It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 09:47

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Which system would you prefer?
Medals for podium places 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Points as it is now (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1) 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
Points this way (12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1) 54%  54%  [ 32 ]
Other (please tell us) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Re: Medals to decide championship?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 19:37  
F1 Legend

Maybe its a business idea from bernie to keep F1 in the papers until testing gets underway :laugh1: , we'll still use the same points system .
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 14:38  
F1 Rookie

I don't understand why they always want to change things... It's okay, when they change things to do something for the environment but is this thing with the change of the front and rear wing ?? I don't understand this. and now Bernie wants to give away medals instead of points ?? :<>:
I think this idea is not bad, but he should leave the points as they are now and i think everyone will be happy :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 14:41  

Shouldn't change everything in 1 year, think about it we have: New front wing, rear wing, KERS, and now maybe points changes and quali changes. too much!!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 14:12  

Ecclestone: Medal system next year

Bernie Ecclestone has declared that his controversial medal system to decide the Formula One world drivers' champion will be introduced next year.

Speaking at the announcement of a technology partnership between F1 and Korean electronics giant LG in London today, Ecclestone said he expects his plan to be ratified at the next FIA World Motorsport Council meeting.

"It's going to happen," said Ecclestone. "All the teams are happy. The whole reason for this was that I was fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake.

"If you are in the lead and I'm second, I'm not going to take a chance and risk falling off the road or doing something silly to get two more points. If I need to do it to win a gold medal, because the most medals win the world championship, I'm going to do that. I will overtake you."

Ecclestone added that his system would promote a more exciting world championship fight.

"This year, we saw on a number of occasions Lewis not overtaking Massa for that reason," said Ecclestone. "If he'd driven for me, tried it and made a mistake, I would have complained. It's just not on that someone can win the world championship without winning a race."

When asked of the timescale for implementing his plan, Ecclestone replied: "Next year. I'm hoping it will be approved at the next FIA meeting."

When then asked if it was fair that someone who wins six races but doesn't finish any others, beats someone who had finished every race in second place, Ecclestone replied: "He'll have to try harder next year."

Under the proposed medal scheme, Felipe Massa rather than Lewis Hamilton would have won this year's world championship with six race victories to Hamilton's five.

So, Ecclestone really wants those medals. And he also has repeated that "all teams are happy" which means that despite what some people think, the teams seem to agree with Bernie. Although we haven't really heard any statements from them regarding this issue.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 14:16  
F1 Routinier

so be it......hoping for the best for next season and the following years using the medal system

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 15:41  
F1 Driver

Eddie Jordan wrote:
I think it's a nonsense. The focus of everyone in Formula One at the moment must be on the current situation with costs and cost cutting, and nothing else. The rest is just dressing it up. The points are necessary. I was one of the team principals in the team principals' meetings who advocated that the points should go down to eighth place, because one point to a team down there is as important as a win is to the likes of McLaren and Ferrari, and we must never forget that.

I can promise you, having been in that position, two points against no points is a huge difference. He said that battling to get into the top eight for a midfield team was an important part of a driver's development. Drivers like (Felipe) Massa, who started at the very bottom and worked his way up, know how important those points are at the back of the field.

Everybody that's involved in the financial side knows how important it is, and the extraordinary excitement that there is for getting a point at the back.
McLaren and Ferrari are working on a budget of perhaps 250 million, and then you have other teams like Force India and Toro Rosso, who to everyone's surprise won a race this year, who would have maybe ten or eight times less budget to play with, and inferior drivers because they're learning their trade and they will come and be world champions in years to come.

But they have to find their feet somewhere, and that place has to be in the smaller teams because they're the people who take the risks.

He [Ecclestone]'s tinkering with something that in my opinion he has lost the understanding of. He thinks people are only interested in winning the races. I'm sorry, but there's just not enough thought put into this. It should be put to one side and discussed by him and Max Mosley, and for Bernie Ecclestone to say it's coming with the full approval of all the teams, I simply don't believe it.

Dead on Eddie. Stupid system.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 15:58  
F1 Routinier

how about this one?

Quote:
F1Live.com wrote:
How medals would change F1 history:

If Bernie Ecclestone's 'gold medals' proposal for scoring in Formula One was retrospectively applied, it would change the landscape of the sport's history.

In the 58 world championships since the category's modern inception in 1950, the Olympic Games-style system would have crowned a different champion up to 12 times.

The most recent example is this year, when runner-up Felipe Massa won six races compared with Lewis Hamilton's five. Under Ecclestone's proposed regime, the Brazilian would now be 2008 world champion.

The big winners of the F1 Chief Executive's plan, however, would have been Nigel Mansell (1992) and Jim Clark (1963 and 1965). In both cases, the drivers would each have won two extra titles.

The biggest loser, on the other hand, would be Nelson Piquet, who according to the 'medals' system would not have won any of his three titles in the 80s.

Alain Prost would have won five titles instead of four, and Keke Rosberg - because he only won a single 'gold medal' - would not have been crowned champion in 1982.

Indeed, under Ecclestone's plan, the Finn and father of Williams driver Nico Rosberg would have finished the drivers' championship just sixth.

don't they dare change what was then......

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 16:16  
F1 Driver

Has Bernie gone senile? This is one of the worst ideas I ever heard.And if Bernie backs it,there's a good chance it will happen.And Bernie doesn't give a f**k what us fans think,its all about money to him.This system is a load of c**p,and an absolute disgrace.Bernie can take these medals and shove them up his arse as far as I'm concerned.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 16:42  
F1 Driver

AzShadow wrote:
Ecclestone: Medal system next year

Bernie Ecclestone has declared that his controversial medal system to decide the Formula One world drivers' champion will be introduced next year.

Speaking at the announcement of a technology partnership between F1 and Korean electronics giant LG in London today, Ecclestone said he expects his plan to be ratified at the next FIA World Motorsport Council meeting.

"It's going to happen," said Ecclestone. "All the teams are happy. The whole reason for this was that I was fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake.

"If you are in the lead and I'm second, I'm not going to take a chance and risk falling off the road or doing something silly to get two more points. If I need to do it to win a gold medal, because the most medals win the world championship, I'm going to do that. I will overtake you."

Ecclestone added that his system would promote a more exciting world championship fight.

"This year, we saw on a number of occasions Lewis not overtaking Massa for that reason," said Ecclestone. "If he'd driven for me, tried it and made a mistake, I would have complained. It's just not on that someone can win the world championship without winning a race."

When asked of the timescale for implementing his plan, Ecclestone replied: "Next year. I'm hoping it will be approved at the next FIA meeting."

When then asked if it was fair that someone who wins six races but doesn't finish any others, beats someone who had finished every race in second place, Ecclestone replied: "He'll have to try harder next year."

Under the proposed medal scheme, Felipe Massa rather than Lewis Hamilton would have won this year's world championship with six race victories to Hamilton's five.

So, Ecclestone really wants those medals. And he also has repeated that "all teams are happy" which means that despite what some people think, the teams seem to agree with Bernie. Although we haven't really heard any statements from them regarding this issue.

Bernie can suck my b***. that is all.

Last edited by Fergie1 on 27 Nov 2008, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 16:50  

This is not the olympics, this is F1. Points are there for a reason. In football, you don't finish 1st by winning the most, you do it by consistency. In tennis it is a knockout, in any other sport its good, the medals system here is, well, i'll be banned if i use freedom of speech here, but its a rather long list of expletives.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 17:12  
F1 Driver

The worst thing is this will probably happen,as Bernie is the ruler of F1 in all but name and what he wants,he nearly always gets.I don't believe him when he says "The FIA and the teams agree with this".Can you see Force India/Toro Rosso/Honda and most other teams voting for something that means they'll leave empty-handed? I so hope the FIA don't go through with this,that fans and teams will yell their contempt loud enough for this absurd idea to be ripped to pieces.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 17:19  

you only have to look at the vote results to see the opinions

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 17:50  
F1 Routinier

they made a good thing by adding points up to 8th - but was wrong by cutting the winning lead to the runner up by 2. now they're gonna correct that mistake, and i hope they made the right choice.....best of luck!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 10:00  
F1 Rookie

no medals that so silly

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 18:48  
F1 Legend

Ok here's the last few years under the 'medals' system. Not worked out by me, I should add, but stolen from another board.

Column 1 is the year
Column 2 is the champion for that year under the system in place at that time
Column 3 is the round that the championship was decided in.
4-5 are as 2 and 3 but under the proposed medals system
Quote:
year WDC Decided Medals Decided
1990 Senna 16 Senna 16
1991 Senna 15 Senna 16
1992 Mansell 11 Mansell 10
1993 Prost 14 Prost 13
1994 Schumacher 16 Schumacher 14
1995 Schumacher 15 Schumacher 14
1996 Hill 16 Hill 13
1997 Villeneuve 17 Villeneuve 15
1998 Hakkinen 16 Hakkinen 16
1999 Hakkinen 16 Hakkinen 16
2000 Schumacher 16 Schumacher 15
2001 Schumacher 13 Schumacher 13
2002 Schumacher 11 Schumacher 11
2003 Schumacher 16 Schumacher 13
2004 Schumacher 15 Schumacher 10
2005 Alonso 17 Alonso 19
2006 Alonso 18 Alonso 18
2007 Raikkonen 17 Raikkonen 17
2008 Hamilton 18 Massa 18
 Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next