Grosjean or Di Grassi? Who is the best RDD?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Di Grassi or Grosjean: Suitability for F1/Skill

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2008, 14:53

Lucas di Grassi
75%
Romain Grosjean
25%

Total votes: 12

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Grosjean or Di Grassi? Who is the best RDD?

Post by TwistedArmco » 31 Aug 2008, 14:53

RDD = Renault Development Driver

So let's say that, potentially, Fernando Alonso is on his way to Honda/BMW or someone for 2009. Let's say also that Piquet isn't quite assured yet of his 2009 race seat.

Who then, out of the two RDD drivers, would be the most suitable for an F1 race seat?
Will either driver be hired by someone else, if Renault retain both drivers next year?
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Grosjean or Di Grassi? Who is the best RDD?

Post by Arrows_F1 » 31 Aug 2008, 17:08

I think if Alonso and Piquet jr. stay at Renault, maybe one of them could get a race seat at Toro Rosso or maybe at Force India if they drop Sutil or Fisichella.

If Alonso or Piquet leave Renault i think Lucas Di Grassi will be the most suitable for a Renault race seat. Even if Grosejean won the GP2 Asia Series, Di Grassi is doing much better in normal GP4 series, which is more important, I think

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 31 Aug 2008, 20:29

GP4 Series? Anyway,I say De Grassi is the better driver.He's got more experience,and has done better than Grosjean in GP2. Although Grosjean is quick he's made lots of mistakes,and that's in GP2,a step below F1.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 31 Aug 2008, 20:34

I would be counting on Grosjean. Being genuinely quick doesn't come with all drivers .. moreover from what Piquet performed in the first half year we can see that they take time to adjust to F1 from GP2. Now with Renault being out of championship dreams, they should probably start building a strong team with Grosjean or even with Piquet as they did with Fernando in 2003 - 2006 ...

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 01 Sep 2008, 01:50

Di Grassi. Grosjean is quick but he shows the signs of inconsistency and personally, I believe yes you can stop it, but there will probably be always one too many mistakes from him. I still see him being in F1 sometime tho.

Slightly OT but I think even if Pantano wins the GP2 championship this year I still think his chances of getting into F1 are pretty limited. The only teams I can see taking him on are Force India or Toro Rosso which is unlikely with all the young drivers under Red Bull development.

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 01 Sep 2008, 04:11

I'm going with Grosjean just because of AsianGP2. I doubt any of them will go to F1 next year...i can only see Senna doing it now.

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 01 Sep 2008, 16:29

I choose Di Grassi
We knew both of them are really quick, but Grosjean didn't show a great consistency this season.
Consistency is the most important thing, if you quick but not consistent you're nothing.

But I think neither of them will go to F1 next year...they still needs a time to prepare themself before move to F1
Last edited by raikkonen4ever on 01 Sep 2008, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 01 Sep 2008, 18:36

just some numbers to compare:

Grosjean - 16 races - 42 pts
Di Grassi - 10 races - 51 pts (with 2 wins)

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 01 Sep 2008, 19:35

Di Grassi, because he joined GP2 in mid-season and really managed to impress.
I think he even scored more points in less races than Grosjean.
His Set up work seems to be quite good, because e hasn´t been much off the pace since he joined GP2.

Grosjean is French, so that could be a plus, he´s occasionally fast, but not consistent enough and also his composure might be a problem.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Sep 2008, 08:24

blizzard wrote:Di Grassi, because he joined GP2 in mid-season and really managed to impress.
I think he even scored more points in less races than Grosjean.
His Set up work seems to be quite good, because e hasn´t been much off the pace since he joined GP2.

Grosjean is French, so that could be a plus, he´s occasionally fast, but not consistent enough and also his composure might be a problem.

Yeah, di Grassi is definately very good at car setup. He's Renault's primary tester atm. Grosjean, as we saw in Hungary, isn't.

I think di Grassi is also a massively intelligent racer, like Nick Heidfeld, who can shove in consistently good laps while others go crazy one lap and make mistakes the next. He also stayed well out of the way of the Grosjean/Filippi fight in Valencia, which was so clearly going to end in tears (Grosjean's) and took the lead after that, and pulled away rather spectacularly after that and after the safety car.

Grosjean races with his heart. And, when a car is setup right for him, he is mega. He has more raw pace, but it is raw. Which means unpolished and inconsistent. Which is why I think Lucas is a much better candidate for a Renault seat.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Sep 2008, 08:27

Fergie1 wrote:Di Grassi. Grosjean is quick but he shows the signs of inconsistency and personally, I believe yes you can stop it, but there will probably be always one too many mistakes from him. I still see him being in F1 sometime tho.

Slightly OT but I think even if Pantano wins the GP2 championship this year I still think his chances of getting into F1 are pretty limited. The only teams I can see taking him on are Force India or Toro Rosso which is unlikely with all the young drivers under Red Bull development.

OT:
There are rumours that Toyota signed him on for a third driver role. Whether those rumours are true or not, judge for yourself. But you're right. I don't see any avaliable space.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Sep 2008, 17:32

No-one has been outstanding in GP2 this year, but di Grassi has 51 points despite missing 3 rounds (6 races), only 20 pts behind Pantano. Di Grassi is better, but Grosjean is French and Renault are French and he will improve

sdasports
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sdasports » 27 Sep 2008, 19:18

Di Grassi for me, but I think neither is quite ready for F1 just yet.