The race to the 2009 F1 Title

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: The race to the 2009 F1 Title

Post by JoostLamers » 02 Sep 2009, 16:59

phil1993 wrote:If Button outscores the others at Monza, he'll be WDC IMO. But I was talking to a JB fan at Spa and he reckons that Jenson has lost all confidence in his car and is blaming it on the tyres, when that isn't the issue: its the pressure: Barrichello should have been 3rd in Spa and he won in Valencia when Button was just 7th. He needs to up his game and stop being smooth and start being aggressive!!!
+1
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 03 Sep 2009, 13:17

Updated to include constructors points.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 04 Sep 2009, 11:04

Horner: "From now on, every race is a World Cup Final"
Spoiler:
Red Bull Racing must now treat every race like a World Cup Final if it is going to beat rivals Brawn GP to the title.

That is the view of team principal Christian Horner, who thinks that the increasingly-tight field in Formula 1 means his outfit cannot afford to let any more opportunities slip through its fingers if it is going to hunt down Jenson Button.

"The teams have closed up together and every weekend is now a World Cup Final," said Horner. "We have got to get it right.

"We are in the position where we have everything to gain, because if you look at the average over the last four or five races, then the momentum has been with us rather than with Brawn."

Although Button holds a 16-point advantage at the head of the championship table over his team-mate Rubens Barrichello, with Red Bull duo Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber a little further adrift, it is the form over recent races that has left Horner quite confident.

Since the five races since the Turkish Grand Prix in June, Jenson Button has scored just 11 points. This compares to Barrichello's 21, and Vettel and Webber's 24 over the same period.

Button's tally also interestingly puts him behind Kimi Raikkonen (24), Nico Rosberg (19), Lewis Hamilton (18) and Heikki Kovalainen (13).

Horner added: "Brawn has not been having a good run, despite the win it had in Valencia - and certainly Jenson since Turkey has not been on the podium.

"We did some damage early on at Silverstone and Germany, and then got a podium in Hungary and a podium in Belgium. There is still a long way to go in the championship, the points are closing up and I think it will be an exciting finish.

"I would say it is all open. You have four guys there who are going to have an interesting run in until the end of the series. Both our guys are in the hunt and Rubens has taken 12 points out of Jenson in the last two races. It is a four-horse battle."

Horner also believes that, with KERS set to be a big advantage in next week's Italian Grand Prix, his team's focus will have to be purely on beating Brawn rather than out-and-out victory.

"Monza is a power track and the guys with KERS are going to be pretty strong there," he said. "At Monza we will probably have to run a little less downforce, but there are still some quick corners there and I still think that we can take on the Brawns there."

Red Bull Racing's hopes have also been slightly boosted by the team discovering that the engine failure on Webber's car in Saturday practice at Spa was caused by an ancillary component failure - so the power-unit is fine to be brought back into action.

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78306

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 04 Sep 2009, 11:25

i guess it is not a race it is a crawl to the finish..
In last 5 races Button scored 11 points, Barri scored 21, vettel and webber both scored 26 each

We had 5 different winners in last 5 races

on the other hand
Kimi scored 27 points

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 04 Sep 2009, 11:35

phil1993 wrote:If Button outscores the others at Monza, he'll be WDC IMO. But I was talking to a JB fan at Spa and he reckons that Jenson has lost all confidence in his car and is blaming it on the tyres, when that isn't the issue: its the pressure: Barrichello should have been 3rd in Spa and he won in Valencia when Button was just 7th. He needs to up his game and stop being smooth and start being aggressive!!!
He cant be aggressive. Thats buttons problem. his style of driving hinders him more than helps him. if the car isnt in tune with his style, he struggles because he cant adapt and change his style.

If you look this year, the car was dominant and working smoothly; jenson won. But when the car fell off the radar slightly, barrichello's aggressive style brought him to be the better performing driver. Jenson hasnt got the ability to change his style to suit. The car must suit him other wise he will be out performed. Look at Honda, 06 and 07 it suited jenson, 08 suited rubens as it required more agressive style.

I think psychological factor comes into play aswell, because Button cant cope with pressure from other drivers. Everythings 'lack of grip' this and 'tyres that'. Why did barrichello do so well in quali?? easily a second a lap faster (before he has all the mysterious screw ups with the car. No conspiracy like, it happens).

Button WILL lose the championship, and tbf, he doesnt deserve it now. Its asif he's playing for Bernies medals. Won 6 races, dont need to perform for the other 12 races. everyones won one race bar Vettel is it?

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 04 Sep 2009, 21:18

Yep, Vettel 2, Webber 1, Hamilton 1, Barrichello 1, Raikkonen 1. It's amazing to me therefore that the others have been allowed to catch up. I mean commentators were talking about the best start to a season ever 6 races in. Now look at it. Probably less points than Hamilton last year, and that was a season decided by cock-ups and endurance. Mind you, if one of the drivers fails to make any big gain on Button at Monza, I would count that driver out of the running. 20 points (or so) is still a nice manageable gap.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 05 Sep 2009, 03:16

phil1993 wrote:I think its gonna be very close. Button needs a good race in Monza.. it should suit the cars, but shoulds havent been translated into reality so far this season!! What we are seeing is that Brawn and Red Bull now dont have the best cars and are scrambling to get the points, which may well now go to BMWs, FIs, McLarens, Kimi and Rosberg and this could be critical in helping Button to win the title, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Raikkonen pop up into P3 in the drivers title... he's only 21 points behind Vettel and has got 24pts in the last 3 races compared to Vettel's 6 and Webber's 6... strangely, Webber has qualified and finished 9th for both Valencia and Spa... If I were to predict the final drivers table, I think it'll be something like this:

Button 95
Barrichello 78
Vettel 75
Webber 70
Raikkonen 65
Hamilton 45
Rosberg 40
i will be largely surprised if Button does get that many points. but i do think he will manage to win the championship.
i believe Hamilton will be the one to come in P5 largely because Ferrari will not be getting any upgrades for remainder of season and Mclaren will continue to do so, and they are very strong in the high downforce tracks

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 05 Sep 2009, 03:17

shail69 wrote:Massa is out of it, if he wins the remaining races and button has all DNFs,they will have the same number of point but massa will have 5 wins while Button will have 6 + massa is injured.
i am not able to understand any part of your sentence... :confused:
massa out of it--- he wins remaining 5???? :blink:

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 05 Sep 2009, 03:23

sdutt wrote:
shail69 wrote:Massa is out of it, if he wins the remaining races and button has all DNFs,they will have the same number of point but massa will have 5 wins while Button will have 6 + massa is injured.

ok, now i get it. so you corrected cformula1. sorry for the false alarm :)

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 05 Sep 2009, 10:30

sdutt wrote:
sdutt wrote:

ok, now i get it. so you corrected cformula1. sorry for the false alarm :)
Yes, I made a mistake. I put Massa as mathematical chance of winning title, but there are 5 race remaining and Button has won 6 races and Massa 0, and that is excluding Massa's injury. So sorry for the confusion (it was 11pm and I'd been up since 6am).

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 06 Sep 2009, 07:22

It's tricky to predict what will happen, but in my opinion Button had built up one hell of a lead in the first seven races, and will be very hard to catch now. There's been an obvious lack of form from him (or his car) since, but he still managed to score points in every race except Spa, where he got caught up in an early collision. Strong as they may be, his main rivals haven't shown that much consistency, and I can't really see one of them suddenly start dominating the final five races and claim the championship.

So my guess is that Button will be champion thanks to his outstanding early-season form, but without much glory. Unless he suddenly ups his game!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 Sep 2009, 08:30

What Autosport were saying is despite his luck and poor form in the last 5 races, Button deserves his 16pt lead because after Monaco, he felt miffed to have won 5 races and only have a 16pt lead.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 06 Sep 2009, 09:30

With all due respect to Button, despite of his strong form earlier his results have been very much mediocre for some time now. Had this been one of the previous years, no championship contender could have been able to hold his lead after five weak results. It's starting to look more of a joke if he can still win the championship by just getting some 1-3 points from each race until the end.

But the whole championship is a bit bizarre as nobody has managed to make a car that works perfectly on every track. McLaren & Ferrari have suddenly come alive too and the championship would look quite different if it had started just a couple of races ago.

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 06 Sep 2009, 16:47

I am sure the 2009 F1 title will not been played between the drivers but between the engine
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 06 Sep 2009, 18:37

Totopupu wrote:I am sure the 2009 F1 title will not been played between the drivers but between the engine
And Mercedes will win :n