Cigarette advertising- yes or no?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Should cigarette advertising be allowed in motor racing?

Yes
74%
Yes, but with restrictions
11%
No
14%

Total votes: 35

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Cigarette advertising- yes or no?

Post by swca92 » 15 Oct 2009, 22:38

I completely disagree with the viewpoints here. Anything that reduces smoking, I'm in favour of, so I'm happy this is banned in sports. My Grandad died of emphysema, which is brought on by smoking, so maybe I'm biased but smoking is a very bad thing that should be cut out. And advertising may not want to make you buy something, but it often affects you subconsciously and makes others want to buy something, advertising in F1 does work for companies. And seeing as we're in a cost cutting era with massive TV revenues money from cigarette advertising isn't necessary.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Oct 2009, 22:58

swca92 wrote:I completely disagree with the viewpoints here. Anything that reduces smoking, I'm in favour of, so I'm happy this is banned in sports. My Grandad died of emphysema, which is brought on by smoking, so maybe I'm biased but smoking is a very bad thing that should be cut out. And advertising may not want to make you buy something, but it often affects you subconsciously and makes others want to buy something, advertising in F1 does work for companies. And seeing as we're in a cost cutting era with massive TV revenues money from cigarette advertising isn't necessary.

Why not therefore ban alcohol adverts from the cars, and then why not ban computer adverts, because computers can adversely affect your eyes and arm muscles, and why not ban gambling adverts on cars for the lives it can ruin and then why not ban energy drinks advertising on the cars, because it has been proven in extreme cases to lead to heart attacks...?

From a philosophical point of view, smoking is a liberty that certain people enjoy in the full knowledge that it harms them, like excessive drinking, excessive couch-potatoing etc. etc. Politically, this is irrelevant, because the EU would like to reduce smoking, but from a moral point of view, I think people have the complete right to choose their own poison, so morally I would have no objection to advertising it on cars. The above argument is simply the basis of my opinion, not me trying to influence your viewpoint.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

birdsboro
car driver
car driver

Post by birdsboro » 29 Oct 2009, 16:42

TwistedArmco wrote:Benson & Hedges.

That was Jordan's alternative to a certain cigarette brand. I think that is majorly clever. :)

i actually liked Buzzin Hornets....the best.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 01 Nov 2009, 15:59

swca92 wrote:I completely disagree with the viewpoints here. Anything that reduces smoking, I'm in favour of, so I'm happy this is banned in sports. My Grandad died of emphysema, which is brought on by smoking, so maybe I'm biased but smoking is a very bad thing that should be cut out. And advertising may not want to make you buy something, but it often affects you subconsciously and makes others want to buy something, advertising in F1 does work for companies. And seeing as we're in a cost cutting era with massive TV revenues money from cigarette advertising isn't necessary.

I understand your viewpoint, but all tobacco advertising does is reduce the amount of money to be spent by tobacco companies, therefore losing them money, and in the current economic climate, could cause the company to collapse and reduce the availability of cigarettes overall.

sato113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sato113 » 07 Dec 2009, 19:22

yes coz smoking is cool! i liked the liveries.

outsidr

Post by outsidr » 15 Dec 2009, 01:00

Even as an ex-smoker myself, I would take no offence if it were allowed again. Those were good times.(The tobacco sponsorships, not the smoking)