If you could make the regulations regarding design....

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: If you could make the regulations regarding design....

Post by tderias » 28 Jun 2011, 22:50

F1 is becoming less about the driver every single year. I think they should cut down on all the technology, and let the driver have more control... not some geek working on his laptop

mckh
car driver
car driver

Post by mckh » 02 Aug 2011, 16:25

Personally, i think f1 is about high tech cars and great drivers battleing others for top of the podium, and I belive most of yall should some what agree on this.

F1 teams spends overly excessive amount on specific stuff (front wing), but if they were to have a less strict tech regulation; they can have a much better performing car without spending too much (Look at lotus T125 with aero shaped floor with a radious of 10 cm rather than the 15mm that they have on current f1 cars).

I'd say cut cost, open up the rules so they don't have to put millions in to just 1 small specific area. Allow curved floor and ground effect and much more aero pieces.
Hopefully this way, none of the cars will look a like and the team with the smartest (not the highest paid) engineers can still have a go at the championship.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 17 Nov 2011, 12:57

The best car design was the era of Senna & Prost. To be more precise the cars of the 88 season. Engines are V10 or V12 with no sort of electronic controls & manual gear boxes. No TC would be more fun with less aero & concentrate on more mechanical grip. Then it will be a real test for the drivers to put maximum inputs manually & still focus on the race strategy. Refueling & tire changes allowed but fuel should be limited for the entire race weekends as there are restrictions on the number of sets of tires.

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 11 Dec 2011, 18:59

simple fix to get F1 back to the old times... 650+ hp from any engine of choice and reduce tire width to 255 rear and 205 front and see what can be done... no ground effects, traction control, DRS, allow a traditional blown diffuser not the exhaust gas version... use E85 fuel to be politically correct... maximize safety of the driver and throw the rest out

Ben
car driver
car driver

Post by Ben » 27 Jan 2012, 23:44

Hmmm. Personally, I'd go back to the aero regs/car dimensions of say.. 91-92. Stipulate a manual gearbox, and limit the number of buttons on a steering wheel, so the drivers can concentrate on, y'know, driving. As many Tyre suppliers and engine manufacturers as want to play, but with a pretty low budget cap. Whatever engine you want to build, not a Turbo... V8, V10, V12, W12... whatever! Make sure that the car's number can be seen from the trackside, and appears at least three time on the car. Slick tyres... Oh, and get shot of most of Herman Tilke's circuits. Bad enough the cars all look the same without the tracks doing so as well.

Back to Imola (restoring the Villenueve kinkand the chicane at the back of the circuit that was changed in 2006), Paul Ricard, Mexico City (as long as the Peraltada is restored) and Kylami. No more than one race in each country, with floating European/World Grand Prix that would visit a countries 'spare' circuit in varying years (i.e. Nurburgring, Valencia, Magny Cours, Donington/Brands Hatch, Indianapolis/New Jersey/Texas(whichever is looking least likely), Fuji, Adelaide). Reduce the fees for hosting a race, so that ticket prices drop and it becomes more viable for circuits to host a race.

I'd also drop the 107% rule and the $30 million bond, and open the field up to more than 12 teams. An F1 grid should consist of 26 cars at least, and make the first part of qualifying more interesting if some drivers are battling to even start the race.

That'll do for now...

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 15 May 2013, 06:55

How do you not believe in global warming? If ignorance is bliss, then Ari Vatanen must be as happy as a clam...

On topic now, I'd basically have teams use a 2000-style chassis with the V6 engines to be used in 2014. Rather than having KERS or DRS, the cars would be equipped with an IndyCar-style push-to-pass system that would give a short acceleration boost that could be used up to fifteen times in each race. There would be Option, Prime, Intermediate, and Wet tyres as there are in real life, with teams required to use both dry compounds in a dry race. With drivers pushing to the maximum, Option tyres would last about 30 minutes and Prime tyres would last about 45 minutes. This way, we would most likely have some drivers pushing to the absolute limit and making two stops, and some drivers saving their tyres and making one stop. :cool:

If anyone needs a reminder of how awesome the 2000 cars looked:

:drool:

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 May 2013, 17:34

Personally, 2006 end of season aero;

With the V10 engines and Michelin's 2005 single tyre race.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 17 May 2013, 12:14

I'd take the 1997 regs, wide cars, neat designs and clean car lines, marginal tyres thank to the tyre war and a combination of V10s with a few V8s.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 May 2013, 13:43

I like the wider cars. I do love the complex aero winglets on the body, it makes F1 cars look like they should; complex, intricate pieces of art, each winglet adding fractions of overall time to the car. I loved the nose-bridges. Hated dumbo wings.

I do think that the MP4-21 is THE best looking car from 2000 onwards. The MP4-22 end of season spec was the best looking with the aero winglets, bridge and the updated rear wing centre support. The F2008 looked stunning with the Shark fin and the cherry red metallic paint looked pitch-perfect.

Did you ever see the MP4-23 with the shark fin? That looked stunning!!!!!

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 17 May 2013, 15:42

I've never been a fan of those kinds of cars although I do get your point and agree, the intricacy and complexity of the creations is what F1 is about. However I always felt those winglets and extra pieces were a step too far, because for all of the investment to build these small additions that aided the aerodynamics, the returns were minimal at best. I preferred the simplistic cars.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 May 2013, 17:24

kals wrote:I've never been a fan of those kinds of cars although I do get your point and agree, the intricacy and complexity of the creations is what F1 is about. However I always felt those winglets and extra pieces were a step too far, because for all of the investment to build these small additions that aided the aerodynamics, the returns were minimal at best. I preferred the simplistic cars.
I get what you mean as well. Did you ever see the Mclaren M14A in the vodafone livery?

This, this has to be the closest thing to perfection;

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 17 May 2013, 17:50

That looks awesome! Is it a photoshop or real?

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 May 2013, 18:56

photoshop! it looks so real. one can only dream