It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 19:25

All times are UTC

Post subject: My trip to Spa, 2008
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 22:13  
kart driver

Family trip to Spa last September, bronze tickets for Saturday and Sunday. Being the biggest F1 nut out of us, I'd planned where we'd try to watch from before we set off - that big grass bank at Pouhon.

The pictures all link to my Flickr account!

Saturday

Image < < < Having just arrived on Saturday morning

Image < < < Busy during qualifying but still places to fit in!

'Cause the lap's so long, you wanna be sat where you can see the cars for a long time, and from here you can see right up to the exit of turn 9. There's a screen on the opposite side of the track (just out of shot of the second photo). Binoculars are needed to see the race positions on the screen but to generally see what's going on, it's fine. Even though it's a fast corner, it's nowhere near as loud as you might expect. We'd only been to races at Silverstone before, I think maybe the forest absorbs a lot of the noise. It's still satisfactory though.

Image Image Image Image

It's a really steep grass bank, treacherous when wet. Our biggest regret was not bringing anything to sit on. It's too steep for chairs in most places. Smarter fans around us had pads to sit on, which apparently you could buy in stalls outside the circuit. It's not like Silverstone, where you can buy cheap necessities like umbrellas and the like inside the circuit. The F1 Village down near Eau Rouge of course sells merchandise like umbrellas, only at about €80!

Image < < < After qualifying, most fans were heading down this path through the forest which leads to the F1 Village

It's quite a long walk from there, especially when it's this busy, but at least the scenery is nice! It gets extremely congested down at the tunnel under Eau Rouge and it's easy to lose people you're with. While we were going through, a couple of people were riding motorbikes through the tunnel, which didn't seem a particularly good idea.

The F1 Village is packed with the usual merchandise stalls and features a few display cars to have a look at. There were fans spending insane amounts of money on things there. It's worth noting from here you can get a great view of Eau Rouge:

Sunday

On the day of the race, the banked area at Pouhon fills up very quickly, very early. Unfortunately for us our coach from our hotel didn't leave as early as we'd have liked, but we managed to find a good spot beside the brick building at the top of the bank.

Image < < < Lewis and Kimi slid off the track on the penultimate lap

Everybody knows what happened in the race of course!

Pretty much the minute the race is over, they let you onto the track, which is surprisingly exciting. Walking up Eau Rouge is an essential part of a trip to Spa!

Image Image Image

Image < < < Kovalainen's car getting towed away

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend. There were fans of every driver and from every country. All are passionate without being aggressively so - something which put us off going to Italy or Spain, where we feared we'd be slaughtered for speaking English.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My trip to Spa, 2008
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 12:56  
F1 Rookie

Fantastic weekend mate, thanks for the pics !!!! If i could do a F1 trip Spa would be my 1st choice. A friend of mine went to Monza once, he doesnt care that much for Ferrari, but he came very , very impressed from there, great atmosphere, so if you can try it out.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 23:24  
F1 Driver

This is great stuff,thanks a bunch for uploading.Hopefully Philipo will do this later this year.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 06:50  

If I do, you'll be sure I'd tell you all about it :p

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 23:26  
F1 Legend

oh very nice , thanks for sharing :)
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 22:46  
kart driver

Thanks all!

Glad if anyone finds that useful - I was looking for a thread like this before we went to the race, when you don't have seats booked there are loads more things you need to think about! This Going to a GP section was a great idea, it'd be good to hear about other people's experiences.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 23:47  
F1 Legend

so are you going to spa this year ?
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 00:17  
kart driver

We might, we all had a great time, but if we do I think we'll book seats. When you know you have seats in a grandstand somewhere it's a big weight off your mind.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 23:57  
F1 Legend

All i can say is Good luck :) I'd like to visit spa one day :p .
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 11:18  
Kart Champion

liffon, what camera did you use to snap the photos?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 13:01  
F1 Rookie

Very good

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 16:06  
kart driver

jianh wrote:
liffon, what camera did you use to snap the photos?

A Canon EOS 300D and an EOS 40D. Some I improved with Photoshop, like the contrast and that sort of thing, I don't really know what I'm doing with cameras. My dad took a couple of them.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009, 18:28  
F1 Rookie

Thanks for the GP report. :)

I went to Spa in 2007, and it was a boring race, (I went only on race day) but Kimi won so I still liked it, haha.
And, I was at Pouhon too. I got there at 12 o clock, so that was really late, as the traffic was organised so bad. But I got a pretty good place, the last one I think, it was really crowded. I sat 100m to your left I think, I know what brick house you mean. Here's a pic from my viewpoint:

BTW nice pic of Hamilton and Kimi going off the track! :thumbsup: You was very fast to capture that! Do you have your camera always ready? I'm bringing my camera too to the nurburgring this year, a Sony Alpha 100. And also a little panasonic camera for movies, with HD quality! :)