2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
KevC

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by KevC » 15 May 2012, 20:40

Omegablue
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Location: Heart is in Italy. Body in South Africa. Mind on another planet.

Post by Omegablue » 15 May 2012, 22:40

MavF1 wrote:
iceman1 wrote:Who do you want next? :p

Spot on. With 5 different race winners in the same amount of races, I as a fan should be enjoying this. And I do to a certain extent. Yet, this season starts to feel just outright weird...
I can't be the only one on here feeling this way?
I just think it's lame that no longer the driver going the fastest through out the race, actually wins. (With the exception of Malaysia, as the rain permitted skill over tyres.)

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 15 May 2012, 23:03

Bernie doesnt think Merc will leave.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/77 ... will-leave
Last edited by tderias on 15 May 2012, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 15 May 2012, 23:04

reppo wrote:
tderias wrote:It feels weird because you don't know what to expect. But I'd take it over last year any day...

Anyways, Ferrari are running out of patience with Massa:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/77 ... from-Massa
Is there any other team than Ferrari who goes to media complaining their driver publicly. I'm sure Massa understands even without it that he has to do better. At least I can't now remember any other. Of course at the opposite end is Toro Rosso where they might not necessarily remember to tell their drivers, even privately after the last race, that their services are not needed next year.
Reppo man who hasn't complained about Massa's recent form? The whole F1 media is talking about it. To be honest I think Ferrari are being way too patient with him. Since 2010 he's been slacking, and when you're in a team like Ferrari, you can't afford that, because every other driver out there is eyeing that seat. And his poor performances are hurting Ferrari this season the most, because Fernando is actually delivering results but no one's there to collect some constructors points.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 16 May 2012, 10:16

Massa being bad is no news anymore, everyone knows it. It was even at the end of 2010 when it was questioned should he be replaced, and Montezemolo was talking about Massa's brother. It would be news if he starts to finish inside P6 or at least in top 10. But I can't remember other teams sort out their driver problems publicly.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 16 May 2012, 10:31

The row over Maldonado's funding seems to have reignited in Venezuela. Opposition are unhappy with the money spent on Maldonado.

Excuse Google translate:
"Nobody remembers that Pastor Maldonado cost $ 66 million each year to PDVSA [state owned oil company]. It is rather ironic to see that with this 100 schools money could have been built
Full article, in French. http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/201 ... _3242.html

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 16 May 2012, 11:49

Exclusive Eric Boullier Q&A: Lotus are on the up
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 13355.html

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 16 May 2012, 15:53

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.s ... 1-tallista (in Finnish)
Sauber gave a mighty bonus: A third of the F1 team
Posted on 05.16.2012 18:04 (updated 18:11)

Managing Director Monisha Kaltenborn got a third of Sauber team's shares.

Team Manager Peter Sauber moved a big stake to 41 year old Kaltenborn, who will be following Sauber team manager. Sauber holds two thirds of the shares of the team bearing his name.

- When BMW withdrew from Formula One in 2009 Monisha helped the team to survive and have since done an excellent job as CEO. Transfering one third of the stake to her is for me important step to ensure the continuity, Peter Sauber commented.
MTV3
Peter surely can be frank without being Frank :)

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 18 May 2012, 11:17

http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/rus ... al-partner
Russian Helicopters becomes Official Partner of Caterham F1 Team

Russian Helicopters, one of the global leaders in the helicopter industry, is glad to announce an official partnership with Caterham F1 Team, one of the 12 participants in the FIA Formula One World Championship. From the Monaco Grand Prix, the Russian Helicopters logos will be seen on the Caterham F1 Team cars and in future the drivers' overalls and the team's race garages.

Russian Helicopters is a subsidiary of United Industrial Corporation Oboronprom. It is one of the global leaders in helicopter development and production with a number of special, innovative and widespread models, both civilian and military. Russian Helicopters is dominant in the Russian and CIS markets and is the leading player in the fast growing Indian and Chinese markets. The company is also rapidly increasing its presence in the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific regions.

As a global market leader, Russian Helicopters leads the field in the use of innovative technological methods. This provides the perfect synergy between its high-tech business and the high-tech world of Formula 1. The global business interests of Russian Helicopters takes the company into markets worldwide, and now, through its partnership with Caterham F1 Team, Russian Helicopters will also be represented at grands prix all over the globe.

Tony Fernandes, Team Principal of Caterham F1 Team, commented on the deal: "I am absolutely delighted to welcome Russian Helicopters into Caterham F1 Team. It is a sign of the increasingly strong relationships we are growing in Russia that we can attract partners of this calibre and we look forward to repaying their faith in us and Vitaly on and off track."

Dmitry Petrov, General Director of JSC Russian Helicopters: "Russian Helicopters are delighted to announce the start of our partnership program with Vitaly Petrov's Caterham F1 Team. It is important for Russian businesses to support projects which positively raise the profile of Russian interests worldwide and, as Russian Helicopters is a global high-tech company, it is a natural step for us to support Vitaly, as Caterham F1 Team's Russian driver, in his role in a high-tech sport which is enormously popular all over the world. Our helicopters are actively marketed internationally and I am sure that our involvement in Formula 1, a sport that is popular worldwide and is at the pinnacle of modern technology, will help us to strengthen the international image of Russian Helicopters, as well as contribute to the growth of investment in the Russian economy."

Russian Helicopters is a subsidiary of UIC Oboronprom, which in turn is a part of Russian Technologies State Corporation. It is one of the global leaders in helicopter production and the only helicopter design and production powerhouse in Russia. Russian Helicopters is headquartered in Moscow. The company comprises five helicopter production facilities, two design bureaus, a spare parts production and repair facility, as well as an aftersale service branch responsible for maintenance and repair in Russia and all over the world.

Its helicopters are popular among Russian ministries and state authorities (Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Emergency Control Ministry), operators (Gazpromavia, UTair), major Russian corporations. Over 8000 helicopters of Soviet/Russian make are operated in 110 countries worldwide. Traditionally, the demand is highest in the Middle East, Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Russia, and CIS countries. Russian Helicopters was established in 2007. In 2011, its IFRS revenues increased 27.8% to RUB 103.9 billion and deliveries reached 262 helicopters.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 19 May 2012, 16:40

http://en.espnf1.com/lotusf1/motorsport ... 79053.html
Updates for E20 as Boullier warns against resting on laurels
ESPNF1 Staff
May 19, 2012

Lotus boss Eric Boullier has warned his team not to rest on its laurels after two very solid results at the last two races.

In Bahrain both drivers were on the podium in second and third and in Spain Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean finished third and fourth. Given the unpredictability of results this year, Boullier said he was pleased with the consistency and that if the team continues to push he may revise its goal of finishing fourth in the constructors' championship.

"After a difficult first few races - where our pace on track did not convert to results at the chequered flag - it's true to say we have had two strong results and if we continue to score like this we may have to revise our expectations," he said. "That said, nothing stands still in Formula One and we would be foolhardy to underestimate the opposition. We have had two good results, yes, but we have not scored a win. Things change very quickly so we won't be resting on our laurels."

Lotus scored two podiums in the first two races last year as it surprised the field with its novel front-exiting exhaust. This year the team has a more conventional design, which Boullier is confident will not hit a dead end as it is developed.

"This time last year we also had some good feelings from podiums in Australia and Malaysia, but we had a design concept which would frustrate our potential," he added. "This year we have had a great sniff of victory and that is driving everyone forwards, making us all work harder. We're hungry and we know what we want."

The team is set to make a few changes to the E20 for Monaco to try to tailor the car to the demands of the track.

"We've got a bigger rear wing as you need more downforce at Monaco than you need anywhere else," technical director James Allison said. "If you look closer, or if you are a very keen fan of bodywork changes then you'll see that the area around the side pods and the rear drums will be different too.

"We have to make modifications to the suspension to enable the necessary lock to get around Loews Hairpin and Rascasse. We have also made some changes, for Kimi in particular, to make the steering a little more reactive for Monaco."

The car has had a tendency to be stronger in high-speed corners than slow speed corners, but Allison says that won't necessarily mean it is slow at Monaco.

"There are other things about Monaco that are different entirely, which are much harder to gauge. For starters the corners are so slow that the strength we've seen in very fast corners compared with moderate corners is not really any sort of form guide for competitiveness around Monaco's twists and turns. Secondly, driver skill plays a relatively bigger part at Monaco than at most tracks, and we are fortunate to have a pair of decent peddlers.

"Finally, a large part of Monaco is confidence from the driver. Confidence that they can lean on the car and know that it's not going to misbehave. So far, the E20 has proved to be a very predictable, straight-forward car to drive - a quality it shares with the R30. So hopefully they will be able to lean on it to good effect. We'll have to see."

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 19 May 2012, 16:41

I was reading this http://www.f1zone.net/news/massa-insist ... him/14029/ and this comment caught my attention: "Massa insisted he has not been far away from Alonso at recent races." :lol: Yeah he is right. He is not that far away, in Spain Alonso was right in front of him, but with 1 lap of advantage. Everything is fine he is close. Hilarious. This guy should STFU already his speaking abilities are so good has his driving abilities.

What will be his excuse to Monaco? He always has one excuse for each race. Well probably he doesn´t need one this time, apparently now being one lap behind the teammate is doing a good job. And we are talking about a guy that once said if he was half a second slower than his teammate would leave F1. But I suppose that wouldn´t be nice because of the salary he receives.

Felipe, do a favor to F1 fans (and to the poor brazilian fans i feel sorry) shut up and go home :wave:.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 19 May 2012, 16:56

sportingcp wrote:I was reading this http://www.f1zone.net/news/massa-insist ... him/14029/ and this comment caught my attention: "Massa insisted he has not been far away from Alonso at recent races." :lol: Yeah he is right. He is not that far away, in Spain Alonso was right in front of him, but with 1 lap of advantage. Everything is fine he is close. Hilarious. This guy should STFU already his speaking abilities are so good has his driving abilities.

What will be his excuse to Monaco? He always has one excuse for each race. Well probably he doesn´t need one this time, apparently now being one lap behind the teammate is doing a good job. And we are talking about a guy that once said if he was half a second slower than his teammate would leave F1. But I suppose that wouldn´t be nice because of the salary he receives.

Felipe, do a favor to F1 fans (and to the poor brazilian fans i feel sorry) shut up and go home :wave:.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 May 2012, 16:59

sportingcp wrote:What will be his excuse to Monaco?
Q: So Felipe, you didn't quite make it through to Q3. Are you bitterly disappointed?
FM: For sure, but I had traffic on my hot lap.

I bet you.

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 19 May 2012, 17:32

In a track like Monaco I suppose the traffic excuse would be a good one :). Is it just my impression or Felipe uses the expression "for sure" in all his sentences? :lol:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 19 May 2012, 17:41

sportingcp wrote:In a track like Monaco I suppose the traffic excuse would be a good one :). Is it just my impression or Felipe uses the expression "for sure" in all his sentences? :lol:
At least in a closed track it is better reason than saying "I got lost" :lol: Though that might have happened in WRC ''hmm''