Diffuser Controversy

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Should the diffusers of three teams be banned?

Poll ended at 14 Apr 2009, 11:41

Yes
34%
No
63%
I have no freaking idea
3%

Total votes: 32

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Diffuser Controversy

Post by Ali » 26 Mar 2009, 07:06

BMW will also lodge a protest against three teams, Autosport reports:

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73899
What is more:

Four teams have officially lodged protests with the Australian race stewards regarding the design of three rival outfits' cars. Ferrari, BMW, Renault and Red Bull protested following Thursday's scrutineering, which saw the three cars in question - Williams' FW31, the Toyota TF109 and Brawn GP's 001 - all cleared to race.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5101688,00.html
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 26 Mar 2009, 08:41

So now the cars are legal. :roll:: The rival teams will probably take this to FIA's International Court of Appeal although I don't see how it would change anything. Then again, FIA changes its mind all the time.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Mar 2009, 08:58

AzShadow wrote:So now the cars are legal. :roll:: The rival teams will probably take this to FIA's International Court of Appeal although I don't see how it would change anything. Then again, FIA changes its mind all the time.
Actually it's not signed and sealed yet. Tonight, FIA will reach a conclusion about the matter. So it's pending right now. As Autosport reports, BMW's protest was rejected as they couldn't prepare paper work due time.

One way or another, we won't know the winner of Oz until possible-appeal will be finalized. Races should be won while racing. I find this situation quite annoying.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 26 Mar 2009, 09:12

The problem is that FIA should have one opinion on the matter and state clearly if the diffuser designs are allowed or not. Instead they have Mosley, Whiting, stewards and the Court of Appeal, all that might have a different stance.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Mar 2009, 09:19

Mosley said "It is a clever design but I don't know what stewards will decide if any team protest."

John Howett from Toyota said "No, we enquired with Charlie Whiting and got the green light."

How could we expect a "just and fair" decision while we know in the past even FIA appealed the decision of their own stewards. Situation is so cloudy.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Mar 2009, 13:05

Stewards clear teams' diffusers
Brawn GP, Williams and Toyota have been given the go-ahead to take part in the Australian Grand Prix after the FIA stewards rejected a protest against the design of their diffusers late on Thursday night.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73915
So fair game!

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 26 Mar 2009, 13:34

So it's International Court of Appeal next. Phew, they should just get on with it and everyone start designing their own diffusers.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Mar 2009, 13:44

But it may not be possible for small teams to copy it and re-design whole thing. I think Red Bull will appeal it. Ferrari and BMW might use their "already" designed diffusor. Geez, what a season.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 26 Mar 2009, 19:04

it's "copy - paste time", so to speak :lol:

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 27 Mar 2009, 10:07

Ferrari, Renault and RBR disagree with the decision of the FIA. They're going to protest against the decision of the stewards to clear the teams diffusers
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Mar 2009, 10:30

joostlamers wrote:Ferrari, Renault and RBR disagree with the decision of the FIA. They're going to protest against the decision of the stewards to clear the teams diffusers
Yeah, they are not happy with that but they already pledged their protests, which were rejected. The only option they have is to appeal the stewards' decision. They are told that they submitted their intention to appeal, which should be supported within three 3 days in writing.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 27 Mar 2009, 12:21

I think that if with a good argument, it can be argued that the letter of the regulations has been fulfilled, than you can only laud the teams for innovation. This is what we wanted, isn't it? Some great developments. You can kind of blame the FIA for not seeing the possibility of a loophole, but I'm glad its there. Kudos to Williams, Toyota and Brawn.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 27 Mar 2009, 12:53

ARTICLE 3 : BODYWORK AND DIMENSIONS
One of the purposes of the regulations under Article 3 below is to minimize the detrimental effect that the wake of
a car may have on a following car.

Furthermore, infinite precision can be assumed on certain dimensions provided it is clear that such an assumption
is not being made in order to circumvent or subvert the intention of the relevant regulation.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/7C4F8D883039AF6AC125757D00369C58/$FILE/1-2009_F1_TECHNICAL_REGULATIONS_Showing-Alterations_17-03-2009.pdf
Here's Autosport's analysis of the diffusers in January:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73083

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 27 Mar 2009, 13:01

These cars are soo illegal! I can't be true that the 6 controversial cars are in the top 7. They have to do something about it!
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 27 Mar 2009, 16:15

What's interesting is that some of the opposing teams insist that those using the diffusers in question are gaining a .5s advantage.. If you look at Friday's prac 1 and 2 times it is clear that the Williams car is consistently the fastest out there with Toyota and BrawnGP usually in the top 10, but interesting that Mar Weber's RBR-Renault finished 4th fastest in prac 2 on Friday.. So, I guess my point- is the difference in diffuser design that crucial or has Williams just put together a solid package? I'm guessing the latter. Also, do we know for sure who is and isn't running KERS this weekend? I think I remember BrawnGP stating they weren't for sure and BMW's is race-ready.. I'm pretty sure Mclaren, Ferrari, and Williams are running theirs.