2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2010 Silly Season

Post by megasyxx » 28 May 2009, 16:09

i think prost f1 carried the yahoo! logo before....google would be nice as well :D

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 May 2009, 08:31

No Fuji in 2010?
The Fuji Speedway circuit may give up next year's Japanese Grand Prix due to financial reasons.

Fuji, owned by car maker Toyota, replaced Suzuka as the home of the Japanese race in 2007, but a spokesman for the manufacturer told news agency Reuters that it was considering pulling the plug on the race.

"(Fuji's company) FISCO tell us they are taking various elements into account in their consideration towards hosting next year's Japanese Grand Prix," Toyota's Paul Nolasco said.

Honda's Suzuka circuit hosted the Japanese Grand Prix from 1986 to 2006 and will return to the calendar this season as it alternates hosting the race with Fuji on a yearly basis.

Honda left Formula 1 at the end of last year in order to save costs

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 May 2009, 11:53

Another Brit in F1 2010?
ames Walker admits that he is aiming for a Formula One race seat next season. The Jerseyman, who began his single seater career at the age of eighteen and is currently placed third in the World Series by Renault standings, first came to fruition by winning the scholarship class of the 2003 British Formula Ford championship.

With a full-time racing career beginning in only 2002, Walker started out on the racing map some ten years later in life than the likes of compatriot Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso but is enjoying a competitive season for P1 Motorsport in 2009, claiming a win at Spa in Round 4 followed by a podium place with third at the most recent race in Monaco.

"To be Jersey's first F1 driver would be massive, not just for me but for the whole island," he said to The Sun. "Enthusiasm for motorsport in Jersey is huge, it's an important part of life there; I'm very proud of where I come from and I think the people of Jersey are beginning to realise the potential - I have quite a few potential supporters."

Although Jersey has never yielded an F1 driver, perhaps its most famous F1-related resident to date is Derek Warwick, who now owns a Honda dealership on the isle, off the coast of Normandy. "The plan is that, if I win the championship, I'll jump straight into F1," James continued. "I'm proving now that - if I'm in the right car - I'm quick and I'm going to win; form like that is going to win the championship and that's what F1 teams are looking for."

One of the Englishman's biggest inspirations is Andy Priaulx, fellow Jerseyman and World Touring Car Champion in 2005, 2006 and 2007. "He made me realise people do go out from the Channel Islands and do big things," 25-year-old Walker added. "It's all starting now - the only way is up."

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 03 Jun 2009, 14:21

Haug plays down Rosberg rumours
Spoiler:
Norbert Haug, Mercedes-Benz's F1 boss, has played down reports he is openly hinting at a McLaren seat for German driver Nico Rosberg in 2010.

Rosberg, 23, is out of contract at Williams at the end of the season, as is Lewis Hamilton's current Mercedes-powered team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

Haug was reported in Monaco to have said only a binding contract prevented McLaren from signing Rosberg at the end of 2007, and that he is still ‘on many teams' lists’ for next year.

But on Tuesday the Mercedes Motorsport Vice-President insisted: "At the beginning of June I am not ready to discuss drivers for the following year.

"Perhaps nothing at all will change, but we are not under time pressure and that's all I am going to say publicly," the 56-year-old added.

Code: Select all

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090602145522.shtml
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2009, 20:12

Rumours are that Piquet has been given until the Hungarian Grand Prix next month to prove himself

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 11 Jun 2009, 10:46

Haug building up the pressure on Heikki
Spoiler:
It is up to Heikki Kovalainen to prove he belongs in the McLaren alongside Lewis Hamilton beyond 2009. That is the message given by Norbert Haug, competition chief of the British team's engine partner Mercedes-Benz.

The German has recently been hinting at a change for next year, coinciding with speculation that Williams' Nico Rosberg is a prime candidate.

When asked by Auto Motor und Sport about 27-year-old Kovalainen's seat, Haug answered: "Formula one is a hard competition. Heikki knows that it is all about performance. We are looking at each race finish and at each tenth.”

It is understood that no firm decisions about the future have yet been taken.

On form so far, Kovalainen is usually outpaced by the sister car driven by Hamilton, and he is often accused of making errors at crucial moments, such as within sight of a rare points finish at Monaco.

Haug however said it is too early in the season to be seriously discussing drivers.

"We are concentrating only on making the car faster," he added. "That is the biggest problem."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090611112238.shtml

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 13 Jun 2009, 10:26

Pantano looking for Campos seat
Spoiler:
Reigning GP2 champion Giorgio Pantano says he would be keen to renew his relationship with the Campos team in Formula 1 now that Adrian Campos' organisation has been granted a 2010 entry.

Pantano took Campos to its first GP2 wins and third in the championship in 2007, before winning the title with Racing Engineering last year.

"There is nothing that we can say at the moment, just that we have had a good relationship, myself and [Adrian Campos], and also that we had a great time together," Pantano told AUTOSPORT.

"We've had a good announcement from the FIA and I am happy for him and the people working for him because they are wonderful. Now we'll see if there is a chance for me there."

The Italian is confident that Campos would be a competitive option.

"I think Campos will do a very good job as they have Dallara building the car," Pantano said. "It is good to have another racing manufacturer come in, and Dallara is the best man to do it.

"We'll wait and see what happens, but I think that I won't have to wait a long time to find out what happens for me."

The 30-year-old, who raced in F1 with Jordan for much of 2004, admitted that his age was probably a factor in F1 teams' unwillingness to sign him this year, but he does not think it should be seen as a problem.

"I think you have to be honest. Jenson [Button] is my age, Jenson was racing with me in go-karts, and he is now doing the job," said Pantano.

"[Fernando] Alonso was racing with me, he's just one or two years younger than me. [Sebastien] Bourdais is similar to my age, I think he's one year older. Kimi [Raikkonen] is around my age.

"They are not too old, but I realise that if I am going to do the step and jump into Formula 1 then I need to do it soon. I don't have time to wait. I have enough experience now; I need to do the job soon.

"My dream is Formula 1 or IndyCar, they are the first series that I want to be involved in. I don't want to race in other categories, my focus is on them, and otherwise I'll think about changing my job if there isn't something good. I have to look at my future now."

Having been unable to find an F1 drive for 2009 - making him the first GP2 champion not to graduate straight to the premier category - Pantano is currently racing in the Eurocup Megane Trophy and will join the Superleague Formula when its second season commences later this month.

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 14 Jun 2009, 09:20

Liffonmelsmork wrote:
joostlamers wrote:

There you go, he has already signed a contract in Monaco :zz:

To a guy in a Ferrari shirt! :p
:blink: Keep Bourdais in F1 please

TommyB89
kart driver
kart driver

Post by TommyB89 » 14 Jun 2009, 16:50

Hopefully Rubens will go.

He's taken c**p to a whole new level this year

TommyB89
kart driver
kart driver

Post by TommyB89 » 14 Jun 2009, 16:51

phil1993 wrote:Rumours are that Piquet has been given until the Hungarian Grand Prix next month to prove himself
They say he's got until a certain race... still does c**p.

He isn't good enough for F1. Romain should get the drive

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Jun 2009, 11:41

A woman in F1? And it isn't Danica...
Spoiler:
Formula 2 racer Natacha Gachnang is eyeing a test with new-for-2010 Formula 1 team Campos Grand Prix.

The 21-year-old Swiss driver - who is the cousin of F1 driver Sebastien Buemi - finished third in the Spanish F3 championship last season driving for Campos and has been in discussions with team boss Adrian Campos about a potential testing role.

"I have been speaking to Adrian Campos about a test drive," Gachnang said. "It is certainly a possibility. He believes in me as a driver after our time together in Spanish F3 last year.

"For me it would be a historic moment to be the next woman in F1 - many people have said it is not possible, so it would be fantastic to prove them wrong. That said, the most important thing for me has always been to be fast - if I am not quick then I will not make it.

"For that reason my main objective this season is to perform well in Formula 2, although the prospect of a test seat with Campos adds a bit of motivation."

autosport.com

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 18 Jun 2009, 20:27

Rosberg eyes BMW seat
Spoiler:
Nico Rosberg on Thursday wasn’t about to comment on speculation that he's had talks with BMW Sauber about joining the German squad in 2010.

After four years at Williams, the 23-year-old has also been linked with a switch to McLaren Mercedes, but for now has delayed his decision about next season amid the sport's political uncertainty.

Asked by reporters at Silverstone what he had to say about the BMW rumours, the German replied: "Nothing at all. All I will say is that it is an interesting team."

He declined to say if talks with the Mario Theissen-led outfit have been held.

The political situation aside, selecting a team for 2010 based on likely performance is problematic. If budgets plummet with an annual cap, Rosberg admits he might be best placed to stay with his current Grove-based team.

He pointed out that he genuinely outpaced Ferrari in Turkey two weeks ago, snapped at the heels of Toyota, and has been in the 'Q3' session at every race so far in 2009.

Rosberg also thinks Williams is well placed to prosper if all the teams need to drastically cut costs.

"If the budget cap comes in it will help Williams a lot - because they're used to a low budget, not that low but somewhere much closer to that level than other teams," said Rosberg. "So it will be a bit more of a mess for other teams to reduce their budgets by such a large amount, I think.”

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090618211353.shtml

AzShadow

Re: Breakaway Series to be Launched by FOTA

Post by AzShadow » 24 Jun 2009, 14:34

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76497
The full entry list is:

TEAM                        CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO   FERRARI                
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES   McLAREN MERCEDES       
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM          BMW SAUBER             
RENAULT F1 TEAM             RENAULT                
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING     TOYOTA                 
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO         STR TBA                
RED BULL RACING             RBR TBA                
AT&T WILLIAMS               WILLIAMS TOYOTA        
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM         FORCE INDIA MERCEDES   
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM   BRAWN TBA              
CAMPOS META TEAM            CAMPOS COSWORTH        
MANOR GRAND PRIX            MANOR COSWORTH         
TEAM US F1                  TEAM US F1 COSWORTH  
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76498 wrote: The FIA statement said: "As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s.

"The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance."

As part of the deal with FOTA, the teams' association has agreed to recognise the FIA's position as the sport's governing body, adding that a new Concorde Agreement has been agreed in principle to keep all of the teams in F1 to 2012 and, upon re-negotiation, it is hoped beyond.

"The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport's governing body," added the statement. "They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula 1 World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

"All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement."

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Breakaway Series to be Launched by FOTA

Post by swca92 » 24 Jun 2009, 14:44

Apparently regulations for 2010 will be the same as in 2009, except for changes announced before 29 April. So refuelling is still banned, but basically regulations stay the same for 2010.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Unfulfilled Breakaway Series Idea and 2010 Season Discussion

Post by blizzard » 25 Jun 2009, 10:49

I hope they don´t ban refuelling, because I think it would decrease overtaking even more, because everyone would be racing with the same fuel load, so the complete field could be within 1,5 seconds/gap per lap = impossible to overtake. We need different strategies.

On the other hand it would be the end for the stupid Q3 rules, where you have to qualify with the fuel for the first stint. Nobody needs that. Just let everyone qualify with the minimum fuel required and then determine the fuel load for the race and sent it to the FIA.

And I was also hoping, that the stupid rev limit would be removed, this is not a Go Kart competition right. Rev limiting the engines was the most ridiculous thing ever introduced to F1. So now every team has around 700hp with 18000rpm, boooooring :zz:

It´s amazing, underneath every F1 video pre 2006 on youtube, there are about 20 comments that V8´s are c**p and the fans want V10´s back.
Yesterday I watched some footage from 2004 at Hockenheim and I couldn´t believe it, they were easily running 340 kmh on the straight. Now they barely get to 300kmh in race trim.