2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
AzShadow

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Line-ups, News and Regulations

Post by AzShadow » 07 Jul 2009, 16:30

Too many Mercedes teams around. :zz: If there'll be Ferrari-Mercedes, I'll flip out. :roll::

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 07 Jul 2009, 16:41

mercedes v8's in demand eh? :zz: remove the hp and rev limits, then lets see if it will still be in demand. :D

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 07 Jul 2009, 17:01

FOTA to consult fans on F1 rules
Grand Prix racing fans will be consulted more about future rule changes, claims a leading figure from the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA). Ahead of meetings scheduled for the Nurburgring from tomorrow to discuss framing the 2010 regulations, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh reckons that the input of fans will become vital for the longer term health of the sport. In a video interview produced by McLaren, Whitmarsh suggests that FOTA embarked with the intention of listening to what fans wanted - something that he believes put it on a collision course with the FIA and F1's commercial rights holders.
Spoiler:
"FOTA set out to conduct the first proper audience surveys, which were an exciting piece of work," explained Whitmarsh.

"The first time we went out we didn't just ask the ardent fans, we asked those with a passing interest in F1 – what is it that they wanted from F1? How could we make it better? What did they want from the show? What did they want from the technology?

"I think that process started to challenge perhaps, wrongly in the minds of the commercial rights holder and the governing body, and inevitably there led to differences of opinion and philosophy about how we should take the sport forward."

FOTA did reach an agreement with the FIA last month about future rules for F1, but there remains some uncertainty about the immediate situation after Max Mosley expressed anger at what he felt were deliberate attempts by the teams' body to mislead the media.

Whitmarsh said he hoped the future would see greater cooperation between teams and the FIA – but said the priority would always be doing what was best for the fans.

Speaking about the recent accord with the FIA, Whitmarsh said: "Some of the proposals that were unacceptable to the teams were dropped, and hopefully that is the start.

"There is no absolute in F1 as it is a complex business with all sorts of politics and egos, but hopefully it is part of a process where we can now start to build and work together.

"That is not just the teams, but also the governing body and the commercial rights holder to improve the sport.

"So what does it mean for the fans? It means we should be more actively listening to them. A lot of changes have occurred in F1 over the recent years that haven't really taken into account the wishes of fans. We haven't properly brought those into the thought structure and hopefully in the future we will see much more of that."

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76763
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 07 Jul 2009, 17:37

FOTA might consult fans, but it doesn't matter because neither FIA nor Bernie will listen to them.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 08 Jul 2009, 08:17

FOTA seems to be playing for the tribune, for the public support. They know they can achieve more with the support of public against Bernie and Mosley. Let's wait how they can manage to survey what we want.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 08:39

Well, on the driver front, Hulkenberg just said: "Look, here I am, I can win 2 races in the same weekend" whilst Nakajima is tootling around in 12th...

Hulkenberg is reminiscent of Hamilton: Brilliant in F3 Euro, struggled at the start of his GP2 career, but (with ART as well) he has taken a double win (his first win as well) at the Nurburgring... just like LH...

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Jul 2009, 08:42

Hulkenberg needs money to bring Williams with him, as does Nakajima thanks to Toyota partnership. Williams cannot afford having two -let's say- unpaid/unsponsored drivers.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 08:43

It seems to me that Heidfeld may be out of F1 at the end of the year, replaced by Rosberg - hence the seat being cleared... as Autosport says, everything depends on whether Raikkonen quits...

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Jul 2009, 16:09

Hülkenberg was uncatchable at the Nürburgring
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 16:13

I'd predict:

Heidfeld to DTM
Rosberg to BMW
Hulkenberg to Williams
Grosjean to Renault
Algueusari to STR permanently
De La Rosa to Campos
Piquet to Manor

If I were to say now, I'd predict
Spoiler:
Brawn-Mercedes
#1 Jenson Button
#2 Rubens Barrichello/Kimi Raikkonen

Red Bull Racing
#3 Sebastian Vettel
#4 Mark Webber

Ferrari
#5 Felipe Massa
#6 Fernando Alonso

Toyota
#7 Jarno Trulli (Will retire after 2010)
#8 Timo Glock

McLaren
#9 Lewis Hamilton
#10 Heikki Kovalainen

Williams
#11 Kazuki Nakajima
#12 Nico Hulkenberg

Renault

#14 Romain Grosjean
#15 Sebastien Bourdais/Lucas di Grassi

BMW Sauber
#16 Robert Kubica
#17 Nico Rosberg

Toro Rosso
#18 Sebastien Buemi
#19 Jaime Alguesuari/Sebastien Loeb

Force India
#20 Adrian Sutil
#21 Giancarlo Fisichella/Karun Chandhok

Campos
#22 Pedro de La Rosa
#23 Giorgio Pantano

no idea for the other 2 teams

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Jul 2009, 10:41

Red Bull wants to retain Mark Webber for next year
It will be interesting what conditions are placed on the signing, and whether the contract is for one or more years. Mark appears to have recuperated from his horrific injuries early this year, and his pace at Silverstone and now Germany is certainly impressive.

I knew that he had leg injuries but until I read the article on Monday, I didn't know how serious they were; nor did I know that he also broke his shoulder. I suspect he must have been driving under severe pain for most of his races this year.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 18 Jul 2009, 10:56

Ferrari already testing 2010 parts on 2009 car?
by Ted Kravitz, BBC
Ferrari

Incredibly, Germany saw Felipe Massa's first podium of the season, which promoted him into the 'best non-Brawn or Red Bull driver' spot in the championship.

Amongst the usual race-specific set-up work, Ferrari spent Friday practice testing a nosecone for their 2010 car.

It looks identical to the Red Bull nose concept, with scalloped mid-section and high edges, but I was amazed that they had already designed and made next year's nose section and were testing it mid-way through the 2009 season.

Since there is no in-season testing, Fridays are the teams' only chance to track test this kind of stuff. Ferrari are clearly looking to "do a Honda", and spend all their present energies designing and wind-tunnel testing next year's car - a decision that led to the early dominance of Brawn this season.

Code: Select all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/07/ted-kravitz-the-german-gp-from.html

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Jul 2009, 10:57

Next year is going to be immense... I can see 4 teams fighting for top honours...

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 18 Jul 2009, 13:21

Again by Ted Kravitz, from the same article.
McLaren

The paddock jungle drums had it that McLaren felt bad that they had failed so spectacularly to provide both their drivers with a decent car this season, that they would offer Heikki Kovalainen a new contract for next year by way of apology.

I asked team boss Martin Whitmarsh if this was true on Saturday evening, and he said no, the car had nothing to do with it.

Indeed, while acknowledging Kovalainen's strengths as a fast driver and a thoroughly good bloke, Whitmarsh did point out that Heikki hadn't enjoyed the results that either he or McLaren would have liked recently (although a point in Germany was a good result).

Kovalainen's management are currently in discussion with Whitmarsh over what happens next year.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Jul 2009, 18:24

According to Spanish newspaper Diario AS, Pedro De La Rosa will join the new Campos GP team as a race driver for the next two F1 seasons.

The 38-year-old McLaren test driver has 72 grand prix to his name, but hasn't raced in F1 since his 2006 activities for McLaren, replacing NASCAR-bound Juan Pablo Montoya halfway through the season.

De La Rosa, also chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers Association, will bring invaluable epxerience to the new F1 outfit of his compatriot Adrian Campos. Campos will reportedly unveil the deal at the European grand prix at Valencia next month.

It is speculated that the Spaniard will be teamed up with a younger talent, with the names of Brazilian Bruno Senna and several Spanish GP2 drivers circulating in the media. Also Mexican Sergio Perez, who drove for Campos in the GP2 Asia Series, has been mentioned as a possibility for Campos' second race seat.
according to spanish media though :roll::