Unfulfilled Breakaway Series Idea and FOTA-FIA War

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Breakaway Series to be Launched by FOTA

Post by Sanredrose » 19 Jun 2009, 18:09

I think FOTA 8 teams have made a strong decision. The breakaway series might never happen, but they can use this to get rid of Max Mosley & Bernie Eccelstone.

Max Mosley has been playing a tough hand till now and he needs to be kicked out & Bernie's policy of moving races to new location simply because they can fill his pockets should also be stopped. If both of these old hogs are kicked out F1 would automatically become more fan friendly. They should be replaced with Jean Todt & Ron Dennis, who have worked with F1 for quite a long time and mainly they care for racing & fans !!

Now how about this ??? Credits - Planet-f1.com

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 19 Jun 2009, 18:22

Todt and Dennis? Todt is a hateful little guy who got the nickname "Napolean" from people in the paddock. And being named after a ruthless miltary figure isn't complementary. Dennis has all the charisma and excitement of a wellington boot. Neither would be unbiased, and neither would care about what F1 fans want. Mosley's right hand man (called Tony Purnell) used to run Jaguar when Webber drove for them and wrote very well about F1 in I think F1 Racing magazine, came up with some good ideas. He'll probably be the man when Max packs it in.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 19 Jun 2009, 18:40

swca92 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 109971.stm

Very revealing interview with Max Mosley, afraid its for UK users only. If you can see it I'd strongly advise you to do so.
Max Mosley (in summary and paraphrased)
"Teams would like to apply their own cost reduction method but it doesn't include any solid figure which is not acceptable."
"Briatore wants to be Bernie."
"Teams want Formula 1 as it is. They want to takeover regulatory duty from us and financial rights from Bernie. It's all about power."
"We have very clear legal advice and we are very confident."
"Everything is in place. Rules are there from April 29 onwards. Teams are building their car and there is no uncertainity."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 19 Jun 2009, 18:56

Ali he doesn't say that in this interview, he says that the FOTA breakaway is all talk and no substance, and that the teams want to control the money and the regulations. He also references 1981, when he and Bernie fought against FISA. The main thing is that he said "I have absolute confidence we'll have all the teams on the grid for 2010" and "I expect 1, 2 maybe 3 teams to leave F1"

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 19 Jun 2009, 19:01

swca92 wrote:Ali he doesn't say that in this interview, he says that the FOTA breakaway is all talk and no substance, and that the teams want to control the money and the regulations. He also references 1981, when he and Bernie fought against FISA. The main thing is that he said "I have absolute confidence we'll have all the teams on the grid for 2010" and "I expect 1, 2 maybe 3 teams to leave F1"
Then, we didn't watch the same video. I picked what seems to be important for me dude. All other he said was just empty talk.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 19 Jun 2009, 19:24

swca92 wrote:He said nothing about Briatore, and mentioned nothing about rules being in place. We've seen different interviews...
Apparantly you really missed those parts or BBC cut it. I watched a Q & A session lasting 18mins in a cold room, Jake asking Mosley answering.

And in this interview, on 11.50, while explaining the power issue in Formula, he says "one of two people sees himself as Bernie." When Jack forces him to name it, then Mosley -while grinning a bit- says he's Briatore. It's a nice piece :p

And the rules. It's the end of interview.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 19 Jun 2009, 19:43

I watched the 18 mins one too and heard the Briatore Bernie thing. Mosley just keeps talking about the old Concorde and how they could put it back. But the teams want more and have wanted for a while already. The problem is that 50% revenue still goes to Bernie's endless vault and not to help to make F1 better or to reward teams and the track owners.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 19 Jun 2009, 19:53

From the press conference:

Ross Brawn: "The manufacturers bring a huge amount into this industry, they bring a huge amount of investment, they bring a huge amount of employment, people, so manufacturers bring in an awful lot to Formula One and we’ve got to be careful not to destroy that and not to shut that out completely. It can’t be left unharnessed, we all know that but the door shouldn’t shut completely on the input that manufacturers make. It’s the investment of Mercedes-Benz that gives me an eight million Euro engine, five million Euros next year. It’s the investment of Toyota that’s giving Adam an engine at a price that is incredible. Leasing a Ferrari engine a couple of years ago was 25m Euros. We survive because of the manufacturers. They absorb the research costs, they absorb the development costs and they give us an engine – not a subsidy but an engine that is provided on a cost-plus basis and they are not taking any profits out of it, they’re just doing it as a service to independent teams. So we have to find that balance between what Formula One can offer for manufacturers and what it can offer for independents. We can’t go too far in shutting out the manufacturers because it will be to the detriment of the sport."

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 19 Jun 2009, 22:22

My circuit reacts on this breaking news
Spoiler:
The boss of the German F1 venue Nurburgring on Friday said he was dismayed at the news that the world of Grand Prix racing could split in two.

If Friday's last-gasp meetings at Silverstone do not end the standoff with the FIA, eight existing Formula One teams have said they will organise a rival series.

"In the case of a split there are only losers," Nurburgring Managing Director Walter Kafitz told the German news agency SID.

"What happened in America is the best example. It is bad for motorsport. I only hope now for reason. Formula one has stood at the abyss before and nothing happened. There is still much water to flow down the Rhine,” Kafitz continued.

The Nurburgring will host the 2009 German Grand Prix next month, and is contracted to stage another Formula One race in 2011.

Kafitz said he is unsure if the promotion contract with Bernie Ecclestone forbids the Nurburgring also negotiating for a round of the breakaway series.

"That is a legal question that I have not looked into yet," he answered.

Code: Select all

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090619143959.shtml
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

impatientinventor
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by impatientinventor » 19 Jun 2009, 22:37

I don't see how Bernie could ever honestly think that he would have the ability to tell a venue who they can and can't host on the other weekends of the year... O' yea he can and has... And just like his track in Turkey everyone gave him the finger, left him the bill and now he has total control of over a billion in debt, contractual obligations of over two billion, and no one to boss around. I hope he dies a horribly painful drawn out death as a bankrupt homeless man.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 19 Jun 2009, 23:16

Clearly no-one thinks about the fans in this situation. What do we follow? FOTA or F1? Which TV channels will they be on? Surely not the same ones and surely not all on free ones? This will make it harder and more complicated to follow either, and make it more ridiculous and more empty for F1 teams and their fans to support them. It's natural that a rivalry will be created between them, like Indy and Champ Car, dividing and weakening both series. There should always be one, Formula One.

In the divided series, how the hell can either series expect to gain numbers of competitors equal to before? Currently in F1 next year, I count 5 certain entries, with many of the reserves having pulled out. Will they all need to run three cars each? FOTA may only have 8 teams if it cannot attract more teams to play with the big guns, which is not necessarily an attractive prospect for team owners and sponsors. How either body invisages they can thrive without the other is beyond me. It will split everything more or less in half. My only hope is that its sorted out quickly, and the big, stupid egos envolved see some sense, beyond the power games currently in their eyes.

This is a power game. It's not as if they're even gaining money or anything from it, and it will obviously affect them in the long term. Revolutions and rebellions are fine, as long as they don't put things back into the dark ages, or detriment both of the warring factions. Bernie needs to get his lawyers in there to sort some things out.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 19 Jun 2009, 23:26

Stay with F1!!!!

max and bernie have already started advertising F1.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 20 Jun 2009, 05:14

impatientinventor wrote:I don't see how Bernie could ever honestly think that he would have the ability to tell a venue who they can and can't host on the other weekends of the year... O' yea he can and has... And just like his track in Turkey everyone gave him the finger, left him the bill and now he has total control of over a billion in debt, contractual obligations of over two billion, and no one to boss around. I hope he dies a horribly painful drawn out death as a bankrupt homeless man.
Outside EU he can and he will .. all contracts his contracts have anti-competition clauses &doh
TwistedArmco wrote:Clearly no-one thinks about the fans in this situation. What do we follow? FOTA or F1? Which TV channels will they be on? Surely not the same ones and surely not all on free ones? This will make it harder and more complicated to follow either, and make it more ridiculous and more empty for F1 teams and their fans to support them. It's natural that a rivalry will be created between them, like Indy and Champ Car, dividing and weakening both series. There should always be one, Formula One.

In the divided series, how the hell can either series expect to gain numbers of competitors equal to before? Currently in F1 next year, I count 5 certain entries, with many of the reserves having pulled out. Will they all need to run three cars each? FOTA may only have 8 teams if it cannot attract more teams to play with the big guns, which is not necessarily an attractive prospect for team owners and sponsors. How either body invisages they can thrive without the other is beyond me. It will split everything more or less in half. My only hope is that its sorted out quickly, and the big, stupid egos envolved see some sense, beyond the power games currently in their eyes.

This is a power game. It's not as if they're even gaining money or anything from it, and it will obviously affect them in the long term. Revolutions and rebellions are fine, as long as they don't put things back into the dark ages, or detriment both of the warring factions. Bernie needs to get his lawyers in there to sort some things out.
I dunno you but i m happy certainly FOTA's has finally done it ... Bernie & Mosley always felt like they were 'Godlike' in motor sports. Fia or Mosley used F1 like the tool for ages :<>: They feel F1 is everything :lol: More than regulating they always wanted to RULE it :zz: ...and yes thr is clash of pride and ego here .. mainly between Luca vs Mosley/Bernie. It is no secret all moves by Fia firstly have benefited Bernie ... whole budget cap will increase his $pie even more!

Problem for Fan: I would say only for casual fans( majority though ) ... ppl like us can do thing :n ....FIA's F1 will be dumb without manufacturers anyway! TV coverage and other things will get sorted once FOTA's presents bigger picture. FOTA's proposal has said 'lower price for tickets' bla bla!. Majority of broadcasting contracts can be broken on a clause of depreciation of product value.

Fia/Molsey & Bernie can't hold Ferrari & RBR ... all they can do is installation lap and come in pits or fail scrutiny and race in FOTA's F1 with other name Ferrari => Auto Avio Costruzioni like 1940 :D
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 20 Jun 2009, 05:29

gp1 world series championship > live @ itv :n
Last edited by megasyxx on 20 Jun 2009, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Jun 2009, 05:33

JPM: Split would kill F1
Spoiler:
Juan Pablo Montoya believes a breakaway series would "kill" Formula 1, following FOTA's announcement that it plans to start its own championship in 2010 after failing to reach an agreement with the FIA.

Although the former Williams and McLaren driver believes FOTA starting its own series is a possible scenario, he says that would be the end of F1 as he knows it.

Montoya suggested that the only way forward for FOTA to remain aligned with the FIA would be a change governance in the ruling body.

"Making another series? Yeah - they would kill Formula 1," said Montoya. "If they (FOTA) go, then they would kill Formula 1, but I don't really care. All the manufacturers and everybody is there, you know what I mean?

"I think if they can get Max Mosley out of there, they'd probably stay."

The Colombian believes that all the political battling in Formula 1 can only make other series stronger, as happened in the United States with the Indycar split back in 1996.

He says the current crisis between FOTA and the FIA could end up being beneficial to NASCAR.

"I think if anything it will help NASCAR and bring more attention to NASCAR like when the Indycars split." said Montoya. "If anybody hasn't seen this live then they should come and watch it because it gets really exciting."

Four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Jeff Gordon, who has been a fan of F1 for years, does not see how a split could be good for either FOTA or the FIA, and said he cannot imagine the world championship being run without the traditional outfits.

"I don't see how you have a Formula 1 series without a Ferrari in it," said Gordon. "I can't imagine the series out there without Ferrari or McLaren or Renault.

"They have so few teams as it is now, I would be very, very disappointed to see that happen. I really hope they get it straightened out. I've never seen that work for any sport out there and my fingers are crossed that they're going to get together."