2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

Post by phil1993 » 10 Mar 2009, 16:46

It'd be funny if the 6 Merc powered cars ended up filling P15-20 on the grid in Melbourne... and it looks possible

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 10 Mar 2009, 16:53

Not possible,Toro Rosso and maybe Williams will be at the back and McLaren won't be that slow.But I can't see them winning the Oz GP,they've got a lot of work to do.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 10 Mar 2009, 17:07

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090310141834.shtml wrote: "If everyone knew how much fuel we had on board, they would be surprised," Brawn told Auto Motor und Sport, who said the Briton was 'smiling' as he gave his answer.

"Even our engine partner Mercedes didn't believe it when we told them," he added.

Long before team owner Honda announced its departure from the sport, Brawn and his team colleagues were predicting a strong 2009 for what was intended to be the RA109 car.

"On the basis of our simulations, we knew what lap times this car would do theoretically at Jerez, Bahrain and Barcelona. When we saw the times of the competition, we were surprised they were not quicker," Brawn revealed.
If they're really so good, then Honda might have wasted a good chance this season. Then again, they did develop the 2009 car all through 2008 so it would have been surprising if they hadn't got anything done.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Mar 2009, 17:12

So they really could be potential midfield runners

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 10 Mar 2009, 17:32

if they were, and consistently scoring points, the team would really deserve it, juts for staying commited through two rubbish years

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 10 Mar 2009, 17:38

I've heard I think on James Allen's blog that Kovy was told to back off multiple times during the test in Barcelona lately. Read what you like into that.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 10 Mar 2009, 17:40

I look it at the positive side: Kovalainen already got a second of his best lap of yesterday. I don't say Macca is going to win the first race, but I think the problem is much smaller then people are speculating. And I think it's Hamiltons turn tomorrow. Basically he's faster then Kovalainen, so let's wait and see...
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 10 Mar 2009, 17:43

Fergie1 wrote:I've heard I think on James Allen's blog that Kovy was told to back off multiple times during the test in Barcelona lately. Read what you like into that.
True, he repeately stood still in the last corner, then he pulled up suddenly. This to test the new rear end of the car
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 10 Mar 2009, 19:50

hey all macca fans chill -relax, this could only be a trick, as bmw showed last year -- the always were the on of the last positions in testing, and u all know what they showed in 2008 - 1st win, many podiums, see relax, they admitted trough the season later that they didnt show their full speed in testing before 2008 season begun, so all mclaren fans relax, im preety sure that it is, u will see tomorrow -- lewis comes back, so far when lewis was testing 2009 he was alwasy top 3, so maybe heikki is doing something else, full tank, high wings... relax... and enyoy when lewis will win in 2 weeks time...

Miczek
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Miczek » 10 Mar 2009, 19:59

From AFCA:
- Raikkonen was to do three qualifying attempts and a race distance. One of the three fast laps (low fuel and soft tyres) brought the Finn to the fastest lap of the day: 1:20.314. His race simulation already came to an end after 5 laps. The telemetry indicated a loss of pressure in the cooling system of KERS. Raikkonen was asked to come back to pitbox. He had to jump out of the cockpit with both legs at the same time.

In Bahrain Ferrari encountered a similar program. It cost 4 hours to be solved. So there was/is a lot of mechanics again this time round. Tomorrow Massa will continue with the work initiated by his teammate, who was positive nontheless: ''The car feels good. I feel comfortable.''

"We had a problem with the KERS' cooling system and we preferred to stop and not risk greater damage. Until then everything went really well. I think that once we've resolved these small problems with the reliability, we can say that we've got a very good package available. Sure, I would have liked to make a second race simulation, after the one we've done at Bahrain in February, but it's better that some things happen during the tests and not at a GP."

There were many questions as far as the possible competitors of the Scuderia this year are concerned after what the journalists could see during the tests. Kimi kept his calm as usual: "Honestly, I've no idea who could be seen as the favourite. There was a great equilibrium until now between the teams and I think that we have to wait until Melbourne to know more. From our point of view I can say that I'm satisfied with what we've done at the test sessions during the winter. The car behaves very well and that's what's most important; we've checked that on different circuits. Sure, we did have some minor problem with the reliability, but nothing we can't resolve in the works; and then the weather sometimes didn't work out for us and we wanted to drive a couple of miles more. But it doesn't make any sense looking back. I can't wait for the races to start. You know that I like the races best in Formula 1."

Also today Michael Schumacher was at the Scuderia box; the former World Champion wants to follow the preparations for Melbourne at close quarters.

- Things went better for BMW Sauber. Heidfeld already did his qualifying lap on Monday (1:20.338). This morning the German started the Grand Prix simulation with warm up laps, 66 race laps and two pitstops. Overall though Heidfeld had to stop an extra three times due to red flags. One from STR, one from Brawn GP and one from Toyota.

- Second fastest today was Nakajima. For the first time this winter Williams took fuel out to set a good laptime.

- Third placed Barrichello confirms Button's time from yesterday wasn't just a lucky shot. ''I can only confirm Jenson's good feeling. The new car is a lot more stable than the old one.''

- Trulli was fourth fastest impressing with consistent laptimes at a high level. One Toyota engineer dared to say: ''When we take the amount of fuel into account then today we have the fastest car of the field.''

- Webber ended the day at P5. The Australian isn't yet as comfortable in the cockpit as his teammate. But he's not looking for excuses with his leg: ''The right leg is only at 70% of its capabilities. But that only hinders me when I walk, not when I drive.''

- Alonso only did long stints today. His time (1:21.937) was decent. with a similar program Heidfeld was only three tenths faster (1:21.615). Renault has clearly made up from their poor start with the new car a number of weeks ago.

- Despite an improvement to a 1:21.911, Kovalainen couldn't prevent from ending behind customer teams Brawn GP and Force India. There were no statements from McLaren's side. The press officers keeps an eye on the drivers not saying anything to the press.

- Bourdais had a poor day today. After 14 laps a problem related to the wheels popped up. It's a matter of waiting till new material arrives from Faenza. The team sent Buemi on track for six slow laps in the afternoon, in order to complete the scheduled programme without delay tomorrow.
And some pictures:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 10 Mar 2009, 22:15

joostlamers wrote:
Fergie1 wrote:I've heard I think on James Allen's blog that Kovy was told to back off multiple times during the test in Barcelona lately. Read what you like into that.
True, he repeately stood still in the last corner, then he pulled up suddenly. This to test the new rear end of the car
James Allen wrote:Perhaps the most interesting little nugget I picked up in my two days at the test was the start practice the drivers did at lunchtime and again at the end of the day. On one occasion, Kovalainen lined up just in front of Raikkonen and when the McLaren launched, the Ferrari went too. Within 300 meters the Ferrari was in front. It was that noticeable. Now Kovalainen could have been playing games, knowing the Ferrari was behind him and watching, but it didn’t sound that way. That pesky rear grip problem again. Unless McLaren come up with a quick fix, Lewis Hamilton is going to have a tough start to his title defence.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 10 Mar 2009, 22:47

I see their getting him ready for the new season. "Hammy's coming up behind you Kovy, move aside"
:n

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 11 Mar 2009, 05:03

Miczek wrote: Image
:lol: ...

Code: Select all

if ($kers = true;) 
        {
            $curse = true;

} 
:zz:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 11 Mar 2009, 08:47

Ready for Day 3 in barcelona?
Today we have
Massa, Sir Tyre shredder (Lewser), Button, Vettel, Buemi, Alonso, Glock, Rosberg, Fisi, and Bob Kubica

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 11 Mar 2009, 08:48

1. J. Button Brawn GP BGP 001 1:21.681 7 pit
2. F. Massa Ferrari F60 1:22.326 +0.645 8 pit
3. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB5 1:22.389 +0.708 7 pit
4. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR4 1:22.459 +0.778 5 pit
5. F. Alonso Renault R29 1:22.474 +0.793 7 pit
6. N. Rosberg Williams FW31 1:22.550 +0.869 5 pit
7. T. Glock Toyota TF109 1:22.729 +1.048 15 pit

09:45 h 1 Jenson Button in his 1:21:591 lap 10, 2nd Felipe Massa, who despite being in boxes recorded the second best time in 1:22:326 (v8), 3 with 1:22 Timo Glock: 336.

09:47 pm Sebastian Vettel just shorten time placing ahead of Massa in second place, is the tenth round, and mark a time of 1:22:106.

09:50 h The time has dawned Montmeló completely covered with clouds. At the moment there is no possibility of rain, we will be watching developments at the sky during the day

09:52 pm 5th Sebastien Buemi with 1:22:459 (v13), 6th with Fernando Alonso 1:22:474 (v10), 7 Nico Rosberg with 1:1:22:560 (v8), 8 with 1 Robert Kubica: 22:640 (v9).