Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by swca92 » 11 Oct 2010, 14:52

I'm doing an article on this, either for the magazine or I'll just post it in the User articles section. Anyone have any complaints about their country's coverage of F1??? Don't bother if you have BBC coverage, because I'll metaphorically tear Jonathan Legard a new bumhole.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Oct 2010, 16:47

BBC receive 300 complaints.
The BBC has received nearly 300 complaints from viewers after it switched live coverage of yesterday's Korean Formula One grand prix from BBC1 to BBC2 after the race was delayed because of rain.

Coverage of the grand prix was due to run on BBC1 from 6am to 9.15am, when The Andrew Marr Show was scheduled to begin.

The politics show was put back by 15 minutes to 9.30am, but the grand prix had still not finished and the live coverage was switched to BBC2 for another hour. Unfortunately for the BBC, that was when many of the most exciting incidents took place. As a result some 273 complained to the BBC.

Some viewers who had set their personal video recorders to record the grand prix claimed that they had been deprived of the climax to the race.

But the BBC pointed out that the race was shown again "as live" on BBC1 at 2pm, with highlights on BBC3 at 7pm, and it was also available to view on the BBC's iPlayer. The delay to its coverage was due to circumstances beyond its control, the BBC said.

The start of the race was delayed by 10 minutes but was then halted after just two laps because of the amount of water on the track. It was restarted after 45 minutes behind the safety car, which did not leave the track until the end of lap 17.

BBC1's coverage of the race between 6am and 9.30am averaged 1.328 million viewers. An hour of extra coverage on BBC2 between 9.30am and 10.30am averaged 1.595 million viewers.

A BBC spokesman said: "Sunday's Korean Grand Prix was delayed due to extreme weather. The subsequent disruption to the schedule was flagged up to the audience throughout via the commentary and was also made clear again just prior to switching the coverage to BBC Two.

"The race was re-run in full on BBC One at 1400 and was available on-demand via BBC iPlayer. There was also an hour-long highlights show transmitted at 1900 on BBC Three. The BBC is committed to showing all 19 Grands Prix live and as our flagship channel BBC One is the natural home for Formula One.

"However, the BBC also has a responsibility to reflect a wide range of interests and therefore the decision was taken to switch the F1 coverage to BBC Two until its conclusion."
None about Legard though, who was awful on Sunday. With all the action I only noticed one or two hiccups (albeit major ones when he failed to notice Hamilton overtaken by Rosberg and then calling Rosberg 'Lewis Hamilton' when Nico was strolling back to the pits) but on reflection it was his worst performance. He needs to go.

This is just comical: "Suddenlawooosh"

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 28 Oct 2010, 10:47

Found this on the Autosport forum: :lol:
Spoiler:

damon
kart driver
kart driver

Post by damon » 28 Oct 2010, 12:58

cformula1 wrote:Found this on the Autosport forum: :lol:
Spoiler:
Is that real or 'photoshopped'?!

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 30 Oct 2010, 07:59

It is photoshopped (although I wish it were real! :lol: ).

skywatcher
Donator
Donator

Post by skywatcher » 01 Nov 2010, 04:54

As an American viewer the past 20+ years, I've suffered through the abomination of ABC Sports, Speed Channel then SpeedTV (Speed was okay until I heard BBC), for all the complaints they get, I'd much rather listen to Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard over Sam Posey and David Hobbs any day. Thank God for places like this on the internet where I can get the races again, I don't have TV where I'm at so without F1Zone I'd be out of luck.

+ for BBC coverage
- for SpeedTV Coverage

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 08 Nov 2010, 18:56

I switched from BBC to our local channel (1st class idiots) again

justsayin

geewhiz14
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by geewhiz14 » 09 Nov 2010, 09:26

I wish they'd mount cameras in the part of the car that would show the drivers' footwork. Then have a small pic-on-pic of the driver going through the track and his footwork. That would be awesome.
Football+Racing+Design+Travel: http://bouncebackabilitrix.wordpress.com
Architecture+Design+Arts&Crafts+Lifestyle: http://marjitecture.wordpress.com

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 09 Nov 2010, 10:29

I always watch the BBC pre-show, as RTL7 pre-show is really poor. But the race I watch on RTL7 cause Olav Mol's quotes and reactions are beautiful and funny. Sometimes he's wrong, but I don't care, because it's Olav. But when he quits it'll be probably fully BBC..
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

LiamN
kart driver
kart driver

Post by LiamN » 21 Dec 2010, 11:30

I won't miss Legard, he doesn't seem to be able to follow what's going on much of the time.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Dec 2010, 07:45

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 25 Dec 2010, 00:24

Rumours circulating that Brundle has managed to persuade BBC to have David Coulthard as a replacement for Legard.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 25 Dec 2010, 14:07

shailf1 wrote:Rumours circulating that Brundle has managed to persuade BBC to have David Coulthard as a replacement for Legard.
That's not going to work, IMHO. Two commentators are like having two strikers without a midfielder. No assist, no goal.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 26 Dec 2010, 00:03

Ali wrote:
shailf1 wrote:Rumours circulating that Brundle has managed to persuade BBC to have David Coulthard as a replacement for Legard.
That's not going to work, IMHO. Two commentators are like having two strikers without a midfielder. No assist, no goal.
It works in cricket, so I think it is worth a try at least in F1. I do feel that this is a risk and could backfire on the BBC. Brundle will probably do the starts, having doneso once before (2000 French GP).

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 26 Dec 2010, 00:21

cformula1 wrote:
Ali wrote:
It works in cricket, so I think it is worth a try at least in F1. I do feel that this is a risk and could backfire on the BBC. Brundle will probably do the starts, having doneso once before (2000 French GP).
In my opinion Brundle cant be the lead commentator, he is there to give insight and more technical knowledge, but he lacks the ability to just talk on like a lead commentator should do. I don't think DC could be a lead commentator as he hasnt even done proper commentating yet. So dont think they do not work. Maybe BBC are going for 3 pple, but that seems unlikely.
Croft is a good lead commentator, but I don't think he is going to leave 5 live.Maybe Ben Edwards or James Allen(not him! :zz: ).