Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Badoer to race until Massa returns

Post by JoostLamers » 25 Aug 2009, 10:10

shail69 wrote:I dont know why people are talking about Ferrari replacement. Badoer said it was just his test session and he just had to drive as much as he could. I am pretty sure he wasent even near his limit. Belgium will show a different Badoer...

Yeah; 2 seconds of the pace instead of 3s off
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 25 Aug 2009, 13:03

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 25 Aug 2009, 13:18

I heard on the speed tv transmission that apparently rob smedley and felipe massa had been texting each other inumerous times throu the whole weekend. i wonder how that went.

Rob: feli baby luca just put ur earpeice in his mouth 2, see ya soon xoxo
felipe: rob dont tell where he put the mouthpeice!! damnit i bet this was my race! xxxx

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 25 Aug 2009, 13:20

Was bored so I took some pics from the YouTube videos. The first two are from the interview(few weeks back) and the last 2 are form sunday; you can see the improvement from when the interview was, and from yesterday afternoon after the race:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 25 Aug 2009, 22:06

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari are interested in Jules Bianchi a Frenchman who is dominating the Euro F3 series

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Formula One Drivers Slam Badoer, Some Say He Could Be A 'Saf

Post by shailf1 » 26 Aug 2009, 08:56

Formula One Drivers Slam Badoer, Some Say He Could Be A 'Safety Issue

After the 38-year-old Italian struggled so badly at Valencia last weekend, even the Maranello team had to admit it may need to make other plans if he doesn't make a big step forward in Belgium.

Spoiler:
Williams test driver Nico Hulkenberg, who is leading the GP2 championship and managed by Michael Schumacher's long-time agent Willi Weber, has been mentioned as a candidate.

"Nico would actually be the logical solution," Weber is quoted as saying by Bild newspaper.

Another driver keen on the drive is Sebastien Bourdais, recently ousted by Toro Rosso but still managed by former Ferrari boss Jean Todt's son Nicolas, who also handles the career of the injured Felipe Massa.

"It's up to Ferrari," the Frenchman told French radio RMC, but he agrees that the famous team will be looking at its options if Badoer continues to struggle.

"Unfortunately for me there are many other applicants waiting at the door," Bourdais acknowledged. "Nicolas has spoken about me with the management of Ferrari but my name is not at the top of the list."

According to the German broadcaster RTL, triple world champion Niki Lauda has another suggestion for Ferrari: "If I was them I would just race with one car. At least that would save money," he said.

The widespread view as formula one departed Valencia is that Ferrari cannot keep Badoer in the F60 if he doesn't get up to speed immediately.

"If I lost two or three seconds every lap I would be staying at home," Robert Kubica is quoted as saying by Spain's AS newspaper.

Force India's Adrian Sutil told the German publication Focus: "If Badoer is as slow at Spa as he was here (at Valencia) then it is a safety issue."

Nico Rosberg couldn't believe how slowly the former Minardi driver was lapping on the Spanish street circuit. "Two and a half seconds is impossible.

"I was that far behind Montoya the first time I ever sat in a formula one car, and I was 17!"

David Coulthard however believes that with Massa out for now, it's not a huge issue who is at the wheel of the second red car.

"They are already looking to 2010 so the rest of this season is pretty much about testing. Who better to report back to the engineers than your regular test driver?" the Scot wrote in a column for the Daily Telegraph.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 26 Aug 2009, 09:01

Hulkenberg is under contract with williams ... doesn't that make things a lot more difficult to let him drive for another team ?

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Aug 2009, 09:25

Brilliant comments by Kubica, Sutil and Rosberg :lol:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 26 Aug 2009, 09:30

joostlamers wrote:Brilliant comments by Kubica, Sutil and Rosberg :lol:

Especially Sutil. He now really needs to watch out to not be taken out by a ferrari again :lol:

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Aug 2009, 12:58

Bortolotti linked with Ferrari
Spoiler:
Formula Two race winner Mirko Bortolotti continues to be linked with the second race seat at the Ferrari F1 team in the absence of the injured Felipe Massa.

The role is currently occupied by long-term Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer, who drove for the team last time out in Valencia (22/23 August) and will keep his position for the next round at Spa-Francorchamps. Speculation is rife, however, that Badoer may be replaced after Spa and Bortolotti is being touted as a possible candidate for the drive.

The 19-year-old Italian has previous form with Ferrari, having reportedly impressed Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo in a test for the Scuderia - which was awarded to the top three finishers in the Italian F3 Championship - at the end of 2008. Bortolotti set an unofficial lap record of 59.111s around Fiorano, bettering both his F3 rivals by more than a second on the day, and eclipsing previous efforts during the season by Kimi Räikkönen, Luca Badoer and Marc Gene.

Speaking after the test, Ferrari's Sporting Director Luca Baldisseri remarked: "These boys have astonished and surprised me. The extraordinary thing is that they didn't make even one mistake, they were immediately very quick and showed they have enormous potential."

Bortolotti's superb season in Italian F3 led to him being snapped up by the Red Bull Junior Team at the beginning of 2009. He was placed in Formula Two for the year, and secured his maiden victory in the third race of the season in Brno, Czech Republic, back in June. He has scored two further podiums, in Valencia and at Donington Park, and currently lies sixth in the overall standings.

For now though, the Italian insists his focus is on Formula Two, and he refuses to be drawn into the speculation surrounding his future. "All I can say is that I'm racing in F2 and I'm not thinking about anything other than the championship. I want to be higher than sixth, so I have to work hard and apply myself 100%. There is still enough time to improve, so if I can get the best possible results hopefully I can move up the order again.

"There has been quite a lot of speculation in Italy surrounding the Ferrari seat. To be honest I think Luca (Badoer) just needs a bit more time to get a feeling for the car. Everything has changed since he last raced, but I'm sure he will be quicker at Spa as the pace is there in the car. As for me, I'm just focusing on Formula Two. It's nice to be linked with the team, but my mentality is just to do a good job in Formula Two for the remaining three rounds - after that, I'll start thinking about my future."

Code: Select all

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/08/26/f2-driver-bortolotti-linked-with-ferrari/

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Aug 2009, 13:01

IMO he's the best option: yes there's Gene, I'd love Davidson in there, but Mirko is the best young Italian coming through the ranks of motorsport

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 26 Aug 2009, 13:24

i think Bortolotti is good option; He has very smartly commented on Luca's pace in Valencia. From what he said i think he is very much dedicated to F2.

If he gets a drive then F2 will gain the credibility of F1 feeder :zz: Max - 1 Bernie - 5 (-1) :lol:

Bruno Senna .. no interest ?
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 26 Aug 2009, 14:13

i think they need to give a chance to Gene or try to get one of the rival team F1 drivers to take over. otherwise i do not see any other reasonable option if Ferrari truly want to remain 3rd in the constructors (which i very much doubt)

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 27 Aug 2009, 16:15

Ferrari have never called, says Fisichella
Giancarlo Fisichella has explained that, despite much speculation, he has not been in touch with Ferrari with regards to being a driver for the Italian team ahead of its home Grand Prix next month. Despite admitting that the opportunity would be a dream, the Roman states that the prospect is currently no more than that.

With Luca Badoer currently standing in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari, the test driver's performance was generally regarded as below par in Valencia last weekend as a Ferrari qualified slowest on merit for the first time in Formula One history before finishing last, a lap down, in Sunday's race.

"There is quite a lot of speculation on that," Fisichella told Autosport of his apparent links with the Scuderia. "I think there are a lot of rumours, and I have seen my name on the top of the list everywhere, but Ferrari didn't call me so for me it's nothing; if they had called me I could say something more but I have not contacted them - I'm a Force India driver, it's as simple as that."

The Badoer mishaps continued when arriving in the Spa paddock on Thursday as the Italian battled his way through security at the paddock entrance after losing his access card. Was Fisichella taken aback by the on-track showing in Spain?

"I thought Luca was able to do much better than that, even though he hasn't driven in the last few months, but he was struggling quite a lot," Giancarlo replied. "Obviously there was a lot of pressure for him with the new circuit and everything; probably here is going to be better but he needs to have a big improvement compared to the last race."

Fisichella is currently managed by Enrico Zanarini, a former manager of Eddie Irvine; could his contacts from the Irishman's time at Ferrari be of any assistance to a possible drive for his current driver? "He has a lot of friends," Fisichella added. "I have a lot of friends too. Stefano (Domenicali, Team Principal) and even the President (Luca di Montezemolo), but nobody has asked anything about my contract or about my possibility to race in the future, like for Monza or whatever - so far nothing has happened. I would be happy to have the opportunity."

Code: Select all

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/08/27/ferrari-have-never-called-says-fisichella/

impatientinventor
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by impatientinventor » 27 Aug 2009, 18:44

Massa looks pretty good... Any muscle damage like Schui's that might prevent him from getting back into the car in the next month or so?