2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Post by amoljoshi » 25 Mar 2010, 13:07

blizzard wrote:
MavF1 wrote:
sdutt wrote:wow i am a race engineer.
as per the order swca92 is my man.

OK MEN! ensure you get this month's salaries from our very own- blizzard :D
Yeah, on which side of the garage am I supposed to be, blizzard?
I think I'll get along fine with both :O
Hehe, ask iceman or Zack. I´m just the peanut counter :lol:

On a serious note: What do you guys think of my idea to set up a real F1zone.net team in an rfactor online league? I´ve managed teams before in online leagues, so I would enjoy it to take part in a "real" F1zone team.
Can`t we work with good old F1C?

Nbuulb
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Nbuulb » 25 Mar 2010, 16:54

Bad news for Virgin Racing: it looks like their fuel tank isn't large enough for them to finish races. &doh
Even worse: they won't be able to make the necessary changes before the Spanish Grand Prix!

From Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 1418&FS=F1):
Fuel tank not big enough for Virgin to finish races

Virgin has been given a green light by the FIA to make a substantial change to its 2010 chassis.
Although the chassis is homologated for cost reasons and therefore not able to be modified, it has emerged that the new British team discovered that the fuel tank in the VR-01 car is not big enough.
In fact, with normal engine settings, the Cosworth-powered car - if sufficiently reliable - currently would not make it to the end of a race, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
It is believed Virgin has been permitted to make the change, which will not be ready for a few more events, on the grounds of the 'cost or reliability' test.
The magazine said the revised chassis, to require a longer underbody, new engine cover and other bodywork, should be ready to debut in Spain in early May.
The situation, however, has put on hold any other car improvements for Virgin, given that it would make little sense to introduce new bodywork now if it must be substantially revised for the new fuel tank package in Barcelona.
Auto Motor und Sport also reports that a tweaked diffuser is not the only altered piece on the 2010 McLaren in Melbourne this weekend.
The report said the FIA requested that the Woking based team also alter a blade dimension on its front wing.

andrebires
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by andrebires » 26 Mar 2010, 14:59

Nbuulb wrote:Bad news for Virgin Racing: it looks like their fuel tank isn't large enough for them to finish races. &doh
Even worse: they won't be able to make the necessary changes before the Spanish Grand Prix!

From Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 1418&FS=F1):
Fuel tank not big enough for Virgin to finish races

Virgin has been given a green light by the FIA to make a substantial change to its 2010 chassis.
Although the chassis is homologated for cost reasons and therefore not able to be modified, it has emerged that the new British team discovered that the fuel tank in the VR-01 car is not big enough.
In fact, with normal engine settings, the Cosworth-powered car - if sufficiently reliable - currently would not make it to the end of a race, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
It is believed Virgin has been permitted to make the change, which will not be ready for a few more events, on the grounds of the 'cost or reliability' test.
The magazine said the revised chassis, to require a longer underbody, new engine cover and other bodywork, should be ready to debut in Spain in early May.
The situation, however, has put on hold any other car improvements for Virgin, given that it would make little sense to introduce new bodywork now if it must be substantially revised for the new fuel tank package in Barcelona.
Auto Motor und Sport also reports that a tweaked diffuser is not the only altered piece on the 2010 McLaren in Melbourne this weekend.
The report said the FIA requested that the Woking based team also alter a blade dimension on its front wing.
They should start the races until Valencia with low gas for a few laps show...

sato113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sato113 » 27 Mar 2010, 20:12

i want to click on ads at least once a day on this site, but where the hell are they????!!!!

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 28 Mar 2010, 01:23

sato113 wrote:i want to click on ads at least once a day on this site, but where the hell are they????!!!!
Off-Topic: show
it is on the right hand side, on top

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 28 Mar 2010, 09:58

Underdog Mercedes has less manpower than rivals >> http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1n ... ivals.html
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Cromoseta
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Cromoseta » 31 Mar 2010, 09:01

WM standings with old points system:

1. Alonso 15
2. Massa 14
3. Button 12
4. Hamilton 9
5. Kubica 8
6. Rosberg 8
7. Vettel 5
8. Schumacher 3
9. Webber 1
10. Liuzzi 2
11. Barrichello 1

1. Ferrari: 29
2. McLaren: 21
3. Mercedes: 11
4. Renault: 8
5. Red Bull: 6
6. Force India: 2
7. Williams: 1

Nearly no difference at all

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 31 Mar 2010, 13:29

Mercedes will drive with an F-duct in Barcelona
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 31 Mar 2010, 14:03

JoostLamers wrote:Mercedes will drive with an F-duct in Barcelona
that wont bring them to p1... so easy

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 31 Mar 2010, 15:46

Cromoseta wrote:WM standings with old points system:

1. Alonso 15
2. Massa 14
3. Button 12
4. Hamilton 9
5. Kubica 8
6. Rosberg 8
7. Vettel 5
8. Schumacher 3
9. Webber 1
10. Liuzzi 2
11. Barrichello 1

1. Ferrari: 29
2. McLaren: 21
3. Mercedes: 11
4. Renault: 8
5. Red Bull: 6
6. Force India: 2
7. Williams: 1

Nearly no difference at all
Fantastic. I've been looking around for this sort of information for a while. The new points system doesn't do a lot really, except reward the lower place finishes proportionally more, such as Liuzzi.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 31 Mar 2010, 18:02

here's another comparison;

Current system: (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1)
Alonso - 37
Massa - 33
Button - 31
Hamilton - 23
Rosberg - 20
Kubica - 18
Vettel - 12
Schumacher - 9
Liuzzi - 8
Webber - 6
Barrichello - 5

old system: (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1)
alonso - 15
massa - 14
button - 12
hamilton - 9
rosberg - 8
kubica - 8
vettel - 5
schumacher - 3
webber - 1

very old system: (10-6-4-3-2-1)
alonso - 13
button - 10
massa - 10
kubica - 6
hamilton - 5
rosberg - 4
vettel - 3
schumacher - 1

i think i messed up the tally a bit.....kindly correct me if there are errors :)
Last edited by megasyxx on 31 Mar 2010, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 31 Mar 2010, 19:08

I love what you described as the 'very old system' as I think the rewards are very fair... but I accept that more points positions are needed now.

P.S. The very very very old system would have 8 for a win and include fastest lap! I wonder how that would look!

Answer:
Alonso 12
Massa 10
Button 8
Kubica 6
Hamilton 4
Rosberg 4
Vettel 3
Webber 1

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 01 Apr 2010, 10:17

Outboard mirrors banned
Outboard mirrors are to be banned from Formula 1 with effect from the Chinese Grand Prix in two weeks' time, AUTOSPORT has learned, following concerns over poor visibility from sidepod-mounted mirrors creating a safety issue.

Several teams have mounted their mirrors on the sidepods of their cars for aerodynamic reasons, with Ferrari and Red Bull Racing's mirror positioning the most dramatic. But from Shanghai onwards, the mirrors will have to be fitted on the cockpit sides on safety grounds.

Drivers had said in Melbourne last weekend that they would be speaking to the FIA about the mirror problem. Several issues of accidental blocking in practice were put down to poor rear visibility.

"Everyone has got a problem with mirrors," said Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa in Australia. "The reality is that the mirrors on the sidepods, they give you very small vision of what is happening behind and they vibrate a lot so you see very little.

"So if you don't have a lot of information coming from the radio, then you have a problem. You can see when you have a car straight behind okay, but when it is two seconds behind you have no idea where it is.

"Everyone has the same problem, but since the mirrors have gone outboard this is a problem - as they are aerodynamic devices now."

But Ferrari's Felipe Massa said he was quite happy with his team's mirror design.

"I have no problem with my visibility," he insisted. "So, if it is the same I prefer to keep what I have, but we will see how it is going to be. I hope we don't lose anything moving the mirrors from one side to the other."
Good move. :thumbsup:
Working mirrors should not be sacrificed for aerodynamic gain.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 01 Apr 2010, 13:11

brawn's mirrors last year were nice......it's an aero device as well obviously.......wanna bet teams will create a design as such. :)

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Apr 2010, 14:49

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82590

Virgin Racing to sell team to Stefan GP
Spoiler:
Following rumors, Virgin Racing have been unable to attract the required sponsors and hence they are reportedly in talks with Stefan GP for a team buyout. This news comes hot in the heels of USF1s failure to make the grid.
Bernie and management are set take stringent measures against Virgin racing for a reported breach in contract. The least expected is a fine worth US $1,000,000. It is unclear whether the FIA will apply iany sanctions.
Team and FIA officials were unable for comment
Off-Topic: show
APRIL FOOL's everybody :lol: :rofl: