Red Bull collision - Turkish Grand Prix

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who was to blame?

Sebastian Vettel
61%
Mark Webber
21%
Both
18%

Total votes: 33

phil1993

Re: Red Bull collision - Turkish Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 14:16

Letter to Red Bull fans from Christian Horner
You may have already read on the team website my answers to some of the important issue which were raised after the grand prix on Sunday. I do however want to address you, the fans of Red Bull Racing directly.

There has been a lot of criticism on the sites and within the Community and while I can't answer every point, there are some which need to be addressed.

Firstly, the accident itself was a racing incident. We have two very capable, very determined drivers in what has proved so far this season to be a very quick car. With the McLarens putting immense pressure on our two drivers Mark and Sebastian reacted the way you would expect racing drivers to respond: they raced each other. This has happened many times between them over the last 18 months, and previously they abided by what we have always asked: that as team-mates they show respect for each other and allow one another enough room on the race track.

Secondly as far as blame goes, we win as a team and we lose as a team and on Sunday we lost as a team. Having looked at all the information it's clear it was a racing accident that shouldn't have happened. After looking at all the facts that weren't available immediately after the race, the entire team, Dr Marko included, fully shares this view.

Thirdly we now have to re-group. We are a strong team and we'll sit down and discuss what we can learn from this incident. We have immense team spirit here at Red Bull Racing, both Sebastian and Mark are intelligent individuals and we will have the situation resolved before we go to Montreal.

And finally as I have always pledged, both drivers, will continue to be given equal treatment. The Turkish Grand Prix has been a costly lesson for both drivers and we are confident that this situation won't happen again.

We still have a long way to go this year until Abu Dhabi and whichever Red Bull Racing driver you're behind in the fight for the world championship, I hope we - and they - can count on your support,

Christian

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 01 Jun 2010, 14:32

blizzard wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Or maybe Red Bull just kept voting
I wish Red Bull would just leave F1, they´re such a plastic team!
No tradition in car manufacturing or Formul One. Just a rich man with too much money behind them.

I want to see proper manufacturers or established private teams like Williams, McLaren, Ferrari, Sauber, Renault etc.

THEY are Formula One, not Red Bull.

These rich guys buying sports teams really destroy the soul of sport imo.

It´s the same with Chelsea and Man City, forever mediocre, but then a sugardaddy comes in and changes everything within months.

It´s really a slap in the face for those teams who are competing and working hard for over 20 years...
Currently they have 'Formula One' to win ... i say they Red Bull is well and mighty Formula One Team giving hard time to Manufacturers :lol:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 14:51

Vettel showed once again that he can't overtake :p Only wins when he leads from the front. People often cite the fact that he's inexperienced but he can't really say that any longer - this is his 3rd full season in F1 and Turkey was his 50th race. Lewis won the championship in his 35th race... (blimey, 2007 seems like yesterday when LH was the new great rookie)

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2010, 14:56

Helmut Marko said that if Vettel didnt overtake Webber, then Lewis would have overtaken him. Thats the silliest excuse that anyone has heard off.
The issue here is that Vettel turned into Webber and caused the collision, but by stating something which actually is not totally related, he has clearly indicated favoritism in the RB camp. It would have been 'somewhat' understandable if Vettel had clearly overtaken Webber, and then Webber had tried to take the position back and then the collision occurred.
One more thing it indicates their lack of faith in Vettels defensive driving skills ot a completely rubbish excuse, because at that point, actually there was a slighly larger gap between RBs and McLarens compared to a few lap before.
Quite poor handling of the situation by McLaren. Now, i feel it would be better if Mark leaves the team. Not only is RB supporting Vettel, but he also has full support of Uncle Bernie.
The surprising result in F1s official website poll is clearly down to the much stronger fan following of Vettel when compared to Webber

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 14:59

Conducted and provided by Red Bull Racing's press office.

Q. What happened on lap 40 of the Turkish GP?

Christian Horner: We had a unique situation during the Turkish GP where the first four cars were separated by two seconds, with Mark having led every lap until lap 40. The race was the fastest of the season to date with all four drivers pushing each other extremely hard. On lap 38, Mark changed his mixture setting based on his fuel consumption to a slightly leaner mode, which had an average lap time loss of about 0.18 seconds, whilst maintaining the same revs. Sebastian had conserved more fuel than Mark during the race and therefore was able to run in a slightly better mode for an additional couple of laps.

On lap 38 and 39, Sebastian's pace picked up and he closed right up to the back of Mark while under considerable pressure from Hamilton behind. After a very strong run through Turn 9, Sebastian got a run and strong tow and moved to the left to pass Mark. Mark held the inside line and adopted a defensive position, which he is entitled to do. When Sebastian was three quarters of the way past, he moved to the right. As Sebastian moved to the right, Mark held his position and the ensuing result was contact that resulted in Sebastian retiring, Mark damaging the front-end of his car and the team losing a one two finish. Ultimately both drivers should have given each other more room.

Q. Was either driver to blame for the incident?

CH: What we expect from our drivers, as team mates, is that they show respect for each other and allow one another enough room on the race track. Unfortunately neither driver did this on Sunday and the net result was an incident between the two. During the previous six one-two finishes we have achieved, there have been many incidences of close racing between our drivers and they have previously always abided by this understanding.

Q. What do you think about Sebastian's actions when he got out of the car?

CH: The adrenaline was flowing and obviously there's a great deal of frustration when you've just crashed out of a race. It will be discussed and I am certain that the air will be cleared before Canada.

Q. Some people commented after the race that Mark was to blame - why was that?

CH: Ultimately we win as a team and we lose as a team and on Sunday we lost as a team, as a result of our two drivers having an incident. Having looked at all the information it's clear that it was a racing accident that shouldn't have happened between two team-mates. After looking at all the facts that weren't available immediately after the race, Dr. Marko also fully shares this view.

Q. What do you think would have happened if Mark and Sebastian hadn't collided?

CH: Our priority as a team is to finish first and second, irrelevant of the order. The Turkish GP was the closest race of probably the last twelve months with significant pressure coming from both of the McLarens. Sebastian's pace improved from lap 37 onwards and he appeared to be the faster of the two Red Bull drivers. Had the incident not have happened, I believe we would have achieved a one-two finish and a maximum score for the second race in succession.

Q. Were you happy that Sebastian challenged Mark for the lead at that point in the race? You had a one-two, so why not stick with that?

CH: With the pace of the McLarens and with it looking like Sebastian was the quicker of the two Red Bull cars, the priority was to win the race. With intense pressure from Hamilton behind, who was in a McLaren that had a significant straight line speed advantage, it would have been impossible to back Sebastian off. Therefore it was acceptable to us for him to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre.

Q. Were there any team orders given for Sebastian to pass Mark?

CH: Neither driver was given any instruction to change position. There are no team orders within Red Bull Racing, other than that the drivers should race each other with respect.

Q. How will you resolve the situation?

CH: We're a very strong team and we will sit down and discuss this openly with the drivers in order to learn from what has happened and avoid a situation like this arising again. One of the strengths of Red Bull Racing is the team spirit here, which has contributed to the performance that we have achieved so far this season. The drivers are both intelligent individuals and this issue will be resolved prior to the Canadian Grand Prix.

Q. How will you deal with the drivers? Have you already spoken to them?

CH: I have spoken with both drivers, who are both disappointed with what happened. They recognise that they represent the team and so are not only disappointed for their own loss, but the loss of points for the team who put in so much hard work before the race.

Q. What's the plan going forwards for the team? Will one of the drivers now be given number one status?

CH: Both drivers, as has always been the case, will continue to be given equal treatment. The Turkish Grand Prix has been a costly lesson for both drivers and we are confident that this situation won't happen again.

Q. Were there any positives from the race for the team?

CH: Up until lap 40 the race had been very positive for us. Despite our significant straight line speed disadvantage to the McLarens, we had managed to not only maintain position with Mark through the pit stops against Hamilton, but we had also managed through strategy and excellent pit stop work for Sebastian to leapfrog Hamilton during the pit stops. We were being pushed very hard, but appeared to have the race within our grasp until lap 40. We will now move on from this as a team and concentrate on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Q. What is Mr. Mateschitz's opinion of the incident?

CH: Dietrich has spoken with both drivers following the incident. He has always supported both drivers equally and summed it up by saying, "s*** happens... we shouldn't talk about the past, but concentrate on the future. The fact is that we not only have the fastest car, but also two of the best and fastest drivers".

Seems to me to be a half-hearted attempt at not seeming biased. But what he says, you can interpret it as such: 'The plan was for Vettel to lead the team to a 1-2 finish and Webber to defend against Hamilton'. No matter what they say, I think they are favouring Vettel. They pitted him earlier to give him clear air so they could vault Hamilton and then they said that his fuel was favourable. Also, I like the fact that Horner got 2 facts wrong in the opening line - Button led for a few laps before pitting and the gap was about 3s, not 2s. Also, Hamilton was in fuel save mode for 30 laps so hadn't suddenly attacked the RBs.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2010, 15:07

Yup , as i said in previous post. there was a gap b/w RBs and Mclarens at that point

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 01 Jun 2010, 15:15

phil1993 wrote:Vettel showed once again that he can't overtake :p Only wins when he leads from the front. People often cite the fact that he's inexperienced but he can't really say that any longer - this is his 3rd full season in F1 and Turkey was his 50th race. Lewis won the championship in his 35th race... (blimey, 2007 seems like yesterday when LH was the new great rookie)
Partially convinced .. lets find it out :O

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 15:19

But its in the wet. Overtaking is easier for everyone in the wet. I've only ever seen Vettel make a few moves in the dry, he hasn't got anything on Hamilton, Button or Alonso when it comes to passing...

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 01 Jun 2010, 15:25

phil1993 wrote:But its in the wet. Overtaking is easier for everyone in the wet. I've only ever seen Vettel make a few moves in the dry, he hasn't got anything on Hamilton, Button or Alonso when it comes to passing...
Its never easy but i agree regarding vettel. Couldn't find any video's on youtube other than this :p
Vettel vs Senna

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2010, 15:26

Vettel is quite special in the wet IMO (something like Hamilton). Jenson is consistent and error-free but definetly not the quickest. and as one could see, Vettel was quite quicker than Jenson and Jenson did not fight too much

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 15:27

The RB5 was a superb wet car though. Hamilton was the best in the wet in 2007 and 2008 - much better than Alonso & Kovalainen were. But Vettel was nowhere in China 2010 when the car was average

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2010, 15:32

It might depend on how wet it is i guess.
Italy 2008 and the one where he collided with Webber (japan was it??) were good races by him again.
Similarly sutil too is quite good in rain, but he was poor in Italy 2008, so it depends IMO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 15:37

Yeah, I mean Vettel is undoubtedly one of the best drivers in the wet. I just feel that there isn't enough evidence to confirm it. Hamilton has been good in the wet usually (China 2009 aside), Button is very good, Sutil quite good.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2010, 15:51

Its not the first time that Vettel has been a little aggressive and stupid with his decisions

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2010, 16:23

Yeah! going towards the right towards exit of pitlane was silly by him