Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Formula One TV Coverage

Post by phil1993 » 20 Sep 2009, 13:52

Now this is not a rant, whilst I think the BBC are doing a fantastic job, I have felt really let down this year by the F~0~M.

Although they are considering running HD for Abu Dhabi, why not run it in the first place? In addition, some of the cool cameras they trialled last year (the view from the steering wheel back at the driver), the one mounted that looks back at the car and the driver and of course, the helmet cam. In addition, they seem to use lots of kerb cameras, which are good, but you see nothing much really AND we always cut to drivers' families (especially Hamilton United) every few laps.

Also, in support races, which are broadcast by the F~0~M, we miss lots of action due to terrible directing and hopeless camera positioning. Although we do have some cool views from the grandstands or podium cams that show the real speed of the cars and some cool heli shots, but some cameras that are at car height (maybe in the barriers, almost like the Monaco tunnel camera) might be nice

I hope they're gonna improve this by 2010 and although its good that we have better quality OB cameras, its not really anything special...

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 20 Sep 2009, 14:16

Finally we have a coverage thread !

Dutch RTL negotiates about new coverage contract
Spoiler:
At the end of this year, the current contract with 'rtl nederland' ends. rtl is negotiating with the F~0~M about a new contract, but rtl wants more. They are trying to extend by becoming content holder. With this extension they have the possibility to broadcast free practice on a digital channel (like BBC)
Also ...

And Gigawave unveiled the new 1080i onboard cams !!

So, F1 coverage is not dead. In a few days time we'll probably have onboard camera's to see Kimi eating ice-cream :zz:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 20 Sep 2009, 14:20

For the people who always wondered how the F1 camera's look like, here are some pictures

Stationary HD camera

Thermal image camera

GV LDK 5000 with Canon IF SD lens

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 21 Sep 2009, 08:32

Great news Tom I hope RTL will succeed in their negotiations with F~0~M, it will be good to finally have the FP coverage.

I for one think that the F~0~M coverage has been better than ever before. The onboard HD camera's look so much better than the SD's. Just look at vettel's side-cockpit camera at Spa. It's so sharp and clear. It's way more good-looking and the colors pop out much more compared to the desaturated look of the SD cams.

Also the teamspeak is more in the coverage but it could be more. And wouldn't it be cool to be able to download the whole radio transmission from every driver in every race? That way the expierience changes very much I guess. The whole race from the perspective from a driver, not only in footage, but also audio.

In hungary and Spa, the heli cams made some impressive footage too. The line comparisons are too few, but they're well done. I'm satisfied with it, and it will only be getting better from now on!

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 21 Sep 2009, 14:09

I think one of the worst things about the TV coverage is the control of the rights by F~O~M. They are really bad with allowing others to promote their sport. The thing about removing Youtube videos is well covered so I won't go into that, but the fact that no organisation or person can use Formula 1 coverage in their videos, and that the ban is so absolute is almost shooting themselves in the foot I feel. Whenever a sponsor makes a video they have to use either computer graphics, or just general archive footage from testing and they cannot use 'real' footage - but if they were to use the real footage it would enhance their image, enhance the appreciation of the casual viewers who do possibly have never seen F1 or do not know what it is about, and goes as far as discoveraging other investors because the platform of adverting at a live F1 venue is consigned to history once a race is over.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 21 Sep 2009, 14:14

TheViewer wrote:I think one of the worst things about the TV coverage is the control of the rights by F~O~M. They are really bad with allowing others to promote their sport. The thing about removing Youtube videos is well covered so I won't go into that, but the fact that no organisation or person can use Formula 1 coverage in their videos, and that the ban is so absolute is almost shooting themselves in the foot I feel. Whenever a sponsor makes a video they have to use either computer graphics, or just general archive footage from testing and they cannot use 'real' footage - but if they were to use the real footage it would enhance their image, enhance the appreciation of the casual viewers who do possibly have never seen F1 or do not know what it is about, and goes as far as discoveraging other investors because the platform of adverting at a live F1 venue is consigned to history once a race is over.
:thumbsup:

Ecclestone knows how to make money in the old way only.... Just look at the official Formula 1 site... There are so many possibilities he is not using..

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Formula One TV Coverage

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 21 Sep 2009, 15:51

F1 in HD
Japanese television channel FujiTV is broadcasting the Japanese GP in HD ! After an agreement with F~0~M, the channel has the rights to add this extension. This is the 3rd year FujiTV will broadcast the Grand Prix in HD. After a succesfull broadcast in 2006 and 2007. At the moment, Abu Dhabi wants a HD broadcast as well. But this HD broadcast would be viewable for all channels all over the world. This would be the first time F1 will be broadcasted in HD on every channel. This could be a useful boost for F1’s high-profile end-of-season event at the ambitious new Yas Marina venue. Formula 1’s uptake of high definition has been painfully slow. Rival championships like A1 Grand Prix have had the technology for some time and NASCAR has been broadcasting in HD since 2005. Last year NASCAR was even available in HD in Britain where it is very much a minority sport. BBC F1 reporter Lee Mckenzie mentioned on Twitter revealed this year that the hold-up on HD is at F~0~M’s end: broadcasters like BBC are ready to roll with HD coverage, but F~0~M aren’t supplying a high definition feed. “I think maybe 2010 [they will] though” she added.

As someone who bought a high definition TV a few months ago in the belief that F1 could not possibly go much longer without catching up with the rest of the broadcasting world, this is good (if long overdue) news!

Code: Select all

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/06/05/f1-may-get-first-hd-show-at-abu-dhabi/ and F1Zone
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Lw91OtG2Y[/youtube]

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 21 Sep 2009, 15:56

Go RTL7!!! :D
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 30 Sep 2009, 11:00

It's confirmed, FujiTV will be the broadcaster this weekend instead of F~0~M ...

R.I.P the Japanese Grand prix

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 30 Sep 2009, 13:00

Tom Vandenhove wrote:It's confirmed, FujiTV will be the broadcaster this weekend instead of F~0~M ...

R.I.P the Japanese Grand prix
If the race goes for 1hr and 45 minutes, we will have 1hr35mins of following Kazuki Nakajima, and 10mins fo the est of the action :confused: :(

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 30 Sep 2009, 13:01

cformula1 wrote:If the race goes for 1hr and 45 minutes, we will have 1hr35mins of following Kazuki Nakajima, and 10mins fo the est of the action :confused: :(
Not if he crashes in the 2nd corner like last year :lol:

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 30 Sep 2009, 13:09

Tom Vandenhove wrote:
cformula1 wrote:If the race goes for 1hr and 45 minutes, we will have 1hr35mins of following Kazuki Nakajima, and 10mins fo the est of the action :confused: :(
Not if he crashes in the 2nd corner like last year :lol:
Let's hope his car fails or he has a harmless crash :pray: .
Only because that is the only way we get unbiased TV coverage :) .

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 30 Sep 2009, 13:55

You've forgotten about Toyota, they'll get plenty of airtime as well. But Fuji TV did a good job the last two years and F~0~M do a c**p job anyway so I'm not worried about a home broadcaster.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 Sep 2009, 15:19

F~0~M do the directing at all Grand Prixs except for Monaco, hence why the directing at Monaco was c**p

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 30 Sep 2009, 16:10

swca92 wrote:You've forgotten about Toyota, they'll get plenty of airtime as well. But Fuji TV did a good job the last two years and F~0~M do a c**p job anyway so I'm not worried about a home broadcaster.
Rubbish, they do a decent job at most races compared to what you would get with a home broadcaster.