2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by F1Fan88 » 13 Feb 2012, 12:02

Double BAFTA win for “Senna”
Asif Kapadia’s Senna (pictured) scored a double triumph at the 2012 British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Film Awards, picking up the documentary prize and the editing prize.

In the documentary category, the F1 doc beat two other nominees, James Marsh’s Project Nim and Martin Scorsese’s George Harrison: Living in the Material World, to scoop the gong.

In the editing category, meanwhile, the film was the surprise winner against narrative features The Artist, Drive, Hugo and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The award went to the film’s editors Gregers Sall and Chris King.

Senna was also nominated in the Outstanding British Film category – the first time a documentary had been nominated in the category since Marsh’s Man On Wire, which won the prize in 2009 – but lost out to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Elsewhere, Wim Wender’s documentary/dance hybrid Pina had been nominated in the foreign language category, but lost out to Pedro Almodóvar’s The Skin I Live In. The evening also saw Scorsese awarded a BAFTA Fellowship – the organization’s highest accolade.

Senna‘s documentary award is Kapadia’s second major BAFTA prize – in 2003 his narrative feature The Warrior won the Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film.

This year marked a return for the BAFTAs – the UK’s answer to the Oscars – to the non-fiction realm, with the reintroduction of a documentary category. A theatrical documentary award was presented by BAFTA between 1948 and 1990, but dropped thereafter, with docs only recognized in the major film categories.

Read more: http://realscreen.com/2012/02/12/double ... z1mGLNtJWG
Well deserved indeed.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 13 Feb 2012, 17:59

Season Preview 2012: All change at STR
http://www.f1zone.net/news/season-previ ... str/12283/

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 13 Feb 2012, 22:54

phil1993 wrote:Season Preview 2012: All change at STR
http://www.f1zone.net/news/season-previ ... str/12283/
Nice article, phil. Certainly a team I'll watch out for next season, more so than I did before. I'm still undecided of what to think about them though, with its only purpose seemingly being just a Red Bull evaluation team, the rather harsh treatment of their drivers (see Alguersuari/Buemi) and having a rather questionable team management / team principal (Did that Speed/Tost thing ever get resolved, btw?).

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 15 Feb 2012, 17:18

@f1zone: Tyre compounds announced - Soft-Medium for Australia and China. Medium-Hard for Malaysia.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 16 Feb 2012, 15:50

Mika Salo's view of drivers:
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.s ... nen-tullen (in Finnish)
Mika Salo estimates the driver pairs - "Kimi beats with flying colors"

16.02.2012 13:24

MTV3's F1 expert Mika Salo evaluates driver duos of all teams for upcoming season.

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

- I do not see any change. Vettel leads and Webber will come behind. Webber should win races, which Vettel does not win, but so far he has not been able to do so. Webber on the other hand is a good team mate, as Vettel has clamped him so that he begins to be satisfied as number two driver.

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa

- A bit the same situation as in Red Bull, Alonso is clear number one driver. Massa has sometimes been able to be faster than Alonso in qualifying, but in races the situation is always vice versa. Massa just is not a good race driver. I do not believe that Massa can continue after the season in Ferrari. I was surprised that he was allowed to continue this year.

McLaren: Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button

- McLaren duo is hard. Hamilton is faster on the track, but not necessarily as smart race driver. Button has collected the wins pretty well. Hamilton has been able to win races now and then, but not for entire season, mainly because of his personal problems. If his girlfriend problems and other personal problems are behind, then Hamilton is strong. He only has a weak head, otherwise he has all the potential to win races.

- If McLaren has a good car, in the championship battle drivers are eating each others' points. In other teams it does not happen.

Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher

- Last year, Schumacher did not dazzle at all and Nico was pretty badly superior to him. Nico will take this duo. Michael has the experience, but yes, age starts to show in his actions. Last year, he had quite a lot of small front wing losses. Michael needs a good car to succeed.

Lotus: Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean

- Kim should be much faster than Grosjean, who is out there just because Boullier is his manager. I believe that Kimi beats Grosjeanin with flying colors. Depends on the car, how high Kimi will be able to drive and how long he will be enough interested. Tests show that he is running pretty flat out from the first lap. After the break it may be good for Kimi to have an inexperienced team mate, giving all the attention of the team for himself.

Toro Rosso: Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne

- This is the most interesting duo of all. There are two Red Bull's young guys that have been considered the most promising drivers for many years. Now, they have been placed into the same team. They are both in the situation that one of them falls. I expect that sparks will fly. This year, there will be destruction and fist fights. Fortunately they have Giorgio Ascanelli as boss, who will roar if things do not go smoothly.

Force India: Paul di Resta and Nico Hülkenberg

- I do not know which one of them is faster. Di Resta had last year good races. Hülkenberg has been a good guy, but last year he was on the side. How quickly he gets used to racing again? Force India has been on a good rise, so they may have a good season coming.

Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez

- Rather equal duo. Perez now has a one year behind and little more experience, so I think he is goin to have a little bit better season. Perez saved his his tyres well last year, but it might be due to lack of experience, when he was driving smoother as GP2 is driven. Kobayashi has left to the same level in with which he nicely became to F1.

Williams: Bruno Senna and Pastor Maldonado

- I think this is one of the worst duo. Both are susceptible to errors. Senna drove last year few nice races in Renault, but faded badly by the end of year. Maldonado is little hotheaded, so I do not see them having a rosy year. It is a good opportunity for Valtteri Bottas to get to race this year, when the two get penalties for acting foolishly.

Caterham: Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli

- Heikki has an upper hand of Trulli. I do not think that any change takes place. The car is better, they will drive for little higher positions, but I do not think Trulli to be able to raise his level anymore. Heikki has an important year. Trulli must be beaten. It does not matter in which positions, because it depends on the car. When Heikki beats Trulli in the same way as last year, he have a chance to go to an another team, if Caterham does not get better.

HRT: Pedro de la Rosa and Narain Karthikeyan

- De la Rosa's hiring was a bit of surprise. The guy is pretty close to me my age. I guess the reason is that he will bring to the team in some extent his know-how, but De la Rosa has not driven anything other than the simulator for the last two years. From Karthikeyan I do not expected that much. HRT does not rise, at least not very high.

Marussia: Timo Glock and Charles Pic

The team was not at all in the first test. We'll see, if the car is completed even at the first race. The driver duo is good for them. Charles Pic is a young hungry guy. Glock has already some experience. Glock is a secure backbone driver, bringing the car to the finish line. With such a team it is important that the cars are not smashed, otherwise the game will come to the end quickly, when the money runs out.

MTV3, Jani Merimaa
I do not agree with Salo in all points. I wouldn't so sure Michael is too old. He can still be fast. Grosjean is better and faster driver that Salo thinks. Even Kimi admits that he is fast. Fist fights in STR - a joke. Bottas getting a race drive because of possible penalties of Senna or Maldonado - not a change.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 16 Feb 2012, 15:55

Most of what he says there is total bulls**.

Seems to forget that RoGro is the current GP2 champion and a damn talented racing driver.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 16 Feb 2012, 16:35

phil1993 wrote:Most of what he says there is total bulls**.

Seems to forget that RoGro is the current GP2 champion and a damn talented racing driver.
Oh, you say it so bluntly :roll:: Mika Salo is a F1 commentator in MTV3MAX channel. Not really a reason to follow their broadcasting. Maybe he is getting old and has started to forget things :zz: Kimi said even at January well before any tests that Romain is fast and you can't become a GP2 champion if you are not fast.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 16 Feb 2012, 18:43

Agreed with Phil. After not shining in his first appearance in F1, i predict a strong comeback from the franco-swiss. He'll be out there to prove himself.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Feb 2012, 09:22

Petrov news today. Probably Caterham...

icemaid
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by icemaid » 17 Feb 2012, 10:01

Petrov replaces Trulli.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 17 Feb 2012, 10:16

icemaid wrote:Petrov replaces Trulli.
You are right.

Press release here:
http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/843201/51abe42c1c/ARCHIVE

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Feb 2012, 10:22

Vitaly Petrov will race with the Caterham team during the 2012 season, taking Jarno Trulli's place at the squad, it was confirmed on Friday.

The Russian had been linked with the outfit for several weeks despite the veteran Italian having a contract with the team he had raced for since the 2010 season.

Petrov was left without a racing drive after Renault - now Lotus - signed Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean for the 2012 season.

The 27-year-old from Vyborg, Russia, will partner Heikki Kovalainen at Caterham.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 17 Feb 2012, 11:17

No Italian drivers on the grid for the first time since 1970.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 17 Feb 2012, 11:41

Petrov replacing Trulli is a good move from Caterham. The Trulli train has derailed in recent years, so it's about time they got someone more competitive.

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Feb 2012, 12:11

cformula1 wrote:Petrov replacing Trulli is a good move from Caterham. The Trulli train has derailed in recent years, so it's about time they got someone more competitive.
I agree. His time was up a couple of seasons ago tbh. He was one of those drivers who never really seemed to be a real go getter. He just plodded round and took his money. Caterham are a young up and coming team and they need a bit more drive (if you excuse the pun) and Trulli wasn't it. Heikki smoked him all last season so Petrov will be a good bit of motivation for him. I just hope he doesn't blow too much of their budget on fixing the car each time he bins it.