Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by Bobdredds » 11 Aug 2011, 15:42

I doubt it will last that long. I think they have made a big mistake here and are way behind the times with this approach. It is one thing to lose casual fans for reasons like one team/driver domination or things like that but when you lose hardcore fans it is very bad. The fans in the UK deserve better than this.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 12 Aug 2011, 13:14

The problem with the Channel 4 proposal was that they would not have been ready until 2013. Which would not have been a problem if the BBC completed their contract.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 12 Aug 2011, 15:02

cformula1 wrote:The problem with the Channel 4 proposal was that they would not have been ready until 2013. Which would not have been a problem if the BBC completed their contract.
IMHO the BBC brought an increase in value to F1 and they could have easily reduced the cost for one year. After all the model was developed with taxpayers money and it wouuld have given something back for the support they give. Watching freeview was a privilage but it was a privilage that was earned and shouldn't be taken away, even a part of it. It was only commercial restraints that prevented the BBC from fully exploiting the revenue oppertuinity it created as far as I can see. C4 look to have a viable better model and to put it in perspective in regards to money in F1, they fined McLaren $100 million and didn't think it too much. Any which way you add it up freeview is the most sensible and profitable way to go for the teams and sponsors in my opinion. Having looked at it and drawn my own conclusions I am at least curious to see how right or wrong I am. One extra little bit of excitment to look forward to.
:blink: I think the teams need to step up and repay the support the got against Max. Of course there's one other susppician I have and that is that the new concorde agreement is going to give so much more to the teams regardless of what BE says that the Sky deal was one last roll of the dice to make another big deal before certain fundemental changes happen. The teams could then take the view that they will weather the year, get their new aggrement with all its benefits and then revert to freeview. Giving the fans what they want and appearing as the good guys. Of course it could be just my vivid imagination. :zz:
Something Bernie said in the last race comes to mind when he was asked where he saw F1 in 10 years. He replied that he no longer looked that far ahead.

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 16 Aug 2011, 13:27

Sky is pretty much the innocent party in all of this. The opportunity for them to get F1 broadcasts came up, so they grabbed it with both hands. I don't blame them.

The BBC is the real issue here. They ditched the F1 to cut costs yet I'm sure there are a pile of other rubbish shows they could have got rid of to save the money. And of course Bernie is always the issue.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 16 Aug 2011, 14:22

It was a shabby way of doing it and shows a complete lack of respect to fans and shows what they really think of us. A commodity to be exploited or ignored if we dissagree. I reiterate my stance that if Sky want to offer a better product they should have to improve it against a freeview standard.

KevC

Post by KevC » 16 Aug 2011, 21:03

F1Fan88 wrote: The BBC is the real issue here. They ditched the F1 to cut costs yet I'm sure there are a pile of other rubbish shows they could have got rid of to save the money. And of course Bernie is always the issue.
But then you have to fill those hours. What with? More programmes of course. Even repeats cost money. It was an easy option for them but I'm prepared to wait and see what the coverage is like before criticising it too much. In most cases it looks like you;d only need to avoid the result for 4 hours and the race will be on terrestrial. I do that anyway for the 5-6am jobs without any bother.

Maybe Bernie and the teams shouldn't be so greedy for so much money. It'll be interesting to see how the sponsors feel when they're getting fewer 'live' viewers. Would they rather have more people for less money I wonder. BBC is getting 5-6m without much trouble on a sunday afternoon. Sky will struggle to get 1m I think.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 16 Aug 2011, 21:28

Apparently Jon Desborough is interested in anchoring Sky's coverage, and it is expected that Tony Jardine and John Watson will be involved in the coverage.

EdC84
car driver
car driver

Post by EdC84 » 17 Aug 2011, 08:46

John Watson would be good, but Tony Jardine really annoyed me when he was on ITV.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Sep 2011, 07:49

BBC to be grilled by MP over the F1 deal
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2011/ ... -23389474/

I'm sceptical as to what will actually be resolved though

Full letter
http://bathlibdems.org.uk/en/article/20 ... ting-issue

KevC

Post by KevC » 02 Sep 2011, 13:24

Having seen Channel 4's athletics championships coverage I'm kind of glad now that they didn't get it!

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 03 Sep 2011, 18:31

Brundle says he doesn't know his plans for next year yet. hope they can retain the commentary team and share between the channels, Brundle and DC are a perfect combination.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 04 Sep 2011, 10:49

Kevin Clark wrote:Having seen Channel 4's athletics championships coverage I'm kind of glad now that they didn't get it!
You could also argue that after the shambles that was their athletics coverage they'd have learnt from it and would have much better coverage by the time they would have had the F1 rights (had they won the rights).

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Oct 2011, 21:00

Martin Brundle wrote:Answer to tweets. Yes I've had an offer from BBC and Sky. Yes I'ill be commentating F1 next year.

NewF1Boy
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by NewF1Boy » 24 Oct 2011, 13:55

The Daily Telegraph says that Sky will have Martin Brundle & David Croft next year.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -team.html

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 24 Oct 2011, 18:44

@ MBrundleF1: Telegraph was wrong,I didn't sign £1m Sky contract today. Calmly working through it, will end up doing what satisfies me most professionally