It is currently 28 Jul 2017, 14:50

All times are UTC

Do you think it's a good idea to have teams with three cars?
Yes, all of them 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Yes, just the top teams 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, if they're not allowed to score points 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No, unless there are too few cars 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Never 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: Re: Three car teams in the future
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 06:34  

I like the rule of the 2004 ish season, where any team that finished below 4th in the previous years Constructors Championship got the chance to field a 3rd car on Friday. (so this year that would mean everyone but McLaren, Ferrari, BMW and Renault in 2009 and next year everyone but Brawn, RBR, McLaren and Ferrari). As Sam Michaels said, a 3rd car in races would clutter things up and team orders would come into place a lot and would almost be used as a dummy: think of the treatment some 2nd drivers get (Kova) so imagine what treatment a 3rd race driver would get...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 06:37  
F1 Routinier

phil1993 wrote:
I like the rule of the 2004 ish season, where any team that finished below 4th in the previous years Constructors Championship got the chance to field a 3rd car on Friday. (so this year that would mean everyone but McLaren, Ferrari, BMW and Renault in 2009 and next year everyone but Brawn, RBR, McLaren and Ferrari). As Sam Michaels said, a 3rd car in races would clutter things up and team orders would come into place a lot and would almost be used as a dummy: think of the treatment some 2nd drivers get (Kova) so imagine what treatment a 3rd race driver would get...

Agreed.
But I would let every team field a third driver in return for no in-season testing (except maybe 3-4 official test days).

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 07:52  
F1 Driver

It can only be implemented if points-paying positions are also increased to top 12 or 14. Then, smaller teams would have chance to grab some points. Otherwise, I can't see this happening.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 02:21  
car driver

I voted yes, because IF its a year like the present IMO it will give the best drivers a chance to shine. I would like to see returning back to the qualification of the cars like it was in the 80's, have only 24 cars qualifying to run for the qualifying session the next day.... imagine names that would be out of the GP for that weekend! A 3rd car would give worthy drivers a chance in F1 instead of graduating from other lower formula and have nowhere to go, so effectively the driver pool would be come better and the competition even better. Having said that it would require a year like this one where anything goes and all the cars are so close together in performance. I dont think though that this could be a reality due to the money and resources required nowdays...
 Offline Profile