2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: 2010 Pre-Season Discussions: Driver Line-ups, News and Misc

Post by JoostLamers » 20 Feb 2010, 17:06

Button: "Ferrari is the strongest"
Spoiler:
World Champion Jenson Button believes that Ferrari is in best shape to grab most points from the start of the season, judging by performances in Jerez testing this week. The Englishman also explained that he has been surveying his rivals' cars when following closely in testing.

With Button making the switch from Brawn (now Mercedes) to McLaren, the Frome man admits that it is the red cars which appear to be on top. "I think the Ferrari is very strong," the 30-year-old told reports in Jerez.

"If you look at their runs today, they're very consistent and I think they have better consistency than anyone else at the moment."

Having taken over at the wheel of McLaren's MP4-25 on Friday from team-mate Lewis Hamilton, Jenson reported his on-track findings. "It's always interesting to observe what they're up to," the current title holder continued. "I think our pace is good but there's still areas we need to work on for me to be happy with the car.

"I followed a few drivers today - Fernando (Alonso, Ferrari), Michael (Schumacher, Mercedes); it's always interesting to see what's happening - the Mercedes seems like it's a little bit twitchy at the rear and locking the rears under breaking, but if they're on 150 kilos (of fuel) it's understandable. The Ferrari looks good on the circuit, good consistency.

"Over one lap, our car is getting there; we're improving step-by-step and on the long runs we're improving with every one we do. There's so much information we've got from today - more than any other test day so far, for me anyway; we're going to go through all of that this evening and hopefully have another good day tomorrow."

Code: Select all

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/228563/button-ferrari-is-the-strongest/
We are lacking downforce, admits Kovalainen
Spoiler:
Heikki Kovalainen has admitted that Lotus' first Formula 1 car in sixteen years carries a fundamental downforce problem, as he completed his Jerez test slowest on the timesheets and 3.2 seconds down on leader Mark Webber's Red Bull on Friday.

As the famous Lotus name returns to the sport with the 1Malaysia team behind it, Kovalainen drove the car for the first time on Thursday after test driver Fairuz Fauzy began the team's programme on Thursday. With Jarno Trulli set to take over for tomorrow, Kovalainen understands the key problems.

"I think the main issue is the downforce," the former Renault and McLaren driver explained to reporters. "We have not been able to develop the aero package as we should have; we had five months to build the car and everything's been a bit conservative. Before they started to design the car, they had no information about the engine, so cooling and everything is quite conservative.

"For sure, we can improve - just by looking at the car I could probably improve a few things; I'm sure we will be able to do this but it'll just take a little time." With the team's Norfolk-based crew being able to collect more information before the season starts, in Barcelona next week, Heikki knows that time will be the best healer.

"Once everybody in the UK - the design and manufacturing teams - begin working, we'll be able to make big improvements," continued Kovalainen, who crashed at Jerez on Thursday.

"I think it's quite clear that we're lacking downforce compared to the quickest cars. It's not surprising, we expected it - but just looking at the numbers we knew where we were going to be."

Code: Select all

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/228557/we-are-lacking-downforce-admits-kovalainen/
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Feb 2010, 07:43

Chandhok vs Baguette for the #2 Campos seat

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 21 Feb 2010, 10:20

Campos really don't look competitive, can't say I'm bothered who drives for them. That interview with Stefan was hilarious, they simply interviewed themselves. If politicians only had to interview themselves they'd create a personalty cult and have an easy life.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 21 Feb 2010, 12:09

Campos are going to be well off the pace, not Lola-level, but instead Super Aguri level. Same will apply, I think, to Stefan initially if they're allowed in. If, somehow, the stars align correctly and USF1 do make it, they'll have the indignity of being the next Lola.

Virgin and Lotus will be backmarkers to begin with, but they'll improve as the season goes, especially Virgin.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 21 Feb 2010, 18:16

Speaking of which, if they do end up being that slow, would they even make the grid? If they're, like, ten seconds off the pace in qualifying? Or would DNQ's be a possibility? What do the rules state?

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 21 Feb 2010, 19:01

François wrote:Speaking of which, if they do end up being that slow, would they even make the grid? If they're, like, ten seconds off the pace in qualifying? Or would DNQ's be a possibility? What do the rules state?
The 107% rule is gone since 2003 when qualifying had it´s first major revision.

So yeah they WOULD make the grid if they´re 12 seconds off the pace. But it wouldn´t make sense in sporting terms...I mean finishing a race 10 laps or so behind the leader...hmmm even retired drivers might finish in front of them, if they were dropping out late in the race.

I think neither Campos nor Stefan or USF1 will make it to a GP.

Campos and especially USF1 are a big disappointment.

If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk!

Stefan has no F1 license, not even a tyre supply deal. So it´s basically impossible for them to take part in F1 events.

What does leave a very bitter taste in my mouth however is the fact that Bruno Senna is the one who´s suffering most from the Campos fiasco....possibly no F1 for him at all...and even IF (big if) the unimaginable does happen and Campos take part ---> Beeing 7 seconds off the pace doesn´t help his reputation at all.
A shame that Lotus signed Trulli who is finished as an F1 driver instead of giving Bruno a chance. Would have been a solid PR stunt aswell, Senna and Lotus you know.

KevC

Post by KevC » 21 Feb 2010, 20:52

Another issue is that the drivers in those new teams who have no F1 experience have to complete 300km of observed testing before they can get a superlicense to race. So even if they turn up at Bahrain they can't race until they get to 300km AND get the nod to be on the grid.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 21 Feb 2010, 23:21

So Nando says this is the best car he has ever driven.. So that means it's his/their title to lose..

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 21 Feb 2010, 23:30

We're used to hyperbole and exaggeration in winter testing, when Fernando said that he was probably trying to increase morale and confidence within Ferrari. And besides, theoretically shouldn't every new car be the best car the driver's ever driven??? Car performance should improve every year, so it should be a similar feeling for every driver.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 22 Feb 2010, 09:25

I think Ferrari have a small edge over everyone else, and I can see McLaren and Red Bull being major threats, with Mercedes coming strong late in the season.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 Feb 2010, 11:30

Andy Soucek will be confirmed in the next few days as Virgins test/reserve driver

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 22 Feb 2010, 16:12

JoostLamers wrote:So Nando says this is the best car he has ever driven.. So that means it's his/their title to lose..
What about the Renault in 2005 & 2006 ?

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 22 Feb 2010, 20:09

iceman1 wrote:
JoostLamers wrote:So Nando says this is the best car he has ever driven.. So that means it's his/their title to lose..
that is past. he wants to be the center of attraction, hence he said that :lol:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Feb 2010, 21:32

iceman1 wrote:
McLaren in 2007 is arguably faster than Renault in 2005 or 2006. So, if Alonso said what he said wholeheartedly, than F10 might be a monster but I really doubt his trustworthiness. F10 might be fast, yes, but such speculative statements will only help Alonso's effort to carve his name off Tifosi's hearts instead of someone-obvious.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen