It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 23:44

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Past races (discussions)
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 16:15  
F1 Driver

Villeneuve was a lucky bastard that year,Schumi deserved it that year on his performances before Jerez.But Arrows were about to break the streak of most grand prix before winning one,and then a 50p washer breaks...
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 18:33  
F1 Routinier

some more flashbacks....this one's the 2000 german gp. hakkinen and coulthard dominating the race as m.schumacher suffers from a very early retirement. can't forget the face of todt - teary eyed as micheal suffered his 3rd straight retirement. then there was this lunatic who ran across the circuit that caused a safety car period and rain in the closing stages gave rubens victory.

some points for discussion here; mika made that pit stop for rain tyres while rubens didn't. in a sense, rubens had nothing to lose and opted to stay out on dry tyres - though it only rained hard in the grandstand area. risky but a great call for ferrari (which they lack, sadly after michael's retirement).

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 18:38  
F1 Driver

I think the decision was Rubens.Rubens knew that he can drive in that conditions so he decided not to take the wets

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 18:42  
F1 Routinier

yeah, he was often referred to as "the guy with wet feet" :O ....great call!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 20:15  
F1 Driver

Hockenheim 2000, one of the all time classics. He won from 18th on the grid, didn´t he? Classy performance, some top notch overtaking in the early/middle part of the race from Barrichello. A bit lucky in the end, but that´s what you need to achieve great things.

A race I want to know something about is Hungary 89, somebody here who saw that race? Maybe MP4#12?
Must have been a classy performance by Mr Mansell

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 20:31  
F1 Routinier

yup, nigel mansell started 12th in that race...and had a great pass on senna. (just saw it in a 5 minute highlight clip)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/08/02/grand-prix-flashback-hungary-1989/

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 19:24  
F1 Driver

In 2000 is use to love formula1 but was not a regular to every GP and i didnt saw this one live i saw Highlights of the GP and that too after listening that Schumi was out of the race in lap 1 :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 14:52  
F1 Routinier

yeah...that was the 3rd race in a row where he retired.....his championship lead pfffttttt! just like that, lucky for him though, that rubens won that one. an extra 4 pts. chopped off mika

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 18:32  
F1 Rookie

blizzard wrote:
Hockenheim 2000, one of the all time classics. He won from 18th on the grid, didn´t he? Classy performance, some top notch overtaking in the early/middle part of the race from Barrichello. A bit lucky in the end, but that´s what you need to achieve great things.

A race I want to know something about is Hungary 89, somebody here who saw that race? Maybe MP4#12?
Must have been a classy performance by Mr Mansell

Yup, i saw that one. Senna was beated in there, not a usual situation but the way he moves his car with Mansell alongside really shows he wasnt expecting that move, Mansell`s day. A similar one to this: Villeneuve on Schumacher at Estoril 1996, Schumi hesitates behind a slower driver and he`s owned. If you like Mansell ( i did a LOT, brave driver) search youtube and watch his car control at Imola 1990 trying to overtake Berger after tamburello (dont forget he`s going around 300Km/h), or his overtake on Berger at Mexico 1990 at the Peraltada corner on the outside (180º corner) .Outstanding.

Last edited by MP4/4#12 on 18 Dec 2008, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 18:42  
F1 Rookie

Well i had to see it after that post so here goes:

Imola90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qik44hGLJJk

Mexico 90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2g1yrGputA
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 20:32  
F1 Routinier

that spin/recovery @ imola was spectacular!

i also saw a clip where he was pushing his car on the start/finish straight then he collapsed :blink: what was that all about? did he push that car for a whole lap or sumthin'? :huh:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 22:54  
F1 Driver

That was Dallas in 1984.He was running 2nd,the car broke down at the last corner so he tried to push it home.He collapsed with heat exhaustion while pushing the car but still finished 6th from cars being 2 laps down
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 08:47  
F1 Rookie

The most disapointing race that I had ever seen, was Barcelona 2001. I was sure, that Mika is going to win, but the last lap... PUFF! And Schumacher wins...
I still remember what the commentator said when the engine failed: ''All you spectators around the track, try to BLOW for god sake!!''
If Mika had won that race, he would won the Spain GP 4th time in a row! Just 1 victory away from Senna's record.

"F1 won't change me" -Jenson Button, just weeks before dumping his girlfriend of five years and buying a Ferrari
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 09:07  

One lap too much... :p

Kimi would have won Spa 4 times in a row too if the conditions hadn't changed on the last laps. But I have to admit that the Spanish GP 2001 is indeed the most disappointing race I've seen. I mean the car suffers a mechanical failure on the last lap when Mika was almost a minute ahead of everyone and he wasn't even pushing at all at that stage anymore. That kind of things just shouldn't happen. But they do...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 12:36  
F1 Routinier

but asa driver you would like to have one of those incidents. If that had not happened then the people would have not remembered that race. It makes you a little more popular.
 Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next