It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 19:39

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 19:45  
Co-Admin
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Posts: 4153
Location: Bombay
Country: India (in)
Tom Vandenhove wrote:
Uhm Zack.. I'm not a member of scribd. Any chance of a downloadable version where I don't need to sign up for ?


ohh! Updated my post :O

_________________
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 19:46  
F1 Rookie

Joined: 16 Mar 2008, 15:03
Posts: 865
blizzard wrote:
MP4/4#12 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Yesterday, in Paris, the FIA met to discuss what should happen with regard to the penalty against the Renault F1 Team.

At the same time, many respected people from the world of football were in a church in England at the funeral of Sir Bobby Robson, a footballing genius both on the pitch and in the dugout as well as being a true gentleman

I`ve seen it on the news, i agree, Robson is a football legend !

A great man's funeral was at the same time as the hearing of a team, driver, and team boss which has disgraced itself. It's a poignant reminder of how the world works...

Also, is it just me who thinks that Piquet should be banned for life for his part in the scandal?


Don`t worry, he "banned" himself, what Team will want him as a driver after this ? Like it or not, every team has their secrets, be it good or bad, no one will want a former driver that will tell the media abou them.

About Briatore, well personally i think it`s fair, for a lot of reasons since 1994....


True MP4/#12,
Briatore was perhaps the worst of the bunch, regarding his Mafia connection and all that.

But almost every team and certainly every big team has a few corpses in their basement. :lol:
For example Williams what happened to the steering column, why did Patrick Head work against the investigation team in Italy?

Well, the man didn`t want to go to jail, maybe :) ? I`m kidding here, just to clarify things, i dont care it the steering broke before or after the crash. Ayrton knew the risks and accepted them and that`s it, no one should be blamed.

Or Ferrari, Jean Todt fixed a few races himself by team orders, I´m sure there is more in the background. We know that Rubinho can be a bit of a cry baby, but I believe him that there was a lot of dirty laundry washed at Ferrari behind closed doors.

Yeah, and FIA at the time didnt react, that`s why the joke FIArrari started !

Or McLaren, countless scandals in the past. Ron Dennis is gone for good now, he was one in the same category as Todt, although in a different way.

Like Sir Frank Williams, he`s a self-made man that built the most successfull team since early 80`s, you can`t do that while being a "gentleman" but you have to admire his style.

And of course the crooks of all crooks : Bernie and Max.

Is it me that keeps thinking: All of this seems to be some kind of revenge for that sex scandal ? Max nailed Ron, and Flavio.....who`s next i wonder :lol: ?F1 is full of those people, we shouldn´t fool ourselves.

But in fact we love the sport and that´s what we should concentrate on. Nobody knows how much dirty stuff is still undiscovered behind the scenes and if I´m honest I don´t want to know it.

I think that I speak for all F1 fans in that case.

Yes, i think you do mate ! I hate this scandals...

We want to see the sport we love and we know that there are close to zero nice people in F1, but which chief executive or president is nice in football or basketball? It´s all the same behind closed doors, too much money and too many egos involved.
That´s life.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 21:16  
F1 Rookie
User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009, 17:21
Posts: 673
You have to either be the luckiest person in the world or be an unscrupulous asshat to get to the level where those in charge of F1 are... Most people aren't lucky and none are that lucky for that long...
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 06:53  
Co-Admin
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Posts: 4153
Location: Bombay
Country: India (in)
Witness X aka Whistleblower :huh: .... (reminds me of Woman X :p )
    He was present in fixture meeting.
    Renault employee.
    Not on high profile position in the team.
:huh:

It seems like Flavio Briatore was not the main culprit ''hmm''

Two(Witness X & Pat) Recorded Statements says its was Nelson's idea.

_________________
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 10:20  
F1 Driver
User avatar

Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 14:53
Posts: 2433
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
phil1993 wrote:
Also, is it just me who thinks that Piquet should be banned for life for his part in the scandal?

definitely. he was as much involved as Briatore, he should've said no. its no good him saying 'sorry, i regret doing it now' not exactly gonna change anything is it?

_________________
Image
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 10:24  
F1 Rookie
User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008, 16:29
Posts: 914
Alonso should give Rosberg Singapore's trophy, no?
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 10:42  
F1 Routinier

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 10:50
Posts: 3936
Country: Belgium (be)
Today's renault headlines ... :shhh:

Symonds will 'always regret' his actions
Spoiler:
[u]By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 08:59 GMT[/u]

Renault's former director of engineering Pat Symonds has said it will be to his 'eternal regret' that he ever took part in the race-fix plans at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Symonds resigned from Renault last week when it became clear that he was involved in the conspiracy for a crash by Nelson Piquet to bring out a safety car in last year's race to help Fernando Alonso win.

Although Symonds was not present at Monday's FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing into the matter, which resulted in him being banned from international motorsport for five years, he did provide a written statement where he expressed his regret at going ahead with the scheme after it had been suggested by Piquet on Saturday night.

"The idea for this incident was entirely conceived by Nelson Piquet Jr. It was he who first approached me with the idea. At the time I naively believed that it was something he wanted to do for the good of the team," stated Symonds.

"I was not aware of the position of his contract negotiations although with the benefit of hindsight I now consider that he believed that his actions would have a favourable effect on these negotiations."

Symonds denied that Alonso's starting strategy to stop after 14 laps was based on the race fix plans - and claimed that it was not that unusual because of the problems with the soft tyres.

He cited as evidence that fact that in Australia this year, Lewis Hamilton started from the back row of the grid with the softest tyre and stopped after only 11 laps.

However, he expressed deep remorse at pushing ahead with Piquet's plans - which started off a chain of events that brought an end to his distinguished and successful career with Renault.

"In mitigation I would like to acknowledge my role in this incident. I was the one who, when the idea was first suggested to me by Nelson Piquet Jr., should have dismissed it immediately. It is to my eternal regret and shame that I did not do so.

"I can only say that I did it out of a misguided devotion to my team and not for any personal gain whatsoever. I consider the role I have played in bringing the team to where it is today to be my life's work. I started the nucleus of the team 28 years ago with only 19 other people. Today it has grown to an organisation that directly employs over 500 people and supports innumerable local and international businesses.

"The last thing that I ever wanted to do was to jeopardise that team and the many people to whom I had an overwhelming responsibility.

"In a single action I have destroyed the high reputation I have built up during a 33 year career in motor sport. I am a competitive person who worked in a high pressure environment. This can, at times, cloud one's judgement. I have always tried to be an honest person, a fact I hope you will give me credit for by witness of my statements to the stewards in Belgium.

"On that night in Singapore last year I made a mistake the consequences of which I could never have imagined at the time. For that mistake I can only offer all of you, and all those touched by the action I was involved in, my profound apology."
Code:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78798


Hamilton: Piquet could return to F1
Spoiler:
By Edd Straw Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 09:51 GMT

World champion Lewis Hamilton believes that his former GP2 title rival Nelson Piquet could get a second chance in Formula 1 despite his involvement in the Singapore 2008 scandal.

The Brazilian has targeted a return to the grid next year, and Hamilton, who beat the 24-year-old to the F1 support series crown in 2006, thinks that he could still realise his potential.

"He's a good driver and he's had a great career, so who knows," said Hamilton during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Phone-In this morning.

"For sure, there are opportunities for him in the future and I can only wish him the best."

Hamilton added that, although he cannot understand how Piquet feels after his involvement in the controversy, he expects the former Renault driver to bounce back.

"Not really because I've never gone through what he's going through," said Hamilton when asked if he could comprehend how Piquet feels.

"But he's still very young, he's experienced and he'll take it in his stride."

Hamilton also said that he will continue to push 100 per cent for victory despite losing a certain third place by crashing on the last lap of the Italian Grand Prix earlier this month when pressuring Jenson Button.

"It's just part of my character and the way I am," said Hamilton. "Always, in whatever I've done, especially when it's competing, I've had something inside me that I want to win that keeps me going.

"We can't win the world championship, we can only win races, get pole positions and fastest laps now for the rest of the season. Even if you don't win and still know that you gave it your all, it's such a great feeling.

"That's what keeps me going. I don't have any days where I don't want to push."


Whistle-blower key to Renault case
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 08:56 GMT

An unidentified whistle-blower within the Renault Formula 1 team was key for providing the evidence that revealed there had been a conspiracy for Nelson Piquet to deliberately crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Renault's initial investigations that took place around the time of this year's Belgian Grand Prix led it to believe that there were only minor pieces of evidence to suggest the matter was even worth investigating.

However, during interviews that took place with team members, an individual revealed the details of the case.

He stated that Piquet had approached Symonds after qualifying to suggest the idea of a deliberate crash, and that the idea had been worked upon once Symonds mentioned it to Briatore.

The World Motor Sport Council's findings stated: "This version of events was put to Pat Symonds and Flavio Briatore. Mr Symonds did not deny the events. Mr Briatore consistently denied any involvement and did not recall the alleged discussion."

Renault admitted to the FIA that in light of the whistle-blower's evidence it made the decision not to dispute the charges and accept that there had been a conspiracy.

The findings of the WMSC hearing state: "The evidence (gathered by Renault F1 and the FIA) supports the assertion that the whistle-blower is one of the many people employed by Renault F1 (over 700 people) who had nothing to do with the conspiracy... the whistle-blower's actions demonstrate that this conspiracy did not go to the heart of the team, but was restricted to the actions of 2 or 3 people."

Renault stated that it would not identify the whistle-blower because it did not want the individual to "become the subject of press attention."

The FIA requested, however, that it be able to interview the whistle-blower to gather evidence ahead of Monday's hearing.

Interestingly, Piquet stated in a letter from his lawyers to the FIA that he did not propose the crash plan, and instead was first aware of it on Sunday morning when he was summoned to a meeting with Symonds and Briatore.


Renault will stay in F1 despite scandal
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 08:51 GMT

Renault has told the FIA that it will remain in Formula 1, despite the fall-out caused by the Singapore race-fix controversy.

Although there had been widespread suggestions that the matter, which has resulted in a two-year suspended ban from F1, could see the French car manufacturer exit the sport, it has emerged the team informed the governing body this week that it was keen to remain in the world championship.

In a statement it submitted to the FIA at Monday's World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris, Renault stated: "Renault F1 and its parent company have given serious consideration as to whether it should remain in the sport following the prejudice caused to its corporate image by the conspiracy, in addition to the existing background of financial pressures that have caused car manufacturers to withdraw.

"But it has concluded that it would like to remain in Formula 1 and continue to make an important contribution to the sport."

Renault also promised to introduce a new team structure in light of the events of last year's Singapore Grand Prix to ensure there can never be a repeat of what occurred. Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds - who both face bans from involvement in F1 - have also resigned from the team.

The Enstone-based outfit admitted to the conspiracy - and stated it could never have believed its staff would have acted in such a manner. Its statement came after internal investigations within the team revealed that there had been a conspiracy for Nelson Piquet to deliberately crash in last year's Singapore event.

"Renault F1 had no reason to believe that the conspirators were capable of this kind of behaviour. Clearly the conspirators acted against the interests of Renault F1 and the sport generally," said the statement.

"If they had applied their minds to their actions, they could not have thought that their actions benefited Renault F1. The acts of the conspirators were so outside what they were employed to do and so contrary to Renault F1's interests, they ought not to be attributed to Renault F1. This is truly a case where the conspirators were on a frolic of their own."

It added: "Renault F1 will introduce a new structure within the team and will review its internal procedures in an effort to ensure that this type of incident will never happen again."
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 15:27  
F1 Routinier

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 10:50
Posts: 3936
Country: Belgium (be)
Piquet may seek race drive in America
Spoiler:
By Motorsport.com/GMM

Crash-gate conspirator Nelson Piquet Jr has revealed that he may seek a race drive across the Atlantic ocean for the 2010 season.

The 23-year-old Brazilian, who was not punished for his actions in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix due to his whistleblower immunity granted by the FIA, has indicated he intends to return to Formula One next year.

"I am aware that because of this (scandal) it will be difficult," Piquet said during an interview with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"Some people will be afraid that the same thing will happen. But this was an unique case and I have learned from it.

"If I can't find a place in F1, perhaps for one year I will go to America and try to do a good job there until the waves have calmed down a bit.

"I was there in August for a week and spoke with some teams," he revealed.
Code:
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=346322&FS=F1
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 18:11  
F1 Routinier

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 10:50
Posts: 3936
Country: Belgium (be)
Bell to be Renault boss for rest of '09
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 18:01 GMT

Renault has appointed Bob Bell as its new stand-in team principal in the wake of the departure of Flavio Briatore for his involvement in the Singapore Grand Prix race-fix controversy.

Bell, who was the team's technical director, will take charge in the temporary restructure that will remain in place until the end of the season. He will also be the outfit's chief technical officer.

As part of the reshuffle forced about by the events of recent weeks, Jean-François Caubet, currently director of marketing and communications, will become the team's managing director.

A statement issued by Renault said about Bell and Caubet: "They will both report to Bernard Rey, President of the Renault F1 Team.

"Bob Bell will attend all the remaining races of the season and will be the team's spokesperson on all sporting and technical matters.

"The Renault F1 Team is now ready to concentrate on the future and wishes to stress that no further comments or statements will be issued relating to the events of Singapore 2008."
Code:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78807


I'm happy about renault's choice
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 13:12  
F1 Driver
User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2008, 18:44
Posts: 2010
Kubica surprised by Piquet immunity

Spoiler:
Quote:
By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde

Thursday, September 24th 2009, 10:11


BMW Sauber driver Robert Kubica admits he was surprised Nelson Piquet was given immunity by the FIA in the race-fixing scandal.

"Yeah, normally if you go the police and you say you killed someone but you know someone else who killed three people, you will still go to jail," Kubica told reporters in Singapore.

"Maybe you will not have 100 per cent penalty, but you will still have problems. As I said, it's complex."


Full story here...

_________________
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 13:21  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 25 Jun 2008, 11:26
Posts: 5115
Location: Inaccessible Island
Country: Australia (au)
Robert Kubica wrote:
Yeah, normally if you go the police and you say you killed someone but you know someone else who killed three people, you will still go to jail.

Agreed 110%. Piquet should have gotten some form of FIA punishment.
Spoiler:
Maybe an hour in Max's chamber :p :80:

_________________
Image
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 15:55  
F1 Routinier

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 10:50
Posts: 3936
Country: Belgium (be)
Ecclestone: Briatore ban too harsh
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Thursday, September 24th 2009, 08:11 GMT

Bernie Ecclestone thinks Flavio Briatore's lifetime motorsport ban for race fixing was too harsh - but believes the former Renault team principal could have avoided it by owning up to what happened.

Just days after the FIA announced that Briatore would be banned for an indefinite period from any involvement in FIA-sanctioned series for his part in the Singapore Grand Prix race fix, Ecclestone spoke out against the severity of the punishment.

Speaking during a media event with F1 partner LG Electronics in Singapore, Ecclestone said he believed it correct that Renault were given a two-year suspended ban, but that the punishment for Briatore went too far.

"If you look at it sensibly, the people at the top had not the slightest idea," said Ecclestone. "The people in the Renault F1 team had not the slightest idea.

"There were three people who knew what was going on and that is it. No one else was involved. Those people have been dealt with – in my view quite harshly in [regards to] Flavio. I don't think it was necessary, but I was on the commission so I am probably just as guilty as anyone else. On reflection it wasn't necessary."

He added: "It was too much. Definitely too much."

However, Ecclestone suggests that Briatore could have avoided such a draconian penalty if he had owned up to his involvement in the plot – as Renault's former director of engineering Pat Symonds did prior to being handed a five-year motorsport ban.

"Firstly he [Flavio] was invited to appear [in front of the World Motor Sport Council] and his lawyers wrote and said the FIA have no jurisdiction as far as he is concerned, which was probably right.

"But it was not the right thing to say. It would have been just as easy to go – to say: 'I was caught with my hand in the till, it seemed a good idea at the time, and I am sorry.' There is an organisation that works very, very well on that idea – where the people go to a box and confess..."

He added: "Honestly, I am a friend of Flavio's. He has just handled the whole thing badly. He could have handled it in a completely different way, and they would have said, ‘you were a naughty boy' and that would have been the end of it."

Ecclestone also suggests that Briatore would be wise to avoid taking the matter to civil court if he is unhappy with the punishment.

"It would be stupid of Flavio to do that. He should ask to be heard by the court of appeal," he said. "He should appeal to the FIA. If he goes to a civil court I don't think he would win. Because the FIA would have to defend and somebody will say that he sent a young guy out to what could have been to his death. So it wouldn't go down too well."

Ecclestone also revealed that his friendship with Briatore had been strained by the events of recent days.

When asked for his opinion on how Briatore was handling what had happened, Ecclestone said: "He's not talking to me, I don't know. He thinks I should have defended him, which I couldn't."
Code:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78809
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - *Briatore, Symonds leave*
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 17:26  
Co-Admin
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Posts: 4153
Location: Bombay
Country: India (in)
Kudos to Robert Kubica atleast is not numb like other sports persons :cool:

Quote:
Firstly he [Flavio] was invited to appear [in front of the World Motor Sport Council] and his lawyers wrote and said the FIA have no jurisdiction as far as he is concerned, which was probably right.

Didn't knew this ..what stupid thing to do :rofl:

_________________
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - ING pull out
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 18:57  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
ING Terminate Renault deal

Quote:
Renault's title sponsor ING late on Thursday said it has terminated its contract with the French team "with immediate effect".

Mere hours after Spanish insurance backer Mutua Madrilena pulled its logos from the R29 for the same reason, the Dutch bank ING said it has also decided to end its association with Renault because of the crashgate scandal.

It is believed that both sponsors cite a clear and serious breach of contract, due to clauses requiring the Enstone based team to comply with FIA rules and regulations.

"ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship," a media statement issued late on Thursday read.

The statement went out to the world's media in the dead of the Singapore night, after team mechanics had throughout Thursday worked on the fully ING-branded cars in the pits of the Asian city-state's street circuit.

All team equipment as well as personnel and driver apparel also carried prominent ING branding as per usual on Thursday, the day before official practice for the weekend's Singapore Grand Prix begins.

Like Mutua Madrilena, ING had previously decided not to stay in Formula One beyond 2009.


Right now, in the middle of Belgium, a 13 year old called Tom just exploded

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Renault Race Fixing - ING pull out
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 19:14  
GP2 Driver
User avatar

Joined: 01 Jul 2008, 20:47
Posts: 308
Location: York, UK
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
phil1993 wrote:
ING Terminate Renault deal

Quote:
Renault's title sponsor ING late on Thursday said it has terminated its contract with the French team "with immediate effect".

Mere hours after Spanish insurance backer Mutua Madrilena pulled its logos from the R29 for the same reason, the Dutch bank ING said it has also decided to end its association with Renault because of the crashgate scandal.

It is believed that both sponsors cite a clear and serious breach of contract, due to clauses requiring the Enstone based team to comply with FIA rules and regulations.

"ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship," a media statement issued late on Thursday read.

The statement went out to the world's media in the dead of the Singapore night, after team mechanics had throughout Thursday worked on the fully ING-branded cars in the pits of the Asian city-state's street circuit.

All team equipment as well as personnel and driver apparel also carried prominent ING branding as per usual on Thursday, the day before official practice for the weekend's Singapore Grand Prix begins.

Like Mutua Madrilena, ING had previously decided not to stay in Formula One beyond 2009.


Right now, in the middle of Belgium, a 13 year old called Tom just exploded


This is bad news, but not terrible news. ING were leaving Renault anyway, the team were looking for a new title sponsor regardless of this news. So obviously the news is bad, but it's just a consequence of the race fixing, and that has been spoken about enough already.

_________________
Image
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:  
cron

F1Zone.net is proudly powered by phpBB