Stewards decisions | Ferrari could face FIA sanctions

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Which penalty do you think fitted for the race in Valencia today?

1) Yes for 5 second penalty
17%
2) No for 5 second penalty
No votes
3) Penalties should be handed out during the race
71%
4) Penalties should be investigated after the race
13%

Total votes: 24

RagingJamaican
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Stewards decisions | Ferrari could face FIA sanctions

Post by RagingJamaican » 27 Jun 2010, 20:39

The stewards decisions seem to get worse year by year, this year they are becoming way too lenient on decisions, handing out warnings and reprimands. Today we saw a 5 second penalty handed out to drivers after the race, whats 5s going to do? Drop you 2 positions at the worst? I also think giving penalties after the race is ridiculous unless the incident is near the end of the race. Giving the penalty after means that the team can limtate the damage and put in fastest laps and so on, so they hardly get the right punished. As we saw with Lewis Hamilton today, he got a penalty 20 laps later, this did not have much affect on his race.

My main point is, is that the penalties should be handed out immediately so it does the damage to the driver whose broken the rules race.

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Stewards and their ridiculous decisions

Post by dazmoffman » 27 Jun 2010, 22:40

I understand the point uor trying to make but unfortunatly these decisions cant be n immediatly as i expect more than 1 person is involved plus many video angles need to be seen then the message needs to be re-laid to the team then to the driver.
And i too have no idea why a 5 sec penalty for speeding after the race sound like a dog sh!£ pudding to me? 5 secs is not a penalty.

RagingJamaican
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by RagingJamaican » 27 Jun 2010, 22:45

dazmoffman wrote:I understand the point uor trying to make but unfortunatly these decisions cant be n immediatly as i expect more than 1 person is involved plus many video angles need to be seen then the message needs to be re-laid to the team then to the driver.
And i too have no idea why a 5 sec penalty for speeding after the race sound like a dog sh!£ pudding to me? 5 secs is not a penalty.
20 laps which is probably half an hour, is way more than a lot of time considering how much technology they have.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 27 Jun 2010, 23:16

well if Alonso didnt speak about it on team radio they wouldnt notice (maybe after race), so its stewarst fault for making the decisions very late when everything is over

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 28 Jun 2010, 00:12

Just an interesting note of the time it takes for rulings to occur: I was watching the Red Bull Air Race in New York last weekend and their stewards could make rulings in seconds, even though the things they're judging (angle of wings, altitude, etc.) occur in literally fractions of seconds. If they can do that, why do F1 stewards take 30 mins+ (sometimes even days) to issue rulings?
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

RagingJamaican
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by RagingJamaican » 28 Jun 2010, 00:14

Ferrariman60 wrote:Just an interesting note of the time it takes for rulings to occur: I was watching the Red Bull Air Race in New York last weekend and their stewards could make rulings in seconds, even though the things they're judging (angle of wings, altitude, etc.) occur in literally fractions of seconds. If they can do that, why do F1 stewards take 30 mins+ (sometimes even days) to issue rulings?
Well said my main man ferrariman!

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 28 Jun 2010, 05:45

Ferrariman60 wrote:Just an interesting note of the time it takes for rulings to occur: I was watching the Red Bull Air Race in New York last weekend and their stewards could make rulings in seconds, even though the things they're judging (angle of wings, altitude, etc.) occur in literally fractions of seconds. If they can do that, why do F1 stewards take 30 mins+ (sometimes even days) to issue rulings?
Well Said.I totally agree with u. :thumbsup:

cacor
car driver
car driver

better penalized than not

Post by cacor » 28 Jun 2010, 09:21

cant believe hamilton`s luck this time :<>:

The Blur
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by The Blur » 28 Jun 2010, 09:23

Heinz Harald Frentzen. :p
Proud Kubica fan!

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: better penalized than not

Post by alex1369 » 28 Jun 2010, 13:59

cacor wrote:cant believe hamilton`s luck this time :<>:
:), well its the stewards fault, they took tooo long and then when they given him the penalty it was over, he made a nice gap and his race is saved, but i think if Alonso wasnt complaining on team radio then there might been even worse for Lucky Lonso, it was about time Lewis had some luck, Alonso had it in Australia when Webber smacked Hamilton out and in Barcelona when Lewis had tyre failure, and everyone was laughing at Lewis, and i can say look who is laughing now :lol: :lol:

but dont worry Alonso will come back - we are on half season , so anything can happen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jun 2010, 14:07

Here is my take on it:

- Firstly, the Stewards have to take fault for a horrendous deployment of the Safety Car. It should pick up the leader, not the second place man so in that case, I think the stewards should have let Hamilton & Co go.
- Lewis Hamilton made a split second decision that was incorrect and he was right to be penalise
- Ferrari undoubtedly lost out
- However, the main point is with the time it took to deal with the situation. What goes around comes around. No Ferrari fans were complaining in 2008 when Hamilton was being penalised unfairly, now a penalty has not been as severe as many would like and the whingers come crawling out again. For me, Alonso has been lucky this year so Valencia was his dollop of bad luck (remember winning courtesy of Red Bull failure, being 4th in China thanks to the SC, 2nd in Spain thanks to Hamilton & Vettel failures)

RagingJamaican
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by RagingJamaican » 28 Jun 2010, 14:22

phil1993 wrote:Here is my take on it:

- Firstly, the Stewards have to take fault for a horrendous deployment of the Safety Car. It should pick up the leader, not the second place man so in that case, I think the stewards should have let Hamilton & Co go.
- Lewis Hamilton made a split second decision that was incorrect and he was right to be penalise
- Ferrari undoubtedly lost out
- However, the main point is with the time it took to deal with the situation. What goes around comes around. No Ferrari fans were complaining in 2008 when Hamilton was being penalised unfairly, now a penalty has not been as severe as many would like and the whingers come crawling out again. For me, Alonso has been lucky this year so Valencia was his dollop of bad luck (remember winning courtesy of Red Bull failure, being 4th in China thanks to the SC, 2nd in Spain thanks to Hamilton & Vettel failures)
They usually do let the leaders go by until the picked up the race leader.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jun 2010, 14:27

Autosport have a good article on it on Autosport Plus. Basically saying that Ferrari are right to feel hard done by but have overstepped the line with their comments on the race being manipulated. The FIA acted rightly.

The Blur
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by The Blur » 28 Jun 2010, 16:40

I might be slow, but was anymore action taken, after the drive-through penalty?
Proud Kubica fan!

RagingJamaican
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by RagingJamaican » 28 Jun 2010, 16:41

The Blur wrote:I might be slow, but was anymore action taken, after the drive-through penalty?
No there wasn't, and i don't see why there should be.