Donington to host 2010 British Grand Prix!

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
F1Zone93
kart driver
kart driver

Donington to host 2010 British Grand Prix!

Post by F1Zone93 » 04 Jul 2008, 11:05

The British Grand Prix is set to make a dramatic switch to Donington Park from 2010, the FIA has announced.

Rumours about a possible Donington bid for the race had circulated in recent weeks amid the continuing uncertainty over Silverstone's future as a Formula 1 venue, but this morning's announcement that a 2010 deal had been secured came as a massive shock.

“Finally the uncertainty is over," said Bernie Ecclestone.

"A contract has been signed with Donington Park and the future of the British Grand Prix is now secure.

“We wanted a world class venue for Formula One in Britain, something that the teams and British F1 fans could be proud of.

"The major development plans for Donington will give us exactly that: a venue that will put British motor sport back on the map.”

The 2.5-mile Leicestershire circuit will require substantial redevelopment to bring it up to F1 standards.

Although Donington hosted the infamous 1993 European Grand Prix and is still the venue for the British round of the MotoGP world championship, its facilities are not on a par with modern F1 tracks and it has been criticised by the MotoGP fraternity in recent years.

Silverstone held the first world championship F1 race in 1950 and has been the sole home of the British GP since 1987, having previously alternated with Brands Hatch and Aintree.

But its future has been in question for over a decade, amid regular criticism of its facilities from Ecclestone, and turbulent negotiations between his Formula One Management organisation and Silverstone's owner the British Racing Drivers' Club.

“After many years of patient but fruitless negotiation with the BRDC, we are delighted that Bernie has nevertheless been able to ensure that the British Grand Prix will keep its place on the Formula 1 world championship calendar," said FIA president Max Mosley.

“We understand that the development programme planned for Donington will achieve the very high standards we and F~0~M expect from a modern F1 circuit.

"Finally, British Formula 1 fans will get the grand prix venue they deserve."

Silverstone had recently received planning permission to proceed with a huge redevelopment programme that it believed would bring its facilities up to the standard that Ecclestone demanded.

But its future had also depended on finding sufficient outside backing, and Ecclestone was critical of the British government for not providing Silverstone with this support.

“I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run Formula 1," he said.

"I believe that the government should have supported them, which would have cost probably less than .002 percent of the government’s commitment for the Olympic Games.”

It is believed that the Donington revamp will be carried out using private financial backing.

by ITV sport

What is your opinion about this??

AzShadow

Re: Donington to host 2010 British Grand Prix!

Post by AzShadow » 04 Jul 2008, 11:22

Wow, I guess Ecclestone was serious about Silverstone after all. :tired:

For me it's just the same where they drive it.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 04 Jul 2008, 11:28

I love Donni. It's an excellent track, and I can't wait to see the field negotiate the Craner Curves. I hope they make the Grand Prix section better though. That's the only bad bit.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 04 Jul 2008, 12:40

I think both the tracks are very good but silverstone having an emotional attachment being the first used since 1950.But in the end Bernie decided to put the axe down on silverstone rather than albert pack in melbourne australia.He wanted to show the world his authority on F1 & silverstone paid the price for it.Even after the australian gp shifting to a later time in the day I dont think it would make much time difference for the european viewers.Bernie has only considered the money factor here.

Liffonmelsmork
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Liffonmelsmork » 04 Jul 2008, 12:44

I don't mean to be negative, but I'm not convinced. I love Donington too, but for F1 to go there, it'll have to change beyond all recognition. They'll have to completely re-do the track, probably getting Hermann "Boring" Tilke to design it. Think Bahrain without the sand! I'm confident if they have a good think about it, though, they could keep as close to the current layout as possible and keep the soul of the circuit.

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 04 Jul 2008, 12:44

No place to overtake there, I prefer Silverstone :tired:

Schumfs
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Schumfs » 04 Jul 2008, 13:35

The future of the British Grand Prix has today been secured in a new ten year agreement between Donington Ventures Leisure Limited and Formula One Management Limited.

The 2010 British Grand Prix at Donington Park will see the pinnacle of motor racing return to the iconic East Midlands circuit after a 17-year absence when it last hosted the Grand Prix of Europe in 1993.
SOURCE:www.f1-live.com
Although the only time that I have seen this track was on the BTCC races, I remember that this track is fairly in a better shape than Silverstone.
We had many incredible moments in Silverstone and its history is great but everything has end :D
I am pleased when new circuits join the calendar of F1. And I am now too... :D
Racing... Because football, basketball, volleyball... Requires ONE ball!!!

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 04 Jul 2008, 13:48

Well Donington must have an amazing plan for the future,as for the moment these are its problems:The track is not long or wide enough,and has no real overtaking places.Outside of the track,the pits and paddock aren't big enough,and the facilities overall are fairly ramshackle.At the Moto GP race it took fans several hours to get out of the car park.And we're leaving a track with history,a great track and improving facilities that will be F1 standard.Bernie must know something we don't

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 04 Jul 2008, 15:31

I echo the previously aired comments. The track isn't long enough, isn't wide enough, and has no overtaking! What is Bernie thinking when he moves the race to Donington? All Bernie is doing is trying to settle a score with the BRDC because he doesn't like them. Silverstone is the best place for the race!

Liffonmelsmork
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Liffonmelsmork » 04 Jul 2008, 15:54

Bernie could himself put money towards any improvements he thinks Silverstone needs. Myself, I can't see why he hates it so much, as people have said before. I think it's safe to say most of us fans who've been there have had great experiences. Silverstone's been improving for years, and he expects Donington to be able to create a world-class venue in such a small amount of time? I don't get it. If the track can't get sorted in time, there'll be no British Grand Prix.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Jul 2008, 18:44

well, i went to Silverstone for the first time and then they're moving it to Donington! I have to say they must make the lap longer and the track wider for it to continue in 2011. Bad move I think Bernie.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 04 Jul 2008, 19:26

I really doubt Donington will be ready in time, even if they start digging it up now, it won’t be ready for 2010.
Donington will have to pour loads of money in improving the circuit, got to have a new pit complex, and grand stand seating for fans.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Jul 2008, 19:29

Donington has a new pit complex already - i think thats the only reason he [Bernie] went there. Silverstone will be back in 2011 i reckon. its so stupid of the fia to announce the news today of all days

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 04 Jul 2008, 19:36

I’m sad to see The British GP going away from Silverstone. It’s a cracking circuit and it’s the place where modern Formula 1 began in 1950.

Schumfs
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Schumfs » 04 Jul 2008, 23:13

It happened again with the Turkish GP. Many people thought that Turks couldnt complete the circuit in time but they did it.
And we are speaking about British here.
In other terms, I dont think they will change the shape of Donington circuit.
Monte Carlo isnt wide enough too and they race over there for 50 years.
The new Singapore circuit isnt wide enough also.
Maybe Bernie aims for something else or he knows something better than us as the other fella said. ;)
Lets wait to see :P
Racing... Because football, basketball, volleyball... Requires ONE ball!!!