£40m Budget Cap and Controversies

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
why so serious
kart driver
kart driver

£40m Budget Cap and Controversies

Post by why so serious » 17 Mar 2009, 15:35

I think it is much more interesting and "promising" which deserves more attention than medal system. Here is the details. We can discuss on these.

FIA introduces £30m budget cap - Whole Article
Spoiler:
The FIA has introduced a budget cap in Formula 1 for the 2010 season, as autosport.com predicted last month, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The voluntary cap will be set at £30 million per team per season, and those outfits signing up to the option will be allowed total technical freedom.

The FIA hopes that the move will make it easier for news teams to enter F1 and allow those teams without manufacturer support to be guaranteed a long future in the sport.

As a way of enticing teams to take up the option of the budget cap, the FIA has stated that it will tweak the regulations to ensure those with restricted finances will be just as competitive as those spending unlimited amounts of money.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The technical freedoms accorded to the low-budget teams will be adjusted from time to time to keep their median performance on a par with the median performance of the unlimited-expenditure teams. The regulations for the unlimited-expenditure teams will remain stable and fixed."

FIA president Max Mosley confirmed that the £30 million budget cap would include drivers' salaries.

When asked what was included, Mosley said: "Everything except the motor home (if the team has one) and any fine(s) imposed by the FIA. All expenditure will be included, even the salaries of the drivers and team principal.

"If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders, who may well include a chief engineer, team principal or even a driver. But we would make sure the team was genuinely making enough profit to cover the dividend."

Mosley also outlined details of what technical freedoms teams that signed up for the budget cap would be allowed.

"A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams," he explained.

"However measures to save money during the race weekend, such as the ban on refuelling and the Saturday parc ferme, will apply to both categories of team. We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams. But all this must be covered by the £30 million - no exceptions and no free or subsidised outside help.

"Anything supplied by another team or an outside supplier will be included at its full commercial cost except for items supplied to all teams at subsidised rates under the single supplier arrangements negotiated by the FIA (e.g. for tyres), which allow all teams to benefit equally from reduced costs."

He added: "The engine will comply with current rules, except that there will be no rev limit and no development freeze. However, the entire engine expenditure will come out of the cap. If the engine is supplied by an outside commercial entity or another team, we will have to be satisfied that there is no hidden subsidy.

"If a team has its own engine, we will check its full cost just as we will the rest of the car. The current rule limiting manufacturers to supplying engines to one additional team each will remain in place."
Highlights
  • • Everything except the motor home (if the team has one) and any fine(s) imposed by the FIA. All expenditure will be included (into 30€ budget), even the salaries of the drivers and team principal.

• A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams.

• We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams. But all this must be covered by the £30 million - no exceptions and no free or subsidised outside help.

• The engine will comply with current rules, except that there will be no rev limit and no development freeze.
Last edited by why so serious on 18 Mar 2009, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Budget Cap Imposed by FIA - £30

Post by coup » 17 Mar 2009, 17:21

is it even possible to run an F1 team on £30m?

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 17 Mar 2009, 17:24

30 quid budget? Wow,how great would f1 be if we had that budget cap? We'd just have lawnmowers with kart tyres and souped up engines racing each other...

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 17 Mar 2009, 17:25

i think so, should be interesting as you could have total technical freedom if you sign up.
this is a better descision than the medal system.
Last edited by shailf1 on 17 Mar 2009, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 17 Mar 2009, 17:25

Looks good on paper!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Re: Budget Cap Imposed by FIA - £30m

Post by phil1993 » 17 Mar 2009, 17:41

So its an optional budget cap

It's a bit like an optional homework then...

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 17 Mar 2009, 17:47

Eh, Ferrari could barely cover Kimi's salary with that budget. Well, FIA's on the roll and there's no stopping them it seems.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Mar 2009, 18:07

swca92 wrote:30 quid budget? Wow,how great would f1 be if we had that budget cap? We'd just have lawnmowers with kart tyres and souped up engines racing each other...
Haha

-Lawnmower £19.99
-Drivers - £5 each
-Mechanics- 1p each
-The racing - priceless

:lol:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Mar 2009, 18:34

I am a bit confused. I don't think big manufacturers like Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Toyota and Renault will go in that direction. If other independent teams -let's include Williams- choose to apply a budget cap in a bid to get rid of restrictions, I think they will only be able to exploit aerodynamic side as they all buy engines from those manufacturers who will have to use frozen engines. So they will have to race with the same frozen engine without making use of budget cap. So what's the point?

30m is quite low. Drivers has to reduce their salary as well. I don't know, it doesn't sound good.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Mar 2009, 18:38

yeah, I mean, say a team like Williams: NR must be on £5m, Naka on a couple of mill, so thats down to say £23m. Then take into account staff then thats £20m ish.

£20m isn't a lot

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 17 Mar 2009, 19:12

and the budget cap is 30 million dollars not pound...

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Mar 2009, 19:17

shail69 wrote:and the budget cap is 30 million dollars not pound...
Nope:
The cost cap is £30m (currently approximately €33 or $42m)
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 17 Mar 2009, 19:56

What's Kimi's salary...I know it's alot, but he would be at least most of the budget. Then Massa would be the rest. So drivers will have to get paid less for it to work. I doubt big teams will go along with all this. The teams who sign up can put a jet engine on their car but it has to be included in the £30m. So only really small teams who don't pay the drivers much would bother to have the budget cut.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 17 Mar 2009, 20:00

Ali wrote:
Nope:
it is said to be dollars in the official f1 website. I dont know where you got that info from..

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Mar 2009, 20:02

shail69 wrote:
Ali wrote:
Nope:
it is said to be dollars in the official f1 website. I dont know where you got that info from..
It's in the Full Letter of the FIA, mate.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73745