Medals to decide championship?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Which system would you prefer?

Medals for podium places
3%
Points as it is now (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1)
32%
Points this way (12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1)
54%
Other (please tell us)
10%

Total votes: 59

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Medals to decide championship?

Post by megasyxx » 27 Nov 2008, 20:14

it may not be approved after all :laugh1: ......
Green light for F1 'medals' unlikely Opposition to Ecclestone's F1 points shakeup

Bernie Ecclestone's plan to install an Olympics-style 'medals' scoring system for formula one in 2009 may not be approved, British newspapers report.

After former team owner Eddie Jordan slammed the idea as 'nonsense', the London newspaper The Times said it "is likely to be rejected by the FIA."

F1 CEO Ecclestone insists that the teams fully support the proposal, but it must first be approved by the FIA at a forthcoming meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.

The Times said the FIA 'is not expected' to support the scheme, and even if a green light is shown, 'it would not be implemented' until 2010.

An unnamed 'team insider', meanwhile, told The Guardian that the concept "has certainly not been agreed by all the teams."

The Daily Telegraph said Ecclestone's proposal "may not even be formally on the agenda" for the FIA meeting.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 29 Nov 2008, 11:04

I hope it doesn't happen, points have worked well and given us some good racing for nearly 60 years, so why change it- if it ain't broke, dont fix it!

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 29 Nov 2008, 15:41

think about the famous sentence: "Never change a winning team." We don't need a change of the point system, it works well, actually....

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 30 Nov 2008, 11:17

I think medals are of no use if they gave three medals in each race and decide the championship on the basis of medals then only wining teams can win the championship.Teams like BMW(BMW in 2008 hope them to be wining in 2009) will never win a championship inspite of being fast
Desire has no limits

Rachael The Great
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Rachael The Great » 06 Dec 2008, 19:27

fclen wrote:The way I see it, Bernie's not so sure he'll be around for the next summer Olympics, and he just loves those medal ceremonies!

Hahaha :laugh1:

Medals is a bit pointless, points are easier for us supporters to calculate.
Well it is for me anyway :D

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 07 Dec 2008, 17:07

[u][url=http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081207145941.shtml]http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081207145941.shtml[/url][/u] wrote: F1 teams undecided over 'medals' proposal

The F1 teams' alliance FOTA last Thursday kicked off discussions about Bernie Ecclestone's proposals for an Olympic Games-style 'medals' scoring system.

The 78-year-old F1 chief executive seems to have jumped the gun recently, when he declared that "all the teams are happy ... and the FIA are happy" to proceed with his idea to ditch the current system of awarding drivers' points down to eighth place.

A discussion among the teams actually commenced only in Geneva last Thursday, meaning it is not known if Ecclestone's concept will have the requisite support when the World Motor Sport Council meets in the coming days.

"We are discussing this issue in FOTA and we have not come to a clear opinion as yet," BMW Sauber team boss Mario Theissen told DNA India in an interview.

"However, we will soon come to a joint conclusion and respond to Bernie's proposal. It won't be fair to express an opinion now," the German said.

In the wake of Honda's shock announcement on Friday that it is leaving the sport, FIA President Max Mosley ridiculed the idea of shaking up the points system as akin to worrying about "the colour of the wallpaper when you're on a sinking ship."

He subsequently told the Press Association: "I'd be inclined to go for medals, but I'd really like to listen to what everybody says about it because when you make these big changes, sometimes there are unintended consequences."

"My real preference would be to ask the public. I think we ought to do a bit of market research," said Mosley.
Well, what do you know, maybe polls like this one here might decide this after all. :O

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 12 Dec 2008, 19:53

F1.com allowing us to vote on Bernie's idiotic medal system ;

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... /8775.html

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 13 Dec 2008, 07:38

I voted no :). I wonder if bernie is allowing the fans to have a say in this and looking at the voting results?

:Off topic: loving the new top menu banner on F1.com!

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 14 Dec 2008, 11:25

mosely speaking some sense:
FIA president Max Mosley thinks it would be wrong to change Formula One's points system unless the public support the move - even though he admits introducing the current structure was a 'mistake.'

Motor racing's governing body announced on Friday that it would begin a market research campaign about whether fans support changes being made to the format of grand prix weekends - including Bernie Ecclestone's radical idea for an Olympics-style medal system replacing the current points setup.

And although Mosley concedes that the current 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 format is not ideal, he thinks it wrong simply to overhaul the regulations for the sake of it.

"We'll make a market survey and decide based on the results," Mosley told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Extending the points-paying positions to the top eight by reducing the difference between first and second was a mistake, but I'm against changing the points system too often. It disorientates people."

Mosley admits that he was against the teams' decision to ban refuelling from 2010, but thinks there will still be plenty of excitement without them.

"I was against banning them because in my opinion they were part of the show," he said. "However tyre changes will stay, so it will be exciting to see who will be the quickest at it.

"Also, I trust technology to avoid, like what happened in the eighties, of drivers avoiding fighting in the first part of the race to save their brakes and tyres."

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 15 Dec 2008, 14:39

There was nothing wrong with the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system. Nothing. Really it worked beautifully.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 16 Dec 2008, 13:09

Interview with Bernie at F1.com about the medals sytem, you can vote it too !

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 16 Dec 2008, 17:43

Belive me its a very stupid idea.Since so many year I have been watching F1 but since the 2005 season there seems no stability in the rules nor the decisions.Some times the FIA gets involved & some times Bernie.The current points system is ok, thats why we could see drivers like Sato,Vettel,Glock scoring some poimts here & there & also getting some constructors points.This medal system is unsportful.What about the drivers & teams who are not able to get the top 3.They go empty handed ?Or Bernie does not wish to give them the share form broadcasting depending on points ?Lets stick to racing & stop all this rule changes.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 16 Dec 2008, 18:18

i think the points for the drivers is still as is, only it will be reflected in the constructors table, the medals are for drivers - giving premium to race wins. meaning, if driver b has 100 points in the constructors table but only has 4 wins while driver a has 90 points in the constructors table but has 9 wins, driver a will still be the wdc.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 30 Jan 2009, 14:44

Further to the proposal for medals to replace points in the FIA Formula One World Championship, the FIA has conducted an analysis of how the proposed system would have altered the results of previous seasons.

Code: Select all

http://www.fia.com/public/medal_analysis_results.pdf

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 31 Jan 2009, 21:15

That FIA certainly makes for interesting reading.

I think it also goes against much of Bernie's reasoning for having medals, for example he said even in a season where one driver dominates winning lots of races, it would still be exciting as another driver could win many races later on. Well in 2002, the title would have been decided earlier than with points.

Also many championship battles would have been shortened.