It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 07:52

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 10:21  

Virgin confirm Glock & d'Ambrosio for 2011
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88740

John Booth: “Jerome had been on our radar for quite some time as a driver we should seriously consider for a 2011 race seat. We had followed his progress in GP2 closely and it was clear he was ‘one to watch’, but when we put him in the car for the four race weekends and the Abu Dhabi test he surpassed even our own expectations.”

“He slotted into the team perfectly and everyone took a shine to him, including our partners and the media. Apart from his obvious skill at the wheel of a Formula One car, he is an immensely personable young guy who is a pleasure to have around. He has secured this seat absolutely on merit and I think coupled with Timo we have the perfect blend of youth, experience, speed and potential and we can’t wait to see what they can achieve together next season.

Marussia Virgin Racing’s new driver, Jerome D’Ambrosio: “I’m thrilled to have achieved my goal of a Formula One race seat with Marussia Virgin Racing. When I came to the team in September this year it was everything I could hope for. I had a tough test to complete because there was a lot of competition for this seat, but at the same time I got on well with the team and felt that I had found my home.I feel very comfortable with them – they are extremely professional and ambitious people and it is exciting to think that I can be a part of shaping the team’s future. I would like to thank everyone at Marussia Virgin Racing for the faith they have shown in me and everyone at Gravity Sport Management for the support they have given to my career so far.”

Timo Glock: “My congratulations to Jerome on joining the team and I look forward to working with him next year. After a tough but rewarding debut season for our team we now have a lot of hard work to do to take Marussia Virgin Racing to the level we should be performing at in 2011. I for one cannot wait to get started in the new car when testing begins in February.”

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 15:39  
F1 Driver

Interesting. Two thoughts:

1) It's really a tough time for young drivers. With rookie superstars like Hamilton and Vettel having set the bar so high in recent years, the teams' and the public's expectations towards new entrants have risen, while the game has arguably gotten tougher with the ban on testing. I think a few established drivers of the current field just wouldn't be where they are if they hadn't been given a few seasons to learn and improve. Granted, Di Grassi didn't exactly cover himself in glory this year, but I think it would've taken a prodigy of an altogether different caliber to impress anybody at the wheel of a Virgin.

2) Happy for d'Ambrosio, but let's not forget he didn't have the easiest of times in GP2 in 2010. It got to the point where he had to sit out a race so that the team could see if another driver could possibly extract a bit more from the car. Let's see what he makes of this opportunity, I'm not expecting any stellar results though.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 15:49  
F1 Routinier

François wrote:
Interesting. Two thoughts:

1) It's really a tough time for young drivers. With rookie superstars like Hamilton and Vettel having set the bar so high in recent years, the teams' and the public's expectations towards new entrants have risen, while the game has arguably gotten tougher with the ban on testing. I think a few established drivers of the current field just wouldn't be where they are if they hadn't been given a few seasons to learn and improve. Granted, Di Grassi didn't exactly cover himself in glory this year, but I think it would've taken a prodigy of an altogether different caliber to impress anybody at the wheel of a Virgin.

2) Happy for d'Ambrosio, but let's not forget he didn't have the easiest of times in GP2 in 2010. It got to the point where he had to sit out a race so that the team could see if another driver could possibly extract a bit more from the car. Let's see what he makes of this opportunity, I'm not expecting any stellar results though.

I totally agree with your points about young drivers. F1 teams are (understandibly so) overconcerned about money and sponsors these days, and I think quite a few worthy talents have suffered for it. I'm thinking about Sebastien Bourdais, Scott Speed, and Nico Hulkenberg.

Ferrariman60
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 16:02  

I wouldn't out Bourdais or Speed in there, but certainly Grosjean, Hulkenberg are two

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 16:54  
F1 Routinier

phil1993 wrote:
I wouldn't out Bourdais or Speed in there, but certainly Grosjean, Hulkenberg are two

i agree. both bourdais and speed got some time, though speed was slightly unfirtunate IMO

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 17:06  

No, he was arrogant, precocious and not as fast as Liuzzi. He got enough time.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 19:49  
F1 Driver

Bourdais wasn't exactly a young gun; it was more a case of an experienced driver failing to adapt to F1, and not too happy to be back fighting for 18th place when he had just won consecutive Champ Car titles.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 12:11  

Petrov confirmed at Renault for 2 years
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88745

Renault F1 Team Limited has now formally become Lotus Renault GP Limited in the eyes of the UK government...

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 12:59  
F1 Driver

2 years? I guess second year will be on conditional given that lots of drivers will be free agent by then. If it's not, then Petrov must be bringing lots of money.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:03  
F1 Rookie

Glad he's been given a chance unlike lots of drivers of late.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:48  

1 | Sebastian Vettel | Red Bull Racing Renault
2 | Mark Webber | Red Bull Racing Renault

3 | Lewis Hamilton | Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
4 | Jenson Button | Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

5 | Fernando Alonso | Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
6 | Felipe Massa | Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

7 | Michael Schumacher | Mercedes Grand Prix
8 | Nico Rosberg | Mercedes Grand Prix

9 | Robert Kubica | Lotus Renault GP
10 | Vitaly Petrov | Lotus Renault GP

11 | Rubens Barrichello | Williams Cosworth
12 | Pastor Maldonado | Williams Cosworth

14 | TBA | Force India Mercedes
15 | TBA | Force India Mercedes

16 | Kamui Kobayashi | Sauber Ferrari
17 | Sergio Perez | Sauber Ferrari

18 | Sebastien Buemi | Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari
19 | Jaime Alguersuari | Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari

20 | Jarno Trulli | Team Lotus Renault
21 | Heikki Kovalainen | Team Lotus Renault

22 | TBA | Hispania Racing Team Cosworth
23 | TBA | Hispania Racing Team Cosworth

24 | Timo Glock | Marussia Virgin Cosworth
25 | Jerome d'Ambrosio | Marussia Virgin Cosworth

Only 4 seats up for grabs now with Sutil claiming he has a Force India contract. HRT are likely to run with a rookie & an experienced driver, but not Senna or Chandhok. Rumours are possibly Van der Garde. Kral has ruled himself out. Whoever has the largest sack of money will probably win it.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:53  
F1 Legend

What is your plan over the next couple of months before testing begins in February?

Petrov wrote:
I was thinking about spending a few days in Maranello this winter, but I have been told it probably wasn’t the best idea….

:lol:

Ali wrote:
2 years? I guess second year will be on conditional given that lots of drivers will be free agent by then. If it's not, then Petrov must be bringing lots of money

to retain Russian interest in F1 :p
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 14:33  
F1 Driver

iceman1 wrote:
Ali wrote:
2 years? I guess second year will be on conditional given that lots of drivers will be free agent by then. If it's not, then Petrov must be bringing lots of money

to retain Russian interest in F1 :p

For what cost? Another championship spot at the end of year?

Well, it's a business deal then, not a driver one :n

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 19:29  

What are we to read from this:

Giedo Van der Garde wrote:
Great news on the way!!! #nevergiveup

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 19:38  
F1 Routinier

phil1993 wrote:
What are we to read from this:

Giedo Van der Garde wrote:
Great news on the way!!! #nevergiveup

many possibilities
1) he got a seat at HRT/ FI (if at all HRT IMO)
2) he will be presented a toy car or something else for christmas, which he had been hoping to get since childhood
3) HRT decided not to choose him, which is great news in a way for some people

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 96  Next