Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by donald29 » 16 Feb 2013, 09:48

mikhailv wrote:
donald29 wrote:Is Georgie Thompson not doing F1 any more? Natalie Pinkham is presenting the F1 Show and she's not on the Sky website any more.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1-on-sky-sports/our-team
Rumour I heard is that lazenby is gone, Thompson is fronting the live shows.
Lazenby's still on the website. Apparently Georgie is off the BT Football.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 17 Feb 2013, 09:52

Anyone knows if the F1 Legends feature will be continued?

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Feb 2013, 21:18

Steve Ryder is still listed on there as part of the 'team' and interviews with drivers from the past was what he did so I guess they have more interviews planned.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 17 Feb 2013, 22:01

Could anybody tell me about the quality of the F1 coverage in Germany? RTL is probably going to be a much cheaper option than Canal+ for me and I understand the language so I'll be looking into that.

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 17 Feb 2013, 22:43

RTL is pretty bad in comparison with BBC/Sky. Commentator Heiko Waßer is talking rubbish all the time and pundit Christian Danner can only correct half of it. Waßer is the worst commentator I know but he has been doing it since 1994 and is a legend for some (more like herpes if you ask me...). Anchorman Florian König is okay but his conversations with "expert" Niki Lauda are not very rich in content. Kai Ebel seems to be a nice guy but sometimes his questions are pretty stupid. He's a "legend" as well...
RTL is focused on the German drivers and in love with Vettel and that is what most of their build-up programs are about. You will miss nothing very insightful if you do not watch them.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 17 Feb 2013, 23:00

I totally understand you! Sometimes I am condemned to watch F1 on RTL. My nerves suffer a lot, especially during the eternal commercial breaks.

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 Feb 2013, 23:25

thankfully sky has been very fair. ITV was hamilton centric for 2 year, BBC was pro british and DC couldnt be any more pro redbull/vettel.

sky is quite equal.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 17 Feb 2013, 23:32

Agreed.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Feb 2013, 10:49

Thats why I really like sky.

Yeah crofty can be annoying, Thompson wasn't the most knowledgeable (lets be honest, who here didnt listen to Ant Davidson and just admired Georgies arse and body!?) but you've got Herbert, Hill, Brundle, Mcnish (guest), Villeneuve (guest), Davidson, Kravitz and Pinkham.

Now to me, they've all been very fair. Sometimes you get abit of Fanboy through like with Kravitz, but its not overly pushing or anything. They are critical to all and complimentary to all. I think the fact that the line up is mostly actual drivers with relevance, I like the fact that Lazenby was nothing like Jake Humphries who you wouldve thought grew up in the F1 paddock and was everyones best mate.

I only wish we had Eddie jordan on sky because he is the controversial flare that is missing. Could you imagine Jordan with herbert, Hill and Brundle? Or even Jacques!?

I also wish they would get rid of Crofty and bring in Ben Edwards. I ADORE his voice. I loved it when he commentated with BTCC, and he does the DVD's of F1.

Thats the only weak spot; crofty. He makes many mistakes and he is too shouty. Ben Edwards knows how to build the excitement up with his tone of voice, and when he is excited his voice isn't over powering. Miles better commentator.

Sky if your listening, poach Jordan and Edwards please. But whatever you do, put a bullet in Gary Andersons cranium will you??

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 18 Feb 2013, 14:55

We may have a dedicated F1 channel in the UK but the jury is still out on whether its value for money. I can't justify the extra cost right now for essentially what would be one extra channel I would wish to watch. It's sad things have gone this way but thank goodness we still have most of the coverage on the BBC. If it eventually goes from there and on to Sky only, I will reluctantly find something else to follow. I guess I won't be alone if that day comes :(

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Feb 2013, 17:13

Alex_f1_baby wrote:We may have a dedicated F1 channel in the UK but the jury is still out on whether its value for money. I can't justify the extra cost right now for essentially what would be one extra channel I would wish to watch. It's sad things have gone this way but thank goodness we still have most of the coverage on the BBC. If it eventually goes from there and on to Sky only, I will reluctantly find something else to follow. I guess I won't be alone if that day comes :(

Its dirt cheap if your on sky; £9 for the HD pack gets you Sky Sports F1. You dont need the sports pack.

I have virgin media, so I pay £22.50 a month extra. I only pay it to watch Formula 1, but i've found myself and my dad recently been watching alot more snooker and pool tournaments, the Rugby on Sky Sports.

Thing is, neither of us like football. my grandad did, but he passed away in 2011 which sucks because..... yeah. Wouldve loved it.

KevC

Post by KevC » 18 Feb 2013, 23:23

I've heard a rumour that something is going to be changing about the prices of the F1 channel or how to get it for new customers. Sky are shaking up their packages for April. Should know soon, not that it affects me, I pay for the sports lot anyway.

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 19 Feb 2013, 17:31

mikhailv wrote:Its dirt cheap if your on sky; £9 for the HD pack gets you Sky Sports F1. You dont need the sports pack.

I have virgin media, so I pay £22.50 a month extra. I only pay it to watch Formula 1, but i've found myself and my dad recently been watching alot more snooker and pool tournaments, the Rugby on Sky Sports.

Thing is, neither of us like football. my grandad did, but he passed away in 2011 which sucks because..... yeah. Wouldve loved it.
I'm not on Sky though Mik :(
It would be very expensive if I was to add Sky HD to what I already have and I can't justify it right now. My partner has Sky at his parents house and we've watched a few races there when they haven't been on the BBC. I can't say I was impressed enough to think I'd want to spent the extra money on it. The BBC is better I think and at least they have half the races and the highlights are decent. I'll stick to that!

Sorry to hear you lost your grandad x

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 19 Feb 2013, 20:07

Cheers mate, it was back in 2011 and he loved F1 and his football lol!

And sky appear to have changed their structure indeed; HD pack is £10.25 and its an extra £5 for Sky sports F1 HD. meaning £15.

Crazy

KevC

Post by KevC » 19 Feb 2013, 22:19

mikhailv wrote:Cheers mate, it was back in 2011 and he loved F1 and his football lol!

And sky appear to have changed their structure indeed; HD pack is £10.25 and its an extra £5 for Sky sports F1 HD. meaning £15.

Crazy
Don't think so.
It seems the F1 channel is being dropped from the HD pack so to get it you'll have to get the sports pack. This will not affect existing people who have it as part of the HD pack.