Qualifying Format Discussions

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Qualifying Format Discussions

Post by Ali » 12 Oct 2008, 10:45

The least consistent part of Formula 1 is undoubtedly the qualifying format which did undergo some changes even during seasons. For that, I can't keep up with all these old formats. We can maybe make us remember the good and old days or the bad and old days.

10 lap restriction _ shoot-out format
Drivers were given just 10 laps in 1 hour qualifying period in order to clock their best lap. They'd generally do 3-laps + 3-laps and last 3-laps runs to get the best out of their tyres and track of course.

Aggregated time
I don't fully remember but two different session were being held on both Saturday and Sunday. Best lap times of each drivers on these two sessions were being aggregated thus forming their ultimate grid position.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

F1~Michi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Qualifying Formats Ever

Post by F1~Michi » 12 Oct 2008, 12:45

Single-Time Shooutout
The drivers had one lap per session to set their fastest lap. The Qualifying was split into two parts: Part 1 was held (without race fuel) to determine the order for the deciding second session. For the second Qualifying, everyone drove with race fuel.
F1M's Motorsport Season 2010

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Oct 2008, 16:53

Qualifying format has been throwing up a little bit of surprises on the track but it was not able to still shuffle the entire field as it was expected ...

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by F1 Champion » 12 Oct 2008, 19:12

Ali wrote:
10 lap restriction _ shoot-out format
Drivers were given just 10 laps in 1 hour qualifying period in order to clock their best lap. They'd generally do 3-laps + 3-laps and last 3-laps runs to get the best out of their tyres and track of course.
Restriction was 12 laps so drivers did 4 hot laps.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 13 Oct 2008, 05:13

2005'ish 1 Lap is the best ..if you consider tv coverage; you get every onboard *droll*
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 15 Oct 2008, 17:38

Ali wrote:10 lap restriction _ shoot-out format
i still prefer this one.....

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Oct 2008, 17:44

Nowadays qualifying session is like the first lap of the race with their race fuel load. Thus we cannot see true pace of drivers and cars. I'd like to see old shoot-out format.

Aggregate time format was also interesting.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 16 Oct 2008, 05:11

I loved the 2005 post-European GP format, with a single lap on Sunday, because everyone knew they only had one chance.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 16 Oct 2008, 12:51

Ali wrote:Aggregate time format was also interesting.
i agree, although we can realize the true speed of the car after the pit stops. i remember monaco 2005 - kimi stuck to it on pole, with almost a full tank of fuel! shows his and the car's pace, incredible!

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Qualifying Formats

Post by Ali » 30 Jul 2009, 10:49

As The Immortal Dragon found out:(Credits to him)

Teams want qualifying format shakeup
In the wake of BMW's decision to leave Formula One, the sport's remaining car manufacturers insist efforts are afoot to spice up the spectacle.

Not long after the Munich carmaker announced its decision to withdraw, Formula One Teams' Association secretary general Simone Perillo said work has begun to increase "the involvement of the fans" and to improve "the F1 show".

Mentioned on Wednesday was the possible introduction of a third car per team, but also rumoured is a FOTA-sponsored shake-up to the current knockout qualifying format.

It is believed FOTA's desired change would see five cars on track at a time, with the two fastest progressing to take on the next group of competitors.

The team alliance has no power to introduce rules however and FOTA proposals have traditionally fallen on deaf ears at the FIA.

Code: Select all

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090730123649.shtml
///

IMO, it will be enough to see cars in Q3 on fume and get rid of parce fermé rules as refuelling is banned in 2010. This system is the most stable system ever brought to Formula 1 for the last 10 years or so.

phil1993

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Line-ups, News and Regulations

Post by phil1993 » 30 Jul 2009, 11:26

That sucks. Current one rules as we'd have low fuel Q3 anyway and how do you sort out which 5 cars are on track? What if we get FIS V SUT V BUE V ALG V HEI and 2 go through but another group which is RAI, HAM, ALO, BUT, WEB - 2 of those 5... now thats not fair

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Line-ups, News and Regulations

Post by Ali » 30 Jul 2009, 12:21

phil1993 wrote:That sucks. Current one rules as we'd have low fuel Q3 anyway and how do you sort out which 5 cars are on track? What if we get FIS V SUT V BUE V ALG V HEI and 2 go through but another group which is RAI, HAM, ALO, BUT, WEB - 2 of those 5... now thats not fair
The order might be determined based on the previous race results as it were the situation when we have aggregated qualifying format but still it needs to be sorted it out with all details. It's stil so vague and immature idea, I'd image.

Edit: Credits to The Immortal Dragon for news.

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 30 Jul 2009, 13:56

Zack wrote:2005'ish 1 Lap is the best ..if you consider tv coverage; you get every onboard *droll*
Bump

the 1 Lap Qualy was da best !