It is currently 24 Jul 2017, 16:34

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is the penalty justified?
Yes - Michael deserved the penalty 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
No - The move was legal 68%  68%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix - Schumacher on Alonso
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 17:04  

Discuss

Post subject: Re: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix - Schumacher on Alonso
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 17:16  
F1 Routinier

Normally I have my own opionion. But the rules are just too difficult to understand. So I am just following the stewards, illegal. Still, the overtaking manoeuvre itself was brilliant.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 17:47  
F1 Routinier

i do not like Michael, but his move IMO was quite brilliant. As Ross showed, there were green flags after the SC line, and as he said, not only Michael , most of the other cars went full throttle after the SC. Now, why would they do that if the SC still applied.
Quite a poor decision IMO

Post subject: Re: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 18:37  
car driver

I'm not a fan of Schumacher ( i don't like what he did in the past ) but i have to back Schumacher on this one.
I think it's ridiculous that overtaking is not allowed,
1) while the safety car line is passed,
2) and the safety car came in

If overtaking was really not allowed ( as the FIA claims ), then the safety car should've stayed out untill the chequered flag.

Now, it's just about "you didn't read the details of the rules well enough" and that's not what F1 should be about.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 18:40  
F1 Routinier

isn't it the first grid penalty of the season? I remember there where only fines till schumacher...

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 18:50  
F1 Driver

I think it's one of those loopholes, really. It's obvious whoever came up with the rules didn't have such a situation in mind; and, in sheer sportsmanship terms, Schumacher's move was very, very cheap, shameless and meaningless. Illegal, though? Very difficult to call: you'd have to decide whether the SC was called in because the track was clear or because the race was over, and whether the teams and drivers were provided with sufficient information on the matter.

Brawn and Schumacher were quick to take advantage of this ambiguous situation, so hats off to them; but it seems that everyone else had interpreted it quite differently. The rules clearly need some clarification;I don't think anybody should be penalized unless everything was crystal clear in the first place.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:14  
F1 Champion

It's ridiculous Michael got a 20s penalty! It should have been a 25s penalty! :lol:

No, srsly, why is it 20s instead of 25s..?

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:28  
F1 Routinier

I think rules are rules, and I'm glad that they've been enforced properly. I'm a big Schumacher fan, but I think his penalty was fair. The rules are that no overtaking is allowed until each individual driver crosses the start/finish line. Schumacher passed Alonso before that line and did not concede position, so the penalty is justified.

Ferrariman60
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:32  
F1 Rookie

JoostLamers wrote:
It's ridiculous Michael got a 20s penalty! It should have been a 25s penalty! :lol:

No, srsly, why is it 20s instead of 25s..?

It`s a rule may be. :lol: Glad that FIA followed that one.

:rofl: :sleep:

http://twitter.com/_amol_joshi
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:35  
F1 Rookie

Why people wants to make controversy where its not, the rule its very clear you cannot overtake before finish line.

If you forgot to read the rule doesn´t mean that you are ok. :O

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:41  
GP2 Driver

Eric_Cartman wrote:
The Immortal Dragon wrote:
Schumacher handed 20-second penalty

By Pablo Elizalde Sunday, May 16th 2010, 16:37 GMT

Michael Schumacher has been handed a 20-second penalty for having overtaken Fernando Alonso on the final corner of the Monaco Grand Prix.

The Mercedes GP driver passed Alonso just as the safety car had left the circuit on the final lap, and stewards deemed the race was still finishing under the safety car.

Under rule 40.13, which states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking," Schumacher has been given a penalty.

The German, who had passed Alonso for sixth, drops down to 12th, meaning Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi's scores the final point for 10th.

ok, Alonso can overtake under yellow, Massa can drive over the white line but Schumacher can't overtake under the green flag? That is very strange... :<>:

Alonso cannot foresee an accident in front of him and see a yellow light just above his head whilst alongside another car, Massa did not CROSS the line (which is what the penalty is for), and apparently Schumacher violated an article of the F1 regulations.
Most importantly, nobody knows what the race directors told the teams about the last SC period. They could have well said that the race would end under SC and then bring the SC in anyway. (I admit it was confusing, but it's nobody's fault) We have NO IDEA what the teams were being told and therefore should not make any conclusion regarding the manouvre.
What we can say is that everything looked weird and that surely there was some inconsistency, as green flags were waved.
But that's not Ferrari's fault, is it? They told Felipe and Fernando to not overtake anybody (and in fact look how far Alonso is from Hamilton) because they knew of the rule, whilst Brawn and Schumacher tried a little trick of theirs, also because they didn't know of the rule (or perhaps they ignored it trying to get away with it).
We cannot judge without having all the required information, which we don't and never will have.

PS: Also, I have no idea why Mercedes are appealing.
The drive-through penalty cannot be appealed, so Michael will finish 12th regardless of the outcome of their appeal.
I just have no idea why they are doing that.

2008 - Great Britain (Sunday)
2009 - Great Britain (Friday)
2010 - Great Britain (Sunday)
2011 - Belgium (Sunday)
2012 - Germany (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Last edited by The Immortal Dragon on 16 May 2010, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:44  
F1 Routinier

lealjaime wrote:
Why people wants to make controversy where its not, the rule its very clear you cannot overtake before finish line.

the rule was changed this year, its: you cant overtake before the saftey car line 1.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 19:49  
F1 Rookie

shailf1 wrote:
lealjaime wrote:

the rule was changed this year, its: you cant overtake before the saftey car line 1.

Yes you right. but we are speaking about the end of the race so the rule says:

if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking

so there´s no room for a mistake the rule its very clear.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 20:35  
F1 Driver

I don't like Schumi but I wonder if this penalty will stay after Brown's complaining is settled.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 21:07  
GP2 Driver

Quote:
Under rule 40.13, which states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking," Schumacher has been given a penalty.

It's clear in the rule what the safety car would do and how they had to cross the finish line. So the penalty is deserved. I do think the penalty is to harsh though. At most he should have given up the place imo.
 Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next