Red Bull collision - Turkish Grand Prix

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who was to blame?

Sebastian Vettel
61%
Mark Webber
21%
Both
18%

Total votes: 33

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 30 May 2010, 17:49

Christian Horner said, that Webber needed to save fuel. Vettel had a little bit more fuel at that point, he could attack 1 more lap than Webber, so it was his only chance to overtake Webber. May be Vettel thougt Webber would let him go because of that
Last edited by iceman1 on 31 May 2010, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged Posts
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: 2010 Turkish Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 30 May 2010, 18:37

Webber in fuel-save mode before crash, and Vettel had a lap left at full pace.
Speaking in the Istanbul paddock on Sunday night, team principal Christian Horner said that he was finally aware of what had happened in the race.

"We now have all the facts," he said. "Mark had changed down into a fuel saving mode that cost him a little bit of performance on the straights, which also explains how Sebastian got a very clear run on him.

"The large mistake remains that not enough room was given, and the explanation is there on how Sebastian had managed to get into the tow. He had managed to save an extra kilogramme of fuel - as both cars start the race with the same amount of fuel.

"Effectively he had one more lap of the optimum engine mode, but we couldn't back him off because he was under pressure from Lewis Hamilton behind."

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 30 May 2010, 22:50

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 31 May 2010, 00:37

Lewis Hamilton on RBRs crash - "it was right in front of me. It felt like watching an action movie." :lol:

gothebulls
car driver
car driver

Post by gothebulls » 31 May 2010, 03:57

"He [Vettel] was already ahead, at least two metres ahead, and there was a corner to the left side coming, so he had to go for the line," he said. "He cannot brake on the dirt because for sure he knows what happens". - Helmut Marko

this guy is a cancer in the red bull team. he has always favoured vettel and never ever had a nice thing to say about webber. i cant stand the idea of this guy pouring poison in the ears of horner and mateschitz.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 31 May 2010, 06:47

Mostly all of has seen the failed attempt of Vettel On Webber @ the Turkish GP. The crash screwed up the entire strategy of RBR and we will see at the end of the season how its going to effect the Drivers & the Constructors Championship. As all of us will be having our opinions on the crash lets see how many of us can give a verdict considering we were the Stewards at the race & we have to blame one driver.

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Red Bull collision - Turkish Grand Prix

Post by R.? » 31 May 2010, 09:52

Difficult call. I read that the team had told Webber that Vettel was coming and not to make life hard for him, because he was faster. If they setteld, the team said, Hamilton would probalby overtake both of them. So to secure the victory and to keep Hamilton at distance, they wanted Webber not to fight Vettel too hard. Said Helmut Marko. But Webber squeezed him very tight. On the other hand, it was Vettel going over to the right and hitting Webber. I think they were both to blame. Webber should not fight him too hard, as Vettel was much faster down the straight at that point and already passed him. And Vettel should not have gone to the right hand side, to avoid the collision.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 31 May 2010, 11:43

Of course it was Vettel´s mistake. Once again showing no patience and beeing too eager, he pressed himself through and then lost the car under braking and slid into Webber. That´s pretty much it.
Vettel should do all of us a favour and join Indycar or Rally.
I´ve never seen a driver who was more overhyped in Germany than him.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 31 May 2010, 17:53

Both of them fail at playing the team game. Big time.

Vettel also fails at driving. Why would you overtake on the inside when your opponent's defending the inside line, which also happens to be the next corner's dirty side? With the momentum he had, a move on the outside would've worked perfectly, forcing Webber to brake earlier. But that's just my opinion, and I certainly wasn't in the car!

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 31 May 2010, 19:42

Vettel's fault, undoubtedly. Webber gave him enough room to overtake either side, then Vettel not only took the wrong side, but he hit Webber, which is inexcusable given that they were leading 1-2. The gestures immediately after the accident were unneccesary too.

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 31 May 2010, 20:07

Just placed this on FB, Aparently majority there thinks it was Webber's fault. :fear: :

'I think Webber was correct to do so, to keep the line - it's may be a team sport but there is only one title that matters and only one man can have it. WDC. Everyone was mixing Massa with dirt when he was an easy target for Lewis couple of years ago. Everyone was like - 'fight, you little moth.....er!!!'
Just because one is overtaking another, ... See moredoesn't mean that other should give up as soon as cars are equal. Even more. Everyone liked when Lewsi fought back and even touched Jenson, just being lucky not crushing cars. Rightly so.
Vettel should go back to school for couple of days and learn to overtake when the other one is fighting back.

Just to remind - waht was the reaction on Alonso making gestures when he had difficulties overtaking DeGrassi. I am sure many were: he (DG) didn't have to give you way as granted, don't cry - overtake.

Why is it so different this time?'

iceman1, thank you for those screenshots.
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 31 May 2010, 21:48

If this accident has shown anything it shows how Red Bull undoubtedly prefer Vettel over Webber, which could have huge repercussions for the championship. It means they have two drivers stealing points off each other and also a team in conflict between each other.

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 31 May 2010, 21:53

swca92 wrote:If this accident has shown anything it shows how Red Bull undoubtedly prefer Vettel over Webber, which could have huge repercussions for the championship. It means they have two drivers stealing points off each other and also a team in conflict between each other.
McLaren 2007 - loss of WDC as the result :n
EDIT: nothing against McLaren at all, but SUCH an example
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

ChrisR20XX
car driver
car driver

Post by ChrisR20XX » 01 Jun 2010, 00:34

alex1369 wrote:Lewis Hamilton on RBRs crash - "it was right in front of me. It felt like watching an action movie." :lol:
I'm asking, if there is any onboard of lewis hamilton showing the accident ? :lol:

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 01 Jun 2010, 03:01

Denorth wrote:
swca92 wrote:If this accident has shown anything it shows how Red Bull undoubtedly prefer Vettel over Webber, which could have huge repercussions for the championship. It means they have two drivers stealing points off each other and also a team in conflict between each other.
McLaren 2007 - loss of WDC as the result :n
EDIT: nothing against McLaren at all, but SUCH an example
mclaren drivers are also stealing points off each other.... i hope it wont turn out to be messy as the season goes on.