2011-12 Silly Season

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2011-12 Silly Season

Post by reppo » 01 Feb 2012, 16:38

phil1993 wrote:Joe is usually fairly good on the business side of F1; less so on the driver front..

One interesting point he's been writing about for a few months is Force India's financial situation and I believe he is correct for us to keep an eye on it this year.
Finance seems to become bigger issue for teams every year. No-one knows where Force India's money is coming if Mallya goes broken. How much Sahara is willing to invest. There are maybe 5 or 6 teams with solid financial ground. I don't think Lotus is making any money to Genii. How long will Cenii continue in F1. Looks like the only country in the world, where there is no shortage of money is China. So when will we see Chinese car manufacturers in F1. They probably could easily buy several teams. How about if there were names like BYD, Lifan, Chang'an (Chana), Geely, Chery, Hafei, Jianghuai (JAC), Great Wall and Roewe in F1 :blink:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Feb 2012, 16:41

Williams have their financial plan based on finishing 5th/6th in the WCC, so 9th will hit them hard. Lotus seem to think money grows on trees; Marussia operates on the budget cap pretty much; HRT is obviously in dire need of money.

Meanwhile, Peter Sauber continues to operate a fantastic little team with an annual budget of £1.99.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 01 Feb 2012, 16:57

phil1993 wrote:Williams have their financial plan based on finishing 5th/6th in the WCC, so 9th will hit them hard. Lotus seem to think money grows on trees; Marussia operates on the budget cap pretty much; HRT is obviously in dire need of money.

Meanwhile, Peter Sauber continues to operate a fantastic little team with an annual budget of £1.99.
:lol: Peter must be buying spare parts and aero kits from Lidl :lol:

frubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by frubbs » 01 Feb 2012, 18:34

Barrichello finishes Indy tests in 1st !

Using Kanaan´s car, number 11, Rubens set the best time of the for the day!

source: http://joseinaciofalou.blogspot.com/201 ... -em-1.html

I think the old man found his way...
Image 322 gps | 14 pp | 11 1st

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 01 Feb 2012, 19:13

phil1993 wrote:I'd be very surprised if Narain didn't race in India for HRT.
Whispers in Spain is that it would be surprising if he didn't race also in the other circuits for HRT.
The deal is not done yet, though, but probably on Friday (according to the whispers= Adri Mancebo's twitter)

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 02 Feb 2012, 10:30

Mmm this is interesting...
Lewis Hamilton was prevented from responding to Adrian Sutil's "coward" remark by a spokesperson as the German could yet appeal the verdict.

Earlier this week, Sutil was found guilty by a German court of causing bodily harm to Lotus co-owner Eric Lux when he cut him in the neck with a glass at a Shanghai nightclub last April.

The German, who was handed a suspended 18-month prison sentence and a €200000, seems to feel that Hamilton, who was in the nightclub at the time as the two friends celebrated his Chinese GP victory, let him down by not testifying.

In the build-up to Hamilton facing the media when he took the covers of McLaren's MP4-27, Sutil launched a scathing attack on the British driver.

"Lewis is a coward, I don't want to be friends with someone like that," Sutil is quoted as saying by Germany's Bild.

Sutil went on to say that Hamilton was "not a man" and that "even his father sent me an SMS wishing me luck" but that "from Lewis there was nothing."

Asked by Reuters to respond to Sutil's comments, Hamilton didn't get a word out before he was stopped from replying by a team spokesman.

"We've been told that Lewis shouldn't really go there (talk about the case) because it might go under appeal. So can we move on to the next question," said the spokesman.

Hamilton's response: "I'll listen to him."
Does this mean that Sutil really is guilty and Lewis didn't want to be put in an awkward position?
Or did he just bailout on his friend?

Source: http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/74 ... util-rant-

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 Feb 2012, 12:32

Yeah I believe Hamilton knew that Sutil was guilty. He didn't want to repeat the same mistake again - Australia 2009.

frubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by frubbs » 02 Feb 2012, 13:14

I Think Hamilton should have talked and say all he saw.

And IMO they took easy on Sutil!

A cut in the neck is attempted murder!! :<>:
it is a serious thing! not just a fight, like they are saying.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 02 Feb 2012, 13:27

frubbs wrote:I Think Hamilton should have talked and say all he saw.

And IMO they took easy on Sutil!

A cut in the neck is atemped murder!! :<>:
it is a serious thing! not just a fight, like they are saying.
Not, that's not an attempted murder or anything similar and that's what people should understand. Okay, Sutil did something wrong and now he has to face the consequences, but it is not fair what some people is saying.

If the prosecutor or the judge had thought for just a second that Sutil had the smallest interest in killing Lux, he would have been accused of attempted "Totschlag", but that was never the case. He was accused of just "gefährliche Körperverletzung" (of injuring somebody). Moreover, for gefährliche Körperverletzung you can get up to 10 years in jail but a) the prosecutor asked for just 1 year and 9 months and b) the judge decided 1 year and six moths, and accepted from the beginning that she was not going to send him to jail. In other words, judge and prosecutor have never thought it really was a "bad" or "evil" case.

frubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by frubbs » 02 Feb 2012, 13:42

hum....

You don´t have to have interest in killing to be charged so.
A clear example of this is driving in alcohol or drugs. If you get caught in these conditions, the law will understand that you were trying to kill somebody with your car. Or, at least, assuming the risk of killing someone.
and then, you answer for that.

In fact, Sutil just injured somebody, and he didnt wanted to kill (as far as we know), but he took the risk of killing.

in other hand, if the prosecutor himself didn´t see in that way, I may be thinking in a very conservative/rigorous way. :huh:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 02 Feb 2012, 14:07

frubbs wrote:hum....

A clear example of this is driving in alcohol or drugs. If you get caught in these conditions, the law will understand that you were trying to kill somebody with your car. Or, at least, assuming the risk of killing someone.

In fact, Sutil just injured somebody, and he didnt wanted to kill (as far as we know), but he took the risk of killing.

in other hand, if the prosecutor himself didn´t see in that way, I may be thinking in a very conservative/rigorous way. :huh:
If Lux had died then it could have been involuntary manslaughter, but I do not believe Sutil wanted to kill him. There is no laws against stupidity or being stupid and drunk like a sailor. In Finnish law there is murder, voluntary manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter under mitigating, manslaughter, and involuntary manslaughter. Sentences vary from life in prison to fines. I don't know German law, but looks like Sutil got some extra for being famous. Anyway, do we know enough facts to be sure what really happened, and what the accusation and sentence should have been.

frubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by frubbs » 02 Feb 2012, 14:11

reppo wrote:stupid and drunk like a sailor.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 02 Feb 2012, 14:34

If the car is good Hamilton wants to continue in McLaren. So what else is new.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... later.html
At least he has high self-esteem:
A determined Hamilton said: ''I want to win every race. I think I can.

''I think I've the ability to. If the car is where we hope there's no reason why we can't do that.
''hmm''

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 02 Feb 2012, 14:43

frubbs wrote:hum....

The thing is that the prosecutor never thought about charging for something like that but chose something much milder, and of all the possible sentences for that milder thing, she decided to ask for much less than she could. That usually means that, whatever happened that night, is milder than what people think that happened, or it is not so straightforward. For example, from what the German press has reported, it seems the prosecutor accepted Sutil felt threatened when Lux came too close to him during the discussion/argument/fight (whatever it really was); what it seems she didn't accept is that Sutil had tried to push Lux back, she thinks Sutil tried to hit Lux (not necessarily with the glass).

One thing that is different in Germany to some other countries is that, up to a certain sentence-time, a person must not necessarily go to jail. And judges play with that when they make their decision. Quite often, a low sentence that will be suspended is a kind of slap in the hand to the defendant by the judge, a bit like "you naughty boy, don't do that ever again! or you will get into real trouble".

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Feb 2012, 20:45

HRT look likely to confirm Karthikeyan tomorrow; Van der Garde would seemingly end up as Caterham's third driver as Petrov's sponsors appear to not have stumped up enough.