Button, Worst F1 Champ?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Button, Worst F1 Champ?

Post by lealjaime » 06 Oct 2009, 09:11

sorry i didnt see all WDC but i can say he is a gray WDC.

an nobody who wins a F1 Champioship its Bad
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

geewhiz14
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by geewhiz14 » 06 Oct 2009, 09:16

He can be Jenson 'Vanilla' Button. LOL.
Football+Racing+Design+Travel: http://bouncebackabilitrix.wordpress.com
Architecture+Design+Arts&Crafts+Lifestyle: http://marjitecture.wordpress.com

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 06 Oct 2009, 09:35

To be honest, he might actually be better than Damon Hill. At least this year.

I think he´s on par with Jacques Villeneuve.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 06 Oct 2009, 10:22

I wouldn't say he's the worst, but certainly he will win thanks to others teams' problems. In a normal championship he wouldn't have won, even having that car. For example, for next year, with Ferrari and Mclaren being competitive from the very beginning, plus Red Bull and maybe others teams in better conditions than now, for sure Button won't be even close to the lead...

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 06 Oct 2009, 13:34

button was just ultra lucky coz the brawn team got a good head-start this season.
many championships have been won on strong season starts.

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 06 Oct 2009, 14:05

watadam wrote:I grew tired of the constant claims that Jenson doesn't deserve this WDC because he does, when he finishes on the most amount of points he deserves it. My question is, is JB the worst driver to ever win a F1WDC?
For some ppl , actually for Ferrari/McLaren/Alonso fans especialy if the driver that wins the WDC isn't a driver for the team they support then he's worst champion or he don't deserve to be ... Im joking :p well for me he's a good driver being a wdc this season i call it lucky

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 Oct 2009, 18:12

I would say that Button is good, but not great. Not in the league of Hamilton, Alonso - think what they would have done in that Brawn :O

I would say that JV is the worst Champion, he only just beat Schumacher and the Williams was sooo good that year, anyone could have won in it, christ, even Heinz Harald Hopeless won a race in it. Damon Hill also should have done much better in his title year, the 96 and 97 Williams were both dominant cars that a better driver was more deserving of it just to see what it could do. I'd also say Keke in '82; only won one race in his title winning year

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 06 Oct 2009, 19:24

phil1993 wrote:I would say that Button is good, but not great. Not in the league of Hamilton, Alonso - think what they would have done in that Brawn :O
Off-Topic: show
I'm thinking what Hamilton would have done if he had the Nürburgring McLaren already in Australia :roll::
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by lealjaime » 07 Oct 2009, 23:55

joostlamers wrote:
phil1993 wrote:I would say that Button is good, but not great. Not in the league of Hamilton, Alonso - think what they would have done in that Brawn :O
I'm thinking what Hamilton would have done if he had the Nürburgring McLaren already in Australia :roll::
Lie becuase of yellow flag :lol:
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 08 Oct 2009, 01:24

watadam wrote:And who is the best driver to never win a title. I'm a relatively recent viewer of the sport, started watching just over 10 years ago. Juan Pablo Montoya in my viewing time.

many people regard Sterling Moss as the best driver who never won a world championship

Button IMO was very lucky to win (if he wins) this championship but very importantly he made it count when things were in his favour and hence he rightlly will win this championship.

seeing some drives from damon hill such as his drive in tough conditions in monaco 1996 and his arrows run in hungary,1997, clearly shows that he was a worthy champion. and he almost won it in 1994 too until he was pushed off controversially by michael schumacher.

But Villeneuve was a different story, but he too made it count and won the championship. but perhaps he might get my vote (with button very close) as the worst WDC ssince i have watched F1.

Keke Rosberg was very consistent in the year 1982 and no other driver won more than 2 races that year

m.j.wells
car driver
car driver

Post by m.j.wells » 08 Oct 2009, 09:35

Well I am getting more and more disillusioned with Button as the championship nears it's finale in Abu Dabi.
What I really want from him is storming drives to win the next two races........going out on a high is the only way he can redeem himself in my eyes.

Its a sad thing to say because I have tried hard, during the latter (less impressive) performances he has put in, to be positive and look forward to another British champ.

Needless to say.....he has been very lucky that when he is not performing, Vettel, Rubens and Webber havent capitalised on it.

I still have a deep regard for Jenson and believe he is far from the worst F1 champ. I hope his performances wont disapoint me in Brazil and Abu.

Go on Jenson Ave it!!!! Flag:##
Supporting Maclaren...STILL...

alanshe
car driver
car driver

Post by alanshe » 11 Oct 2009, 19:24

The worst since villeneuve that is for sure.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Oct 2009, 19:25

Yeah, but tbh since JV we've had pretty much most of the greats (except Senna, Prost, Clark, Stewart and Clark): Hakkinen, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen!

geewhiz14
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by geewhiz14 » 12 Oct 2009, 06:09

Jenson can be the 2nd 'worst' (or, to put it lightly, unimpressive) WDC in recent years, then? :p
Football+Racing+Design+Travel: http://bouncebackabilitrix.wordpress.com
Architecture+Design+Arts&Crafts+Lifestyle: http://marjitecture.wordpress.com

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 12 Oct 2009, 07:27

In some ways this reminds me of 1999, where the top contender's absence (Schumacher) allowed for several second fiddles (Irvine, Frentzen, Coulthard) to have a shot at the title. With the "natural" candidates Hamilton, Raikkonen and Alonso having been put out of contention early by their cars' shortcomings, other drivers were bound to emerge, not necessarily being WDC material in normal circumstances.

Out of the three contenders left, I think Vettel would be the worthiest, because despite his young age and little experience he has performed spectacularly well ever since his debut, even in relatively uncompetitive cars. It might be one year too early for him, though, as reflected by his mistakes in Australia, Turkey or Monaco. I have a bit less sympathy for oldbies Button and Barrichello, the former settling for being consistently average, and the latter throwing away many opportunities despite his enormous amount of experience (what's with the botched starts, man?).

Nevertheless, whoever has the most points after Abu Dhabi rightfully deserves to be the champion. But it's more than likely to be a one-off, and a rather anticlimatic one at that. Unless Vettel does it à la Raikkonen '07, which frankly wouldn't surprise me that much.