Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by phil1993 » 29 Jul 2011, 09:25

mikhailv wrote:
François wrote:I mean for the BBC.
The BBC is just an epic failure.

I mean, they just bought a show to 'rival' x-factor for £17million. They pay presenters way way too much. 90% of the programmes bye the BBC are just utter c**p.

The only BBC programmes I watch are Luther, Topgear, Sherlock and F1 along with the news and Moto GP. Theres literally nothing else. Countryfile? Rubbish. One show? rubbish. all the escape to the country/homes under the hammer? Rubbish. Doctors and bargain hunt? rubbish. Cash in the attic? rubbish. almost all the tv shows on BBC are absolute rubbish.

I dont get how you could cut F1 which has a MASSIVE viewing platform, much much more than alot of those programmes put together but still keep the rubbish!

Funny how the government basically runs BBC and their fiasco with the Murdochs and links/connections. Who knows, maybe Bernies had his phone hacked and is being black mailed :zz: :roll::
This is only the second time I've ever agreed with you. This x1000

Sponsors will pull out if they don't get free-to-air for all the races. I can see F1 suffering badly. Sure, its only the UK, but the UK is easily the biggest part of Formula 1.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 29 Jul 2011, 09:43

Just read the news. Bye-bye to the best F1 coverage I've ever seen. It really sucks.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 Jul 2011, 09:51

phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:

I mean, they just bought a show to 'rival' x-factor for £17million. They pay presenters way way too much. 90% of the programmes bye the BBC are just utter c**p.

The only BBC programmes I watch are Luther, Topgear, Sherlock and F1 along with the news and Moto GP. Theres literally nothing else. Countryfile? Rubbish. One show? rubbish. all the escape to the country/homes under the hammer? Rubbish. Doctors and bargain hunt? rubbish. Cash in the attic? rubbish. almost all the tv shows on BBC are absolute rubbish.

I dont get how you could cut F1 which has a MASSIVE viewing platform, much much more than alot of those programmes put together but still keep the rubbish!

Funny how the government basically runs BBC and their fiasco with the Murdochs and links/connections. Who knows, maybe Bernies had his phone hacked and is being black mailed :zz: :roll::

Sponsors will pull out if they don't get free-to-air for all the races. I can see F1 suffering badly. Sure, its only the UK, but the UK is easily the biggest part of Formula 1.
Its not just the uk remember! Their feed is sold on to many many countries for a fee, so BBC get money BACK through selling on! This is whats REALLY bothering me!

I mean look at moto GP. 90% of the races, the qualifying and practice is red button only. Admitted BBC 2 showed the US GP, but thats the only race i remember live on terrestrial TV. Why are they wasting money on Moto GP if they arent using it! I love watching it, but no publicity, no advertising and the fact that BBC send out as many people to cover Moto as F1 just shows how much money they are throwing away.

Its not just that, but if it helps, get rid of the forum after the race. get rid of some of the c**p on the race build up. I wouldnt mind if we had the presenters sat in a motorhome somewhere just discussing the weekend, who they think will win etc. 500 people isnt necessary for the coverage surely. Keep the presenters, get the 5 live crew in on the television too at a round table and just have a good conversation about the key points of the weekend, have one of those brundle explanations and thats it. Im not bothered about loosing jake humphries going to mugello with fernando or water skiing with lewis. Its obsolete, if it cuts the cost then do it.

I quite like the sit down and have a good old fashion talk in the build. Sort of like the forum but before the race. it would be cheaper and it wouldnt take so many people to run the weekend.

The F1 coverage is fantastic. i love watching practice, I love watching quali and the race. I can live without all the bulls** inbetween, before and after. Just give me, the race, a half hour round table discussion before and after (take half hour from the pre-race and put it post-race) and just stick to the basics. its the racing we all want, so just give us it in its pure form.

Anyone else agree?

LongShot
kart driver
kart driver

Post by LongShot » 29 Jul 2011, 09:53

Bye BBC. I am going to buy Sky right now!
2008 - The season of optimism and success

2011 - The season where that German keeps on winning

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Jul 2011, 09:53

Yup.

BBC3 - £117m/year
Move to Salford from London is costing £900m

F1 coverage: £40-45m/year

As Lewis says, 'it's a joke, a frickin' joke'

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 Jul 2011, 09:56

And the other thing annoying me is when people say that if your a true F1 fan youll follow it on pay tv. Well, no. I read adam parr saying he was happy to trade viewers for more money. Well, what about sponsors? They wont get the exposure.

I was planning to goto monza with the girlfriend next year, she's well excited and up for it but if im only watchin 9 races, why bother?

lest the teams forget, that we DO pay for f1. not through TV-licence, but by PURCHASING merchandise! I myself by keyrings, jackets, tshirts, shoes scaled model cars. I spend more on merchandise than what a weekend to monza with flights and hotels would cost. We pay for F1. The sponsors subliminally affect us in one way or another too. There will be less coverage for fans, and there will also be aa sharp decline in viewing figures.

Will I bother watching it illegally online? no. Look at WRC. In its hayday i used to watch it. not its a 45 minuet highlight on DAVE or ESPN, they try to get alot of online coverage and so forth, but its pointless imo because i want to watch it on television. They forget not every home has broadband, or capabilities of putting the internet through the television. im lucky being an IT student and literally no life except computers and my girlfriend that I can do all that fandango HD streaming through my laptop onto the tele blah blah blah.

Its a grave mistake, grave grave mistake.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:00

mikhailv wrote:And the other thing annoying me is when people say that if your a true F1 fan youll follow it on pay tv. Well, no. I read adam parr saying he was happy to trade viewers for more money. Well, what about sponsors? They wont get the exposure.

I was planning to goto monza with the girlfriend next year, she's well excited and up for it but if im only watchin 9 races, why bother?

lest the teams forget, that we DO pay for f1. not through TV-licence, but by PURCHASING merchandise! I myself by keyrings, jackets, tshirts, shoes scaled model cars. I spend more on merchandise than what a weekend to monza with flights and hotels would cost. We pay for F1. The sponsors subliminally affect us in one way or another too. There will be less coverage for fans, and there will also be aa sharp decline in viewing figures.

Will I bother watching it illegally online? no. Look at WRC. In its hayday i used to watch it. not its a 45 minuet highlight on DAVE or ESPN, they try to get alot of online coverage and so forth, but its pointless imo because i want to watch it on television. They forget not every home has broadband, or capabilities of putting the internet through the television. im lucky being an IT student and literally no life except computers and my girlfriend that I can do all that fandango HD streaming through my laptop onto the tele blah blah blah.

This. I'll be at Uni next year. I can't afford Sky!

I'll write an article about this later, hope I can sum up the thoughts of many in a diplomatic way and I'll send it to a lot of people. Follow @f1zone on Twitter for more reaction.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 Jul 2011, 10:03

phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:And the other thing annoying me is when people say that if your a true F1 fan youll follow it on pay tv. Well, no. I read adam parr saying he was happy to trade viewers for more money. Well, what about sponsors? They wont get the exposure.

This. I'll be at Uni next year. I can't afford Sky!

I'll write an article about this later, hope I can sum up the thoughts of many in a diplomatic way and I'll send it to a lot of people. Follow @f1zone on Twitter for more reaction.
Thats 3 times youve agreed with me now :O

But on a serious note, F1 has just become so daft. If its not changing rules, changing them back. yes its illegal ban it, yes its illegal you can have it until the end of theyear, lets go bahrain, lets not, lets go, lets not....

....And bernie said he didnt have nothing to do with the sky/bbc deal. Quite funny. I dont recal BBC having rights till 2018 either.... its just pure bulls** all over. Maybe now though, I can focus on my uni course and I can finally buy that C4 coupe lmao!

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:04

mikhailv wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:

Its not just the uk remember! Their feed is sold on to many many countries for a fee, so BBC get money BACK through selling on! This is whats REALLY bothering me!

I mean look at moto GP. 90% of the races, the qualifying and practice is red button only. Admitted BBC 2 showed the US GP, but thats the only race i remember live on terrestrial TV. Why are they wasting money on Moto GP if they arent using it! I love watching it, but no publicity, no advertising and the fact that BBC send out as many people to cover Moto as F1 just shows how much money they are throwing away.

Its not just that, but if it helps, get rid of the forum after the race. get rid of some of the c**p on the race build up. I wouldnt mind if we had the presenters sat in a motorhome somewhere just discussing the weekend, who they think will win etc. 500 people isnt necessary for the coverage surely. Keep the presenters, get the 5 live crew in on the television too at a round table and just have a good conversation about the key points of the weekend, have one of those brundle explanations and thats it. Im not bothered about loosing jake humphries going to mugello with fernando or water skiing with lewis. Its obsolete, if it cuts the cost then do it.

I quite like the sit down and have a good old fashion talk in the build. Sort of like the forum but before the race. it would be cheaper and it wouldnt take so many people to run the weekend.

The F1 coverage is fantastic. i love watching practice, I love watching quali and the race. I can live without all the bulls** inbetween, before and after. Just give me, the race, a half hour round table discussion before and after (take half hour from the pre-race and put it post-race) and just stick to the basics. its the racing we all want, so just give us it in its pure form.

Anyone else agree?
Agreed, cutting away some of the features in exchange for broadcasting all races would be just reasonable. IMO they should keep the F1 forum though instead of the pre-race coverage if they had to choose. I'd rather watch a post-race analysis than pre-race blabbing of what they think could happen in qualy/race.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:05

How must the BBC team feel? They work so hard to produce coverage that is awesome, and then the men in suits above them decide to cut half their coverage.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 Jul 2011, 10:06

phil1993 wrote:How must the BBC team feel? They work so hard to produce coverage that is awesome, and then the men in suits above them decide to cut half their coverage.
Well from the sounds of it, Jake and Brundle are out of a job at least.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:08

mikhailv wrote:
phil1993 wrote:How must the BBC team feel? They work so hard to produce coverage that is awesome, and then the men in suits above them decide to cut half their coverage.
Brundle for me is the voice of F1. I mean, sure, people talk about Murray, but Brundle is brilliant. I've grown up listening to him.

And Jake will stay with the BBC, maybe do the 10 races, because he is quite obviously being groomed as their star man at the 2012 Olympics (wonder what the BBC budget is for that...)

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:12

And they certainly have the best lineup atm, too. The change in the commentary box was a great decision and only one year in, they blow it.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 Jul 2011, 10:13

phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
Brundle for me is the voice of F1. I mean, sure, people talk about Murray, but Brundle is brilliant. I've grown up listening to him.

And Jake will stay with the BBC, maybe do the 10 races, because he is quite obviously being groomed as their star man at the 2012 Olympics (wonder what the BBC budget is for that...)
But jakes interview on Radio 1 infered that he wont be retained for next year and was talking about the team from 09-11. Brundles out of a job according to twitter.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:18

Btw, what did they say about it during FP1?