It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 02:30

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thoughts of an American F1 Fan
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 16:32  
F1 Routinier

Being an American and an avid F1 fan, I’m a member of a much smaller crowd. In other parts of the world, particularly Europe, the Formula 1 fan has many media outlets and fellow fans to turn to in order to nurture and share his passion. Here in America however, the situation is quite different. NASCAR, IndyCar, and just about anything else that can slam into something and burst into flames is wildly popular, with thousands of people attending, and thousands more watching races on television almost every weekend. In my experience, people I’ve talked to about motorsport usually say something to the effect of, ‘The Intimidator, Jr, boogity boogity, or, Danica.’ When I mention Formula 1 to them however, I usually get, ‘Formula whaa?’ or, ‘Oh, that’s the thing that got cancelled’ in response. It doesn’t get much better when I turn on the TV either. Other than maybe 2 sentences about F1 when there’s a big accident, coverage is dominated by motorbikes jumping through rings of fire followed by an endless slew of commercials for the latest alcoholic beverage. Worse still, the races that are covered live here (and plagued by interminable commercials) are usually on in the early morning or in the middle of the night, especially when they’re in Asia or Australia. This effective media blackout only serves to maintain the status quo of American F1 nuts, rather than attract new eyes.
The internet has been indispensable for me personally, and I’m sure to other American F1 fans, as it is the only place we can get timely information and in-depth coverage regarding all aspects of the F1 circus. Not only is the here and now finally available to us Americans, but the rich and proud history of Formula 1 can also be discovered via the internet, with various users on social networking sites posting videos and articles about the timeless races and battles of yesteryear. In addition to information, the internet has also finally given us the opportunity to interact with other F1 worshipers across the world, and share our passion.
We American F1 fans are a smaller, but knowledgeable and dedicated group. Although I complain about how difficult it can be to immerse oneself in the F1 scene from halfway ‘round the globe, we are an adaptable bunch. Even though most of our compatriots have no idea what we’re talking about, our passion is not in the least squelched, rather it is strengthened. We belong to a different crowd, a more exclusive and passionate assemblage; which, in the end, is ultimately where Formula 1 finds its roots.

Ferrariman60
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati 
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thoughts of an American F1 Fan
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 16:56  

Sadly I don't think F1 is EVER going to conquer America. Even when there were American teams, drivers and races, it was never hugely popular (remember Phoenix 91 where more people turned up to a local Ostrich farm that day). USA has some great tracks (Road America, Long Beach (surely perfect F1 track - Marina street circuit!), Watkins Glen) but maybe its the time difference or just that F1 to them isn't anything special: IndyCars are faster and NASCAR have more crashes and the big oval races are more appealing as you can see everything.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 17:00  
F1 Routinier

yes, i agree. it is unfortunate. I am yet to meet an American interested in F1.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 21:41  
F1 Routinier

how about an f1 race in the u.s. but this time an oval race for a change.........

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 19:11  
kart driver

megasyxx wrote:
how about an f1 race in the u.s. but this time an oval race for a change.........

Although there is precedent for that (the Indianapolis 500 was counted as a world championship event from 1950 to 1960), I don't think that would work at all. Part of what makes F1 different from open wheel motorsport that has used ovals and road courses (CART, ChampCar, Indycar/IRL) is that those series consistently use both ovals and road courses, and the cars are built to adapt to those circumstances (or in the case of the current Indycar, retro-fitted to run on roadcourses). Frankly, Indycar has a hard enough time drawing crowds and tv ratings for their oval races in the US-F1 would probably blend into the background. Most people in the US can't tell the difference between an F1 car and an Indycar...as a fan of both, and an American, it's embarrassing sometimes!
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 19:12  
kart driver

sdutt wrote:

There are a few of us out there-I was at the Brickyard 400 last weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and did see some F1 hats and shirts in the crowd...few, but some.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 14:39  
F1 Routinier

f1nut48 wrote:
sdutt wrote:

There are a few of us out there-I was at the Brickyard 400 last weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and did see some F1 hats and shirts in the crowd...few, but some.

Too bad F1 will not return to Indy anytime soon.

Ferrariman60
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 02:10  
F1 Driver

farrariman60, you put into words the way a passionate american f1 fan feels. its so rare to find a f1 fan where i live. i can do you one better, try being a female american f1 fan, talk about not being taken seriously . thanks for putting a face to a true american f1 fan. oh and you guys forgot "digger", what a joke.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 04:47  
GP2 Driver

I'm originally from Indonesia but i am now an American. Coming from Asia it's definitely different here. Nascrap is pretty much "the thing" here, especially in TX. Although i must admit it's slightly getting better...Moto GP is getting bigger, some F1 races are broadcasted on Fox during regular hours, and F1 will get bigger with a race in Austin. Hell i even met a few F1 fans at school. Also, I've attended 4 F1 races (Malaysia, Australia, and Indianapolis twice) and i must say the race at Indy was definitely the best. We were able to walk around the pit area on Thursday and they interviewed the drivers in front of the fans. The track was not the best but i think the atmosphere was great. It was packed when i was there so i don't see Indy as being a failure (just look at Turkey, Malaysia, and etc).

BTW i'm pretty pumped about the USGP. It'll only be about thirty minutes from my apartment so i can commute and not pay for a hotel room. More money for me to get a pit pass :)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 14:20  
F1 Driver

Handozizle, the f1 races are also broadcast on speed tv, so we get to watch all f1 races.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:10  
GP2 Driver

Maria d wrote:
Handozizle, the f1 races are also broadcast on speed tv, so we get to watch all f1 races.

True but unlike Speed, everyone have Fox. I have to pay extra every month for Speed which is a big waste of money during off season. It's just more exposure on Fox during regular hours compared to Speed at 6:00 AM.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:52  
F1 Driver

HandoZiZle wrote:
Maria d wrote:

True but unlike Speed, everyone have Fox. I have to pay extra every month for Speed which is a big waste of money during off season. It's just more exposure on Fox during regular hours compared to Speed at 6:00 AM.

your right it is a big waste of money during the off season.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 21:28  
F1 Routinier

Maria d wrote:
farrariman60, you put into words the way a passionate american f1 fan feels. its so rare to find a f1 fan where i live. i can do you one better, try being a female american f1 fan, talk about not being taken seriously . thanks for putting a face to a true american f1 fan. oh and you guys forgot "digger", what a joke.

I have only met 1 other person my age who is an F1 fan, but only because he spends his summers in Spain. I've never met any female race fans at all, let alone F1 fans.

Ferrariman60
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 09:47  
F1 Routinier

What I never get though is why, when there are the Fox races, Speed TV doesn't broadcast live coverage (particularly for delayed races). That way F1 fans and the new fans would both get what they want.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2010, 17:49  
GP2 Driver

cformula1 wrote:
What I never get though is why, when there are the Fox races, Speed TV doesn't broadcast live coverage (particularly for delayed races). That way F1 fans and the new fans would both get what they want.

I would guess it's because there's not enough demand to air both.