cap in 2009. The same man whose team benefits hugely from advantageous financial clauses in the Concorde Agreement.

What has changed his tune so dramatically. Incidentally, the Spanish economy is in a mess. Santander is a leading financial player in both Spain and Ferrari :zz:
So, in plain English - without those blah, blah words - he is just saying: "We are so screwed with the budget" ''hmm''
So when Max was trying to implement this, you all were against it to the point of thinking about starting a new series. Now the teams want cost cutting.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 13 Jun 2012, 19:44

F1Fan88 wrote:
reppo wrote:
"The world economic situation, and that of Europe in particular, is very serious and the world of Formula 1 cannot ignore the fact"

"We cannot lose any more time: we need to tackle urgently and with determination the question of costs. Ferrari is in agreement with the FIA's position that drastic intervention is required. We are absolutely convinced that, as I have always said, the teams and the commercial rights holder must work together with the Federation on this front.

"This is no longer the moment for getting bogged down in sterile discussions or the meanderings of engineers, usually only concerned in defending the interests of someone or other: the question has to be tackled at the highest level, without further delay.
This is the man who was wholly against the budget cap in 2009. The same man whose team benefits hugely from advantageous financial clauses in the Concorde Agreement.

What has changed his tune so dramatically. Incidentally, the Spanish economy is in a mess. Santander is a leading financial player in both Spain and Ferrari :zz:
So, in plain English - without those blah, blah words - he is just saying: "We are so screwed with the budget" ''hmm''
So when Max was trying to implement this, you all were against it to the point of thinking about starting a new series. Now the teams want cost cutting.
Who all? I though small teams at least had nothing against it.

Suomileijona
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suomileijona » 14 Jun 2012, 14:35

reppo wrote:
F1Fan88 wrote:
reppo wrote:

Me too! :)

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 15 Jun 2012, 17:25

Code: Select all

Formula 1 wants to stay in brazil many years on, but both the track and the surrounding buildings are in need of a make-over, if the circuit is to stand the test of time.

Two years ago Bernie Ecclestone was ready to abandon the Interlagos circuit, but also gave the organisers the recipe for how to stay on the calendar, at least until 2020. A renovation project was delivered to Bernie Ecclestone on the 13th of this month, and the project is following the changes he wanted.

Among these changes are the fenced in area behind the pit area, which are within the required minimum for how small they can be, but that doesn´t say much. It´s extremely tight in the Brazilian paddock and one of the real challenges for the developers of the circuit, would be to use the sloping ground directly behind the pit area, and expand that.

Instead the entire paddock complex will be moved to somewhere between the Senna S curve and Curva de Sol, Turn 2 and 3, in other words. That means a whole new position for the start/finish line and this will of course change the action on the circuit.

“I have long believed in Brazil — we’ve been there since 1972,” Ecclestone said. “The future of formula one Brazil depends now on major improvements at Interlagos. These events (World Cup and Olympics) are a great opportunity to look at the circuit as well.

“I can no longer be questioned by the teams about why we are racing at the worst circuit in the championship,” said Ecclestone.
http://formulaoneupdate.wordpress.com/2 ... nterlagos/

Would it be possible to have the paddock/pitlane after the Senna esses while still keeping the start/finish line where it is now, or is there some rule that says the pitlane must cross the start/finish line?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 15 Jun 2012, 17:37

I'm fairly certain the pits & paddock has to be on the start/finish line. I know that isn't the case in IndyCars, but I believe it is in F1.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 15 Jun 2012, 18:52

Would think so for getting equipment onto the grid for the start.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 15 Jun 2012, 19:11

Wish the Sky presenters would stop telling us 'what a year it is shaping up to be.' We are about a third of the way into the season and it is already an epic one.

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 17 Jun 2012, 07:42

reppo wrote:
F1Fan88 wrote:
reppo wrote:

The cost of regulation changes to the bigger teams may not make too much of a difference, that is true, but there isn't really a problem with the front-running teams... the problem is with the teams which basically can't afford to be in F1, are 5 seconds off the pace, can only hire drivers who pay them, get very little air-time and generally bring very little to the table for the average fan... I'm sure they'd rather spend money on perfecting the basics, rather than having to spend all their budget building a brand new car. Money doesn't guarantee success in F1, but the small teams cannot afford to waste it.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 17 Jun 2012, 19:23

Phil pointed out after Canada Alonso has scored points in every race since Valencia last year.

I had a look, and the record for most consecutive points finishes is 24. Ok, points records are one of the most meaningless F1 records (especially since 2010) but Alonso is closing in on it. I make it if he scores every race until Italy he'll break it.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Jun 2012, 12:40

From Mclaren's European GP preview:
"It's certainly feasible that this year's title could be won by a driver who scores only two or three grand prix wins, but who reinforces those victories with the most consistently solid approach. So, whereas in previous years, there was an emphasis on the 'big' results, this year it seems that minor points placings could provide a decisive edge in the title battle."
Martin is right, It's a tough season, you can't win most of the races like Vettel did last year. So the new champion will likely to get a maximum or 3-4 wins.

Hamilton knew that and he said from the beginning that consistency will be the key to the title.

Interesting season :)

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Jun 2012, 12:41

donald29 wrote:Phil pointed out after Canada Alonso has scored points in every race since Valencia last year.

I had a look, and the record for most consecutive points finishes is 24. Ok, points records are one of the most meaningless F1 records (especially since 2010) but Alonso is closing in on it. I make it if he scores every race until Italy he'll break it.
Alonso is unlucky at SPA. I expect him to retire :zz:

iceT
Donator
Donator

Post by iceT » 18 Jun 2012, 13:44

iceman1 wrote:
donald29 wrote:Phil pointed out after Canada Alonso has scored points in every race since Valencia last year.

Alonso is unlucky at SPA. I expect him to retire :zz:
And we know who is the King of Spa, right ??! :cool:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 18 Jun 2012, 15:29

Schumacher. :p