It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 00:06

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 838 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Formula One TV Coverage
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 18:04  
F1 Routinier

Just thinking- I wouldn't be surprised if Derek Daly ends up involved in the NBC F1 coverage- he's involved in their Indycar coverage IIRC.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 10:40  
F1 Routinier

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... I-bar.html

Philip Schofield? Man I don't even. I hope he was joking.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 15:45  
car driver

The things are going from bad to worse for the Formula One FTA
http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/medias/canal-met-27-millions-d-euros-sur-la-table-pour-rafler-la-formule-1_1178281.html
http://www.fan-f1.com/f1/2012/actualite/14451-F1-Droits-de-diffusion-TF1-ne-fera-pas-de-surenchere-avec-Canal.html

Even in France, probably, there will be the same situation as in Italy and in the United Kingdom.

I hope there will be a channel that will broadcast the Formula One FTA on Badr 6. I'm inside the beam, so it would be interesting for me to know about it.

I'm waiting for some good news :)
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 18:25  
F1 Routinier

Commentary team for NBC's F1 coverage has been announced.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/aussie-scores-big-break-stateside-20121116-29h7m.html

Leigh Diffey will be replacing Bob Varsha, while David Hobbs and Steve Matchett will move from SPEED to NBC.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 18:29  
F1 Legend

What about Will Buxton?
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 18:42  
F1 Routinier

They seemingly intend to continue the SPEED style of a pit reporter at the track, with three presenters in a booth, so there's a good chance they'll pick up Buxton.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 21:48  
F1 Routinier

Will buxton is superb. Great personality oozing from the commentary box. I so wish Sky F1 had Ben Edwards. He was supreme in BTCC and i never realised it was him who voiced the Season reviews. I love his genuine enthusiasm, and his voice isnt unpleasant to here!

Overall this season, ive been really impressed with the Sky coverage. MY only gripe, is that the channel is basically bloody wasted. They could put Grand Prix film on once a month, they could put all the season reviews on. Could put some old full races on. could put as many F1 programmes as they could.

But more importantly, they could put Indycar on there too, or make it a more motorsport based channel; some WRC highlights and so forth. Its wasted for so many hours.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 22:16  
PL Manager

I agree. I never get it when channels have the F1 rights but don't broadcast every race that has ever been filmed. More entertainment and more bang-for-buck for the viewers. The coverage has been superb. Really enjoying the features before the race and qualy, although I'm getting really tired with Crofty's commentary. Get Will Buxton or Ben Edwards in there ASAP!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 22:36  
Donator

Perhaps you don't realize that Sky et al do not own the videos, films, etc. they are only getting a one time license. Each viewing would necessitate paying a fee for its use. Given the money Bernie gets for his F~0~M content, it is probably prohibitive to air it more than once. If it were not for those fees, racing would be seen on many different channels.
As to Sky's coverage, their constant references to Hamilton and Button, as though they were important players this year when in fact they are barely also-rans in the top tier is terribly wearing. I hope that more races in the US will mean more American and Canadian drivers and maybe an opportunity to listen to something other than the nasal British whine of Brundle.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 22:53  

I think Sky have given decent coverage to Vettel and Alonso. The latter is a bit more tricky cos he doesn't talk to the press very much.

Sky's problem is that they have to learn how to better fill the time around the race. I really hope they open up to comment from the fans in the off season. I could write them a novel :D

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 07:39  

Crofty's a bit shouty and banal but overall he's good. The post-race coverage was good on Sunday.

I'd love to see Will on British TV; he's got a good style - you guys should watch Paddock Pass :p

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 11:37  
F1 Routinier

mileso wrote:
Perhaps you don't realize that Sky et al do not own the videos, films, etc. they are only getting a one time license. Each viewing would necessitate paying a fee for its use. Given the money Bernie gets for his F~0~M content, it is probably prohibitive to air it more than once. If it were not for those fees, racing would be seen on many different channels.
As to Sky's coverage, their constant references to Hamilton and Button, as though they were important players this year when in fact they are barely also-rans in the top tier is terribly wearing. I hope that more races in the US will mean more American and Canadian drivers and maybe an opportunity to listen to something other than the nasal British whine of Brundle.

Oh im aware. The sky F1 channel has shown the DVD reviews split into 4 races over several night. The BBC had access to the race highlights of previous years, im sure Sky will have the same deal. Earlier this year, did they not show like the 2011, 2010 and 2009 races in full? I recall it on the Monaco weekend.

Same thing with the Legends of F1. its the same repeats of Mansell, Hakkinen, Surtees, Brabham, Jones, Andretti, Scheckter, stewart and Fittipaldi. They did Moss too. Even did Murrary walker which I didnt really get in the sense that, I think of legends as drivers, but he is a legendary commentator. Him and james hunt..... brilliant.

But theyve got a wealth of drivers they could do. I mean, The f1 show is wasted in a sense. you could have Ant, Brundle, Hill, Herbert and maybe a guest journalist or driver, going through a year in Formula 1, talking about the drivers. Like they themselves reviewing a year with footage, bit of banter, talking about controversies, or even deaths.

Yknow, stuff like that. F~0~M will clearly give them the footage, Sky are paying a hell of alot to F~0~M, and they clearly have alot of back catalogue, If the BBC had a wealth of highlights and some full races, Sky clearly have them too.

Even if its like a History of Formula 1, and each hour long episode or hour and a half, is one year of formula 1, upto the current few years. Could even do a programme on the evolution of F1 cars. revolutionary ground effect, concepts, designs etc. it could be so educational and give so much knowledge.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 11:50  
F1 Routinier

If I could choose one person from US TV to cover the sport in this country it would be Steve Matchett. His books are fantastic, particularly Life in the Fast Lane and the Mechanic's Tale. Life in The Fast Lane was my favourite, you can get them all as an e-book for about a fiver each or do what I did and buy them second hand for even less. :p I definitely recommend them!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 11:53  

Peter Windsor would be fantastic too. Top journalist and so passionate, sometimes he posts videos on his blog that are beyond what you'd expect. He gets a bad stick because of the failed USF1 project, but you shouldn't let one issue taint a man.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 11:57  
F1 Routinier

Yeah I love his YouTube videos. Been some really enjoyable ones; when he went to the Maserati museum with Nigel Roebuck, went to Monza the day after the race, the Villeneuve event and Bottas driving the 1992 Williams.

Always enjoy The Flying Lap. :) And he's very good interacting with fans on Twitter. Compare to Joe and the commenters on his blog... :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 838 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 56  Next