The wheel covers should be banned.

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
AzShadow

Re: The wheel covers should be banned.

Post by AzShadow » 26 Apr 2009, 09:40

Yeah tyre warmers are the ones that are supposed to be banned next year.

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 27 Apr 2009, 16:05

with tire warmers banned it will be interesting to see which drivers will be able to maximize their pit out lap speed on cold tires

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 27 Apr 2009, 16:32

When were the tyre warmers introduced?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Apr 2009, 17:22

sejtur wrote:When were the tyre warmers introduced?

Mike Drury of the company MA Horne first introduced electric tyre warmers in 1985. Teams had tried various methods to pre-heat their tyres prior to then, including wrapping them in black bin liners, but it was Drury who introduced the first bespoke 240-volt blanket.

Code: Select all

http://www.f1network.net/main/s107/st98848.htm
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 27 Apr 2009, 18:17

Thanks Ali.
If they were invented in 1985, before then they drove without pre-heated tyres, and I think that went all-right. I didn't hear many people complaining about them in documentaries of that time. I think it would make for some interesting racing, and I think that's also the reason it will be banned. It will be really important now to warm the tyres. Especially in qualifying.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Apr 2009, 19:15

sejtur wrote:Thanks Ali.
If they were invented in 1985, before then they drove without pre-heated tyres, and I think that went all-right. I didn't hear many people complaining about them in documentaries of that time. I think it would make for some interesting racing, and I think that's also the reason it will be banned. It will be really important now to warm the tyres. Especially in qualifying.

No, if you read carefully, you'll see that teams used various methods to heat their tyres before blankets were introduced. So they always tried to heat their tyres.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 27 Apr 2009, 19:26

But next year, they're not allowed to heat the tyres in any way? Or is it just a tyre blanket ban?
If it's an all-heating ban, it's going to be tricky for the drivers!

"On stone cold tyres," says Toyota star Jarno Trulli, "the car would be very difficult to drive. If you went at anything like close to racing speed, you'd be straight off the circuit."

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Apr 2009, 20:13

They tested the new compounds suitable for new regulations and as far as I remember, drivers were happy about that. I don't think there will be some big issues related to them.

nickel
car driver
car driver

Post by nickel » 28 Apr 2009, 01:53

It's all a big load of rubish if you ask me... I find it, at best, amusing hearing the best drivers in the world whine about things like difficult conditions when it rains, and difficulty driving on cold tires and such. Suck it up and drive the damn car...

While we're on the subject of tires... For all sorts of reasons, I really feel F1 should go to 1 set of tires for the duration of the race (baring eventualities like punctures or such things).
This would achieve a few goals, not least of which being FIA putting their money where their mouth is as far as the environment... using untold number of tires over the course of a weekend is just wrong...

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 28 Apr 2009, 06:52

It was like that in 2005 but then FIA scrapped the idea.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 30 Jan 2010, 16:54

Okay guys pat on the back for everyone, the covers are long banned for this year. Cheers! :D