2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ferrariman60 » 06 Jul 2010, 01:18

R.? wrote:I was amazed when I watched the Canadian GP. At the end of the backstraight they brake just before the 50m mark. From 310kmh for the chicane! Same in Barcelona at the end of the pit straight. 50 meters before the corner. No wonder Button couldn't get pass Schumacher. Braking distance is too short.
Yes, braking distances are very short, but that's one of the things that makes F1 cars different from all other racing cars, as they stop even faster than they go. The flip side is that it does indeed hamper overtaking. I think however that the real problem is with aero and tires. The aero is such that the cars can't follow closely through most corners, and the tires wear in such a way that they grain and leave marbles anywhere off the racing line. This is why the cars run single-file through corners because if they get off line, they'll skid off into the marbles. I don't know if it's even possible to make a tire that doesn't produce marbles, especially when the cars exert such downforce on them, but I think aero changes (Like flat bottoms and single-plane front and rear wings like in IndyCar), could improve following and overtaking.

However, (and I just did it myself) when we talk about how to improve overtaking, we talk mostly about American racing like NASCAR or IndyCar, which race predominantly on ovals. Road courses and ovals are 2 very different animals. Ovals can be run effectively on multiple lines, but on road courses, there is mostly just 1 effective racing line.

(and Iceman, sign me up for Lotus! I can change oil and I need a job!) :p
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 06 Jul 2010, 07:08

iceman1 wrote:Lotus eyes 15 more staff for F1 team
Lotus is eyeing a few more staff for its burgeoning Formula One team.

An employee joked to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport that the factory in Norfolk is "about as big as the McLaren canteen!".

But it houses 160 staff, with 45 more employees working for Lotus at the Italian Aerolab wind tunnel.

"220 (staff) would be good," said technical boss Mike Gascoyne.

In September 2009, Gascoyne was among the new team's original 4 team members.
OK Guys, be ready I need 14 members from F1zone to help the team :p
I'll do the logistics :O
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 06 Jul 2010, 18:29

JoostLamers wrote:
iceman1 wrote:Lotus eyes 15 more staff for F1 team
Lotus is eyeing a few more staff for its burgeoning Formula One team.

An employee joked to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport that the factory in Norfolk is "about as big as the McLaren canteen!".

But it houses 160 staff, with 45 more employees working for Lotus at the Italian Aerolab wind tunnel.

"220 (staff) would be good," said technical boss Mike Gascoyne.

In September 2009, Gascoyne was among the new team's original 4 team members.
OK Guys, be ready I need 14 members from F1zone to help the team :p
I'll do the logistics :O
i will be one of the engineers if possible :D

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 08 Jul 2010, 09:58

Even the new bumps in Silverstone work as an advantage to Red Bull

Turun Sanomat 7.7 2010 21:33:00

This weekend the F1-season will pass the halfway.

A year ago Red Bull dominated the British Grand Prix in Silverstone's speed paradise. Vettel took pole in qualification before Webber. The duo lead the race from the beginning to the end. Vettel drove 57 laps in the lead and Webber drove 3 laps in the lead.

This year we can expect at least a similar Red Bull -show.

The track has been renovated. It is now 5,901 kilometer long when it was earlier 5,141 kilometer.

The new part is a bit more bumpier and it should work in Red Bull's advantage.

Because of the bumps the teams have to uplift the driving height of their cars. When they do that it will be even more difficult for competitors to get even close Adrian Newey's designed downforce-effects in RB6-cars. To Red Bull lifting the driving height won't weaken their downforce-powers almost at all.

It will rain on Thursday but otherwise the weather should be dry this weekend although the temperature won't be high.

Newey tells right in the beginning that there won't be any big development steps from Red Bull anymore. There will be updates but the biggest changes were the F-Duct and the adjusted new double diffuser they brought to Valencia.

Newey's brilliant idea in Red Bull's development work has been steering the exhaust fumes down in order to maximise the diffuser advantage and in that the RB6-car is still clearly ahead of the others copying them.

Ferrari brought their own version to Valencia and McLaren will take their version into use in their home race Silverstone. Although they are telling from the Ferrari-camp that the actual B-version of F10-car will be taken in use after two weeks in Hockenheim when it's diffuser is also updated when it comes to the exhaust fumes.

– We don't have anything big and new to Silverstone, mainly just some development changes in the front- and back wing. In Valencia the diffuser and F-Duct was working well. We have worked unbelievably hard and Vettel drove a brilliant race with the novelties, Newey says.

– Sebastian's performance is especially honorable since he got his left front wheel into a 'cube' after locking his brakes in the start.

– When we have proceeded for one and a half year with the same regulations it's even more difficult to find something completely new. It was exciting to see how popular our exhaust pipe system has become, Newey says.

The sold-out Silverstone is a real F1-Mekka. The settings are tingling for British fans when their own boys Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button come to their homerace when leading the WC-serie.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jul 2010, 18:51

Yamamoto replaces Senna for Silverstone
J Legard wrote:Bruno Senna dropped for this weekend. Sakon Yamamoto replaces. Colin Kolles just said more details in the morning
Adam Cooper & Joe Saward also confirm. It is unknown whether it will just be for Silverstone or for other races

:<>:

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 08 Jul 2010, 19:07

What a difference that's going to make.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 08 Jul 2010, 19:19

Thats pathetic. :(
Feel real bad for Bruno though :(. He was just starting to look quite good. I dont expect anything from Yamamoto

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 08 Jul 2010, 19:39

That's a joke, solely for money that move was made.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jul 2010, 20:03

As soon as Yamamoto was signed as TD I knew it was just a matter of time before one of them was replaced. Now we wait for Albers to replace Chandhok...

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 08 Jul 2010, 20:48

That's really heartbreaking to hear. I'd think that the Senna name alone would be enough for him to have a full ride all season. Hopefully, he'll get picked up by a better team for 2011 (Lotus maybe?? What a move that could be!)
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 08 Jul 2010, 21:59

Ferrariman60 wrote:That's really heartbreaking to hear. I'd think that the Senna name alone would be enough for him to have a full ride all season. Hopefully, he'll get picked up by a better team for 2011 (Lotus maybe?? What a move that could be!)
i doubt it though. I think Heikki and Jarno are going to be there for the long term. Virgin Racing might be an option in place of Di Grassi.

But i too feel he deserves a seat (not just for his Senna surname)

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by R.? » 09 Jul 2010, 08:55

It's probably about the money. What els. It's a pity for him, he deserved a chance. But I don't think he is a very good driver. Personaly, I think Chandhok is better. But Senna does deserve another chance. And about Albers? Please leave him away from F1. I'm Dutch and I would like to see a Dutch driver in F1, but not Albers.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Jul 2010, 13:53

HRT have confirmed that Sakon Yamamoto will be given an opportunity this weekend but Bruno Senna will be back in the car for Hockenheim and will finish the season with the team

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Jul 2010, 19:48

This info is from a reliable Brazilian at Atlas:
If my information is correct, it seems that everything is because of a delay in Karun's payments . Then Yamamoto immediately paid 1.5 million requested by the team who prepared a press release announcing the replacement of Karun.

Chandhok took the money last time and at that point he could no longer be dropped. On the other hand, the team couldn't (or wouldn't) give up the Yamamoto's money, so Bruno become the victim.

Lamag
car driver
car driver

Post by Lamag » 10 Jul 2010, 10:18

Thanks for the info phil1993, it’s very sad to see the Money playing a big role nowadays in this sport.
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro | Mercedes GP Petronas