Schumacher signs for Mercedes

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

What can Michael achieve in 2010?

Poll ended at 12 Mar 2010, 20:08

6%
Podiums
14%
A win
11%
More than one win
39%
The Championship
31%

Total votes: 36

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Schumacher signs for Mercedes

Post by shailf1 » 20 Nov 2009, 19:14

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... cedes.html
Spoiler:
The 40 year-old seven-time world champion was due to make a comeback for Ferrari as a substitute for the injured Felipe Massa last season before a neck injury forced him to stand down.

But following last week’s Mercedes takeover of Brawn GP and world champion Jenson Button’s shock switch to McLaren, the possibility of a German dream team with Nico Rosberg is emerging.

The associations line up beautifully. Schumacher won all his world titles under the guidance at Benetton and Ferrari of Ross Brawn, who will continue in the role of team principal at the newly-minted Mercedes team.

Schumacher’s connection with Mercedes goes back to his youth when he was part of the marque’s young driver programme. As co-owners at McLaren, Mercedes launched at least one serious attempt to persuade Schumacher to join them from Ferrari.

Head of Mercedes motorsport Norbert Haug failed on that occasion. The stars and moons are in better alignment now, though talks are understood to be at an early stage.

Six months ago while driving around the Ascari circuit in southern Spain as part of a sponsorship engagement, Schumacher insisted that he had no regrets about retirement. The time was right, he said, to devote himself to his young family and pursue other interests.

His retainer with Ferrari kept him in the F1 loop and he was a frequent visitor on the pit wall during races.

The picture shifts quickly in sport. Massa’s freak head injury during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix in July presented an unforeseen opportunity. When the chance to race again was dangled before him, Schumacher found that he could not say no.

Opportunity knocks a second time. The big money that he banked at Ferrari, upwards of £50 million a year including endorsements, is not available this time around. The downshift by Mercedes from McLaren to Brawn was premised on the need to reign in spending.

Schumacher would be coming back to F1 on a budget, offered the same deal turned down by Button. That would not worry him. The huge commercial appeal attached to the return of the seven times world champion would more than make up his money.

Button made his final visit to Brackley on Thursday to say farewell. His appearance provoked sadness and anger. There would have been no talk of Schumacher at Mercedes had Button said yes to their offer. He was rated highly by a management team who felt they had gone as far as they could go with their multi-million pound offer.

The timing of his unveiling as a McLaren driver cut across his visit, which was clumsy in the extreme. This was no way to end a fairytale. Button has been here before in a career punctuated by ham-fisted moves.

If anyone can apply balm to the wounds at Brackley it is Schumacher. Formula One went bonkers at the thought of a comeback in August. That was only a temporary affair.

This would be full-on for a year at least; Schumacher going up against McLaren’s back-to-back world champions Button and Lewis Hamilton, not to mention Alonso and Massa at Ferrari and his own Red Bull protégé Sebastien Vettel.

Interest in F1 in Britain is glowing red hot following Button’s world championship win and his subsequent move to McLaren. Beyond our shores neither Button nor Hamilton is the big sell that Schumacher is. His brand is global.

Schumacher would not be at the table were he not smitten with the comeback idea. His heart is beating again.

We thought Button’s rise from the Monaco dole queue to world champion in eight mad months was a story. How about Schumacher coming back to win an eighth world title in Button’s old motor? Wishful thinking? Not according to the tom tom drums.

Code: Select all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm
Spoiler:

Page last updated at 15:54 GMT, Friday, 20 November 2009
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Mercedes want Michael Schumacher to drive in F1 team

Jordan tips Schumacher to join Mercedes

Michael Schumacher is poised for a sensational return to Formula 1 with the new Mercedes team, according to BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan.

Mercedes want the seven-time champion as their lead driver after taking over title-winning Brawn, Jordan says.

"The possibility is being actively pursued and I believe it is going to happen," said Jordan.

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told BBC Sport a return was "highly unlikely - but never say never".

The plan is for Schumacher to be a stop-gap before Mercedes can prise German rising star Sebastian Vettel out of Red Bull, Jordan said.
Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher
Schumacher could be a stop-gap before Mercedes target Vettel

The move would reunite Schumacher with Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn, who masterminded all his seven titles at Benetton and Ferrari.

The German, who will be 41 in January, had to pull out of a temporary comeback to F1 last year as a replacement for the injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa because of a neck injury.

But Kehm said that while Schumacher had not had any new tests on his neck, it was expected to be healed by the end of the year.

Jordan said: "It started with a meeting between Michael, Ross Brawn and Daimler chief executive officer Dieter Zetsche at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"At the moment, it is not possible for Michael to drive for Mercedes because he has a consultancy contract with Ferrari.

I understand Michael was due to meet Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo with a view to him being released - and that it will be approved because it is in the interests of F1

Eddie Jordan

"But I understand he was due to meet Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo with a view to him being released - and that it will be approved because it is in the interests of F1.

"I believe that is being planned at the moment.

"I also believe Ross and Michael have spoken in recent times and that Michael likes the idea of driving a Mercedes run by Ross. It's a mouth-watering idea.

"Schumacher was bitterly disappointed he didn't get to come back to replace Massa - he's keen to race again. And this is a dream for both parties.

"Michael and Mercedes go way back - he drove for their sportscar team before he raced in F1, and they were responsible for getting him in to F1. They paid the then Jordan team to give him his debut in 1991.

"He has won all these titles but never driven in F1 for Mercedes."

The Brawn team rose out of the ashes of Honda, which quit F1 in December 2008, and won the drivers' world championship with Jenson Button in 2009, as well as the constructors' title.

Mercedes's takeover was announced on Monday, but the team are looking for a lead driver following Button's decision to move to McLaren for 2010.
Ross Brawn chats to Michael Schumacher at the 2009 Spanish Grand Prix, with Mercedes sports boss Norbert Haug in the background
Brawn and Schumacher have achieved incredible success in F1

Signing Schumacher would be an ideal way for Mercedes to head off the negative publicity that has arisen from letting the world champion slip through their fingers.

A source close to Ferrari says the Italian team have yet to be asked to release Schumacher.

Schumacher's contract with the company was changed recently to remove him from any links with the F1 team, for which he was a consultant.

He is now an ambassador, consultant and test driver for the company's road car arm.

It is understood that during the summer Schumacher explored the idea of driving a third car for Ferrari on an occasional basis, but this is forbidden by F1's rules.

Kehm said Schumacher had given her no indication that he wanted to make a full-time return.

Vettel, 22, is contracted to drive for Red Bull until the end of 2011 and, while contracts are often broken in F1, Mercedes may not find it easy to buy him out.

Red Bull is owned by the soft drinks company's founder Dietrich Mateschitz who, as a billionaire, does not exactly need the money.

If the Schumacher deal does not come off, fellow German Nick Heidfeld is considered most likely to get the second Mercedes seat alongside Nico Rosberg, another German, whose contract has been signed but not officially announced.

But another possibility for Mercedes might be the highly rated Polish driver Robert Kubica.

He has signed for Renault, but the French company is deciding whether to continue in F1, with a decision due before the end of the year.

If Renault pulled out, Kubica would be on the market, and he might be an attractive option for Mercedes, who have moved to dismiss widespread claims that they are determined to sign two German drivers by describing their new F1 team as "global".
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb7qz4 ... or-a_sport

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Schumi to Mercedes GP?

Post by amoljoshi » 20 Nov 2009, 19:23

This is stupid stuff going on right now.

Formula 1 should concentrate on what they already right now. Should rely on the drivers who are present right now.

You are simply not moving forward by having Michael back.

I really want to ask this question to those who want him back "Are u going to have Schumi every time when u have any problem? ".

I`m a Schumi fan too, but still think that it should not happen. We have great memories of him with us. We should cherish them and keep them throughout our life.

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 20 Nov 2009, 21:55

No chance.

Rachael The Great
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Rachael The Great » 20 Nov 2009, 22:07

surprisingly, i'm thinking this isnt going to happen.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 21 Nov 2009, 09:09

yeah right and im his team mate, this is total bull

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 21 Nov 2009, 09:51

Joe Saward
Spoiler:
The word on the street is that Michael Schumacher could be in line for the Mercedes-Benz (née Brawn) drive next year alongside Nico Rosberg. So let us have a logical look at whether this is really going to happen.

There are, of course, plenty of known associations: Ross Brawn oversaw all of Schumacher’s World Championships at Benetton and at Ferrari and knows Michael perfectly. Mercedes-Benz gave Michael his break in motor racing back in the days before Norbert Haug when Jochen Neerpasch picked him for the Mercedes-Benz Junior Team, alongside Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Karl Wendlinger and Fritz Kreutzpointner (hey, you cannot always get it right). Neerpasch played a major role in getting him into F1 and in slipping him out of Jordan and into Benetton. This all makes sense although men like Brawn and Haug are rarely sentimental. You do not get to be successful in F1 without being fairly hard-headed. They will look the facts and decide.

On the downside, Michael is 40 and has a neck injury which was (and perhaps still is) far worse than he ever wanted to admit. He tried to come back in August with Ferrari, but this was stymied by the injury. This was six months after the motorcycle accident that caused the head and neck problems. For now Michael can race in karts and the Race of Champions, but sustained high G seems to be difficult and, according to doctors, not healthy. Michael did say that his neck was not strong enough “yet”, but that may have been a victory of ambition over good sense.

It should also be remembered that when Michael left Ferrari it was because he had been put into a position where he had no choice. The reason Ferrari did this was that the team seemed to think that although he was still quick, he was no longer as fast as was necessary. It replaced him with Kimi Raikkonen. These days Michael is only working for the team as a road car test driver, the decision having been made to stop the F1 work he had been doing. There is no doubt that Michael still loves to race, more than anything else in his life, but there are dangers of going into a Mercedes situation. He would no longer have the advantages that were built into his contracts at Ferrari. It would not be his team and there is not really time to build it into that.

There are also disadvantages in having Michael. Mercedes-Benz wants to get publicity for own products, not for Michael Schumacher. If Michael did return and win the headlines would say “Schumacher!”, whereas if Heidfeld or Rosberg win it will be because the cars have turned them into winners. If Michael arrived and failed then the car would probably take the blame. Thus hiring Schumacher makes less sense for Mercedes-Benz than it at first appears. This is an argument that Mercedes-Benz has long used when asked why it did not hire Michael in the McLaren days. There is no reason why they could not hire him to stand next to cars and say: “I love Mercedes-Benz products because…” but there are downsides to having him racing for them.

The final point is that Michael may want to race but wise heads around him will be explaining to him that the Schumacher legacy will be damaged with poor comebacks. Nigel Mansell could not give up the F1 dream and embarrassed himself with the miserable McLaren business. Knowing when to quit is important in the sporting legend business.
James Allen
Spoiler:
Today has seen a groundswell of stories about Michael Schumacher talking to Mercedes about making a return to F1 next season. I’ve had dozens of readers asking whether this is the case or not, meanwhile Eddie Jordan has stuck his neck out and said on the BBC website that the deal is on and Schumacher will be racing in silver next season.

The Telegraph’s Kevin Garside, who no longer covers F1 on a regular basis, has gone overboard on the story today too, albeit with no quotes or attributions. The authoritative end of the German media is strangely silent on the matter.

The rumours are being fanned by Norbert Haug’s suggestion that the Mercedes driver line up would feature some “surprises”.

So is it serious?

Let’s take a step back and assess this situation. Schumacher was very eager to make a comeback this summer when Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo asked him to stand in for the injured Felipe Massa. Schumacher recently admitted that his decision to go for it was emotionally driven, rather than rationally driven and he regretted letting it become public before he had been able to assess whether his injured neck would take it.

The neck will supposedly be fine by the end of the year so physically he should be cleared by doctors to race, if he wants to.

Schumacher’s spokeswoman, Sabine Kehm says that she does not think he is in discussions with Mercedes nor that he will come back full time next season, but then she added the caveat that with Schumacher, you can never say never. His decision to go for it last summer was as big a shock to her as it was to the rest of us.

But the 40 year old said that what attracted him was the idea of doing just a few races, to get the buzz again. He was not keen on doing a whole season. In a recent interview for a Shell PR handout, Schumacher said that he did not want to be seen as a “Grandad” in Formula 1.

“There’s lots of talk about me returning to Formula One, ” he said. “I was very close obviously this year to replacing Felipe, but whether I’m going to race in the future or not, we will see. I guess my neck by the end of the year or beginning of next year will be fully fine, but I will be 41 – and that would make me the grandad of F1! I’m not sure I want that.”

But once again this is a moment of need, this time for his old friend and colleague, Ross Brawn. Brawn however said yesterday to Gazzetta dello Sport that Schumacher and he working together next year was not a likelihood.

This week has been a tough one for the new Brawn/Mercedes alliance. McLaren has hijacked the PR agenda with a bold swoop for World Champion Jenson Button. Mercedes needed a quick win in return and these rumours about Schumacher give them that instant boost, whether they are true or not. The attention is back on Mercedes.

Schumacher still has a profile to maintain for the benefit of his many sponsors and all this attention is a win for both him and Mercedes, regardless of whether anything comes of it. Would it be good for F1? Undoubtedly. Does F1 need it? More debatable now that we have some really strong storylines, like Hamilton vs Button, Hamilton vs Alonso in rival cars and the continuing rise of Vettel. It’s not as if Bernie Ecclestone needs a new trick to get interest in the sport going.

I’ve said all along Mercedes long-term target has to be to get Sebastian Vettel once his Red Bull contract expires at the end of 2011 and they need a stop-gap until then. Lewis Hamilton must also be a target. Button didn’t fancy being that stop-gap and has bought the McLaren dream of the “British Ferrari”, which Ron Dennis is peddling to him.

The reality of Schumacher and Brawn reprising their all conquering partnership at Mercedes would have been easy to imagine a few years ago, but now it is hard to see what is to be gained from it. I can see Mercedes wanting to have Schumacher on board as a consultant, as he is to Ferrari. He never raced for them in F1, but he raced for them in sportscars in 1990 and 1991. He and Mercedes are one of those relationships doomed never to happen in F1 terms.

Driving in F1 today is nothing like as time consuming as it was in the days of endless testing. Over the summer, Schumacher was very excited by the idea of racing again.

Will it happen? I would be very surprised, but as he says, “never say never.”
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 21 Nov 2009, 10:18

Here we go again ... ?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Nov 2009, 09:57

Mercedes: No Schumacher drive with us
Mercedes has played down speculation in the international media that Michael Schumacher will be driving for the newly-branded outfit next year. The 7-time World Champion, who drove for the German marque in sports cars before making his Formula 1 debut in 1991, had been linked with a full-time seat ahead of the 2010 season.

Mercedes' comments suggest that one seat is already filled, with Nico Rosberg tipped as favourite by most

With Brawn GP becoming Mercedes GP and World Champion Jenson Button moving to McLaren, Schumacher has been tipped by several F1 insiders as the ideal team-mate to compatriot Nico Rosberg, who is also yet to be signed up for next year. Despite admitting that the possibility would be 'a dream', however, the silver arrows have revealed that a link-up with Schumacher will not happen.

"It's clear that there will always be speculation as long as one cockpit is still free," a spokesman for Mercedes, as quoted by Reuters, said on Saturday, "and some speculations are nothing but dreams which will not come true."

A notable believer of a Schumacher deal was former team owner and BBC television pundit Eddie Jordan who, like F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, believed that a deal may already be in place. With the smart money firmly on Rosberg, though, fellow countryman Nick Heidfeld is seemingly a likely candidate for the second seat.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/11/21/mercedes-no-schumacher-drive-with-us/
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 22 Nov 2009, 11:01

Ali wrote:Mercedes: No Schumacher drive with us
Mercedes has played down speculation in the international media that Michael Schumacher will be driving for the newly-branded outfit next year. The 7-time World Champion, who drove for the German marque in sports cars before making his Formula 1 debut in 1991, had been linked with a full-time seat ahead of the 2010 season.

Mercedes' comments suggest that one seat is already filled, with Nico Rosberg tipped as favourite by most

With Brawn GP becoming Mercedes GP and World Champion Jenson Button moving to McLaren, Schumacher has been tipped by several F1 insiders as the ideal team-mate to compatriot Nico Rosberg, who is also yet to be signed up for next year. Despite admitting that the possibility would be 'a dream', however, the silver arrows have revealed that a link-up with Schumacher will not happen.

"It's clear that there will always be speculation as long as one cockpit is still free," a spokesman for Mercedes, as quoted by Reuters, said on Saturday, "and some speculations are nothing but dreams which will not come true."

A notable believer of a Schumacher deal was former team owner and BBC television pundit Eddie Jordan who, like F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, believed that a deal may already be in place. With the smart money firmly on Rosberg, though, fellow countryman Nick Heidfeld is seemingly a likely candidate for the second seat.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/11/21/mercedes-no-schumacher-drive-with-us/
Good news. I am the world's biggest Schumacher fan but I didn't think he should return because he is too old and it could have been shades of Mansell @ McLaren 1995.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 23 Nov 2009, 14:39

German website Motorsport Total (credible) is quoting Brawn saying Schumacher will definitely not drive for Mercedes next season.

Shame, really. :(

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 23 Nov 2009, 17:10

Thikn it wouldn't be a good thing for Michael to return anyway, think he would be beaten by Rosberg all the time, Heidfeld is a better choice for Mercedes GP IMO
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 23 Nov 2009, 18:19

JoostLamers wrote:Thikn it wouldn't be a good thing for Michael to return anyway, think he would be beaten by Rosberg all the time, Heidfeld is a better choice for Mercedes GP IMO
:lol: That was a good joke man :lol:

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 23 Nov 2009, 22:10

Oh come on, the man is 40, he really isn;t as fast anymore as 4 years ago, he'll fail terribly, it'll be hard to accept for him, but also for his fans, they will immediately think he'll take his 8th World Title. There are new kids on the block and one of them has beaten him already. He'll fail against Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso, Rosberg will be too fast as well. I'm not joking, because I'm no good in telling jokes :lol:
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 23 Nov 2009, 22:16

JoostLamers wrote:Oh come on, the man is 40, he really isn;t as fast anymore as 4 years ago, he'll fail terribly, it'll be hard to accept for him, but also for his fans, they will immediately think he'll take his 8th World Title. There are new kids on the block and one of them has beaten him already. He'll fail against Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso, Rosberg will be too fast as well. I'm not joking, because I'm no good in telling jokes :lol:
look at rubens, he is quite old as well and he still hasnt lost it. He was able to give good performances throughout the season similar to what he did yearrs ago. So dont think being 40 will not make him slow, I am pretty sure he will be up there.

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 24 Nov 2009, 04:27

I would love to see schumi back but it will not happen