It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 11:05

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?
Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52
Fernando Alonso 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Luca Badoer 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Mirko Bortolotti 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Sebastien Bourdais 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Marc Gene 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Davide Rigon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: Felipe Massa Injury
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:29  
F1 Driver

Phil is right, tofay´s helmets are great. With a helmet from the early 90´s he would have been dead instantly. The helmet structure was still intact, Senna´s and Ratzenberger´s helmets were actually completely destroyed.

So big improvements over the years.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:33  
kart driver

Just a technical point about this poll. We really shouldn't vote until we know that Massa is ok.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:34  
F1 Driver

i cant even imagine what state their helmets were in so yes there have been massive improvements. they are great, many more people would have been injured or even died without them. so yeah you guys are right. i was just annoyed. sorry people, sorry helmets... :(

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:42  
F1 Champion

JA twitter: Massa's doctor reporting to Brazilian media that brain scan is clear and signs are positive. Family is en route to Hungary now

*sighs of relief*

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:44  
F1 Legend

Jamesallenonf1#f1 Massa's doctor reporting to Brazilian media that brain scan is clear and signs are positive. Family is en route to Hungary now
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:45  
F1 Driver

No helmet can save you from being hit by a wheel or by suspension parts, the force of an 800g object hitting you at around 150mph is massive. Forget racing, lets hope he lives. This is the worst injury sustained in a car by a driver since 94, much worse than Schumi's broken legs or Ralf's crash at Indy. Worrying times...
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:45  
F1 Routinier

I certainly hope the guy is ok and that he pulls through this. I don't want to see this turn into something worse and potentially end his career, because he still has the capability to be champion someday, and we all saw last year.

Ferrariman60
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:51  
F1 Driver

Ferrariman60 wrote:
I certainly hope the guy is ok and that he pulls through this. I don't want to see this turn into something worse and potentially end his career, because he still has the capability to be champion someday, and we all saw last year.

well said. lets just hope he has no lasting damage and hopefully he will still have the confidence to race again because this will have shook him up big style.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 20:56  
F1 Legend

The latest from the track on Massa - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/
Quote:
Felipe Massa has been operated on this evening and is now in an induced coma in the AEK Hospital in Budapest.

An inaccurate report from AP this evening suggested that his condition was life threatening but this is not the case. The operation was successful and he is likely to be woken tomorrow.

Medical estimates of how long he will be out of action vary from two months, to longer. It has been suggested by one doctor here that he may miss the rest of the season. More will be known when the medically induced coma ends and the medics can assess the amount of bruising to the front of the brain.

The 28 year old was hit in the head by a spring which had fallen from the rear suspension of Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn car. He was on a lap heading back to the pits and was four seconds behind Barrichello on the road, when the spring became detached. It bounced down the road for four seconds and hit Massa in the head. He was briefly knocked unconscious and his feet went onto the brake and throttle simultaneously.

The data says that he applied 60bar of pressure to the brake, which is the equivalent of laying his foot on it gently, while the throttle was effectively jammed on.

Ross Brawn tonight explained that the spring was from the third damper and is made of steel and weighs around a kilogramme.

“The damper is still attached but the cap had come off and the spring escaped,” said Brawn. “I don’t know the full details but it was a freak accident.”

Brawn replaced the spring on Jenson Button’s car just in case, but Brawn said that this did not affect the balance of the car for Button’s final qualifying run.

He said that he had never experienced a spring detaching itself in all his years in F1 engineering. He added that he thought that the work done on making helmets safer had been ‘essential’ in this situation.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 21:07  
F1 Legend

Badoer : No
Gene : No
schumacher : ??
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 21:43  
F1 Driver

iceman1 wrote:

lauda :blink: :O

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 21:51  
car driver

AzShadow wrote:
Maybe you should start putting sources to these unconfirmed reports.

Penalty for Brawn sounds quite silly as finding a scapegoat isn't the most important thing right now.

It's different when they know they had a problem with the rear suspension, and the driver even confirmed as much.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77281

Q. Can you tell us what happened with your rear suspension in that session?

Rubens Barrichello: I lost the whole central damper of the car. The car this morning had a lot of fuel and it felt quite good. This afternoon it felt a bit strange, vertically the car was moving a bit. And we suspected since the beginning of qualifying that it was starting to go. Eventually it went completely on that lap, because I had a lap of traffic which I had to abort and that lap, as soon as I braked for Turn 1, it was very, very bad. I still did an okay time through sector one, but when I went into Turn 3 I felt the rear collapse.

I had no control over the rear suspension; it was like it was solid. It was then that I radioed and said I was coming in. It felt like I lost a big chunk of ride height because the car was touching the ground, and on the TV from the videos it looks like that was what went into Felipe's head. The whole thing just went bang.

Q. Did the thing break or did it just come undone?

RB: No, it broke.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 06:09  
Co-Admin

iceman1 wrote:

NO.

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 06:27  

swca92 wrote:
No helmet can save you from being hit by a wheel or by suspension parts, the force of an 800g object hitting you at around 150mph is massive. Forget racing, lets hope he lives. This is the worst injury sustained in a car by a driver since 94, much worse than Schumi's broken legs or Ralf's crash at Indy. Worrying times...

No, the worst crash since Hakkinen in 1995. Not good. I said at the start of the year we'd be lucky not to have a serious accident with an injury and I was right, although this could have happened with 2008-spec cars as well

Quote:
Massa has some brain damage but medicals can't determine how much damage until tomorrow, when he will wake up from the induced coma. Now that's what worries the most.

Maybe Mirko Bortolloti could replace him? He set the FL at Fiorano in the F2008

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2009, 07:06  
F1 Routinier

No news about his condition. I'm praying for him...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next