Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Jul 2008, 10:08

e10rice wrote:Hm....Lewis Hamilton, how i dislike him let me count the ways....
I cant cause everyone has pretty much mentioned everything. However i will say i think he is a good driver that has skill. I wont hold it aganist him that he got the best car on the best team last year. He was in the works for them for years and it was only fitting he go to them. I just wish he was more low key. Most of the drivers in F1 are. They respect the past and future and realize they are only a small part of the history of F1. He however gives off an impression that he feels he's God because of his rookie season. Yes he had many great achevements but so did a lot of other drivers who didnt win or make history. In my eyes he's still a rookie who makes a lot of mistakes when not presented with a win on a silver plate.

Yeah, I like drivers that are like me - fairly reticent and retsrained in the flesh.

Nick Heidfeld and Pedro de la Rosa being two fine examples. Quiet dilligent guys the both. Whereas Hamilton always uses the media to try and psych his opponents and it just sounds arrogant.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by e10rice » 03 Jul 2008, 13:45

Maybe its not Hamilton......
Maybe its his father who is his manager, or McLaren who spent so much money on this kid, or the media who build him up because he's suppose to be the next Greatest thing out of the UK. Maybe he's not arrogant, but has to be to live up to what everyone around him wants him to be. If and only if thats whats really going on then i actually feel for him. Cause in the end will he look back on his career as an F1 driver and regret it. Will he think "I only drove and acted that way to please everyone else while ignoring my own wants and wishes." This maybe a long shot but im trying to look at this in another light.
Go Kimi Go!!!!

syafiqa
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by syafiqa » 04 Jul 2008, 06:09

e10rice wrote:Maybe its not Hamilton......
Maybe its his father who is his manager, or McLaren who spent so much money on this kid, or the media who build him up because he's suppose to be the next Greatest thing out of the UK. Maybe he's not arrogant, but has to be to live up to what everyone around him wants him to be. If and only if thats whats really going on then i actually feel for him. Cause in the end will he look back on his career as an F1 driver and regret it. Will he think "I only drove and acted that way to please everyone else while ignoring my own wants and wishes." This maybe a long shot but im trying to look at this in another light.
Maybe...

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 04 Jul 2008, 19:25

I personally have grown to dislike Lewis because he's become very smug, over confident and generally arrogant. He seems to think he was born to be a world champion. However, his self-obsession has got the better of him. Recently, he also seems to be more focused on what the media has to say about him rather than concentrate on his driving and the championship. The fact that ITV focuses their entire program on him every week bugs me even more.

e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by e10rice » 04 Jul 2008, 22:24

MansellRed5 wrote:I personally have grown to dislike Lewis because he's become very smug, over confident and generally arrogant. He seems to think he was born to be a world champion. However, his self-obsession has got the better of him. Recently, he also seems to be more focused on what the media has to say about him rather than concentrate on his driving and the championship. The fact that ITV focuses their entire program on him every week bugs me even more.
Kind of like this past week where just out right said he was more fit than Button. At least Button challenged him, and after agreeing to the challenge who else but his Dad had to come out and say no he would do it. Just concentrate on driving.
Go Kimi Go!!!!

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Jul 2008, 06:31

I m more keen to know ..what makes people like Lewis Hamilton?!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 06 Jul 2008, 15:25

Zack wrote:I m more keen to know ..what makes people like Lewis Hamilton?!
Probable because he's English. I respect him as a driver as I watched his progress through Euro F3 and GP2 and was very impressed. Being Scottish/British, I want a British driver to do well, I really do and he has a lot of potential but I dislike him as a character/person.

Regardless, on days like today, I feel very ambivalent about Lewis. Winning today was phenomenal and he barely put a foot wrong, you have to hand it to the guy. He thoroughly deserved to win today. I had a similar feeling in Monaco, he can be very impressive sometimes. For his sake, I hope he drives more like that in the second half of the season instead of letting the press/media get to him like he has done for most of this year. If he stays focused on the job at hand, he could be in a good position to win the championship later in the year :thumbsup:

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 06 Jul 2008, 15:57

MansellRed5 wrote:
Probable because he's English. I respect him as a driver as I watched his progress through Euro F3 and GP2 and was very impressed. Being Scottish/British, I want a British driver to do well, I really do and he has a lot of potential but I dislike him as a character/person.
That's why I started this topic - to ascertain whether there's something wrong with me!
I am British, of 6 generations at least of Brits, and yet I'm more inclined to dislike our sports stars than support them. Am I a freak?! :huh:
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

aussiepete
kart driver
kart driver

Post by aussiepete » 06 Jul 2008, 20:37

TwistedArmco wrote:
MansellRed5 wrote:
That's why I started this topic - to ascertain whether there's something wrong with me!
I am British, of 6 generations at least of Brits, and yet I'm more inclined to dislike our sports stars than support them. Am I a freak?! :huh:
i dont think so - as an aussie ,more than anything i would love for webber to take the championship but hes too old and team beauracracy has got the better of whos the better of whats up and coming but england has something special indeed and hamilton can . getting off topic what i dont like about hamilton is he appreciates more than anything his family over fans maybe.

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 07 Jul 2008, 02:47

MansellRed5 wrote:I personally have grown to dislike Lewis because he's become very smug, over confident and generally arrogant. He seems to think he was born to be a world champion. However, his self-obsession has got the better of him. Recently, he also seems to be more focused on what the media has to say about him rather than concentrate on his driving and the championship. The fact that ITV focuses their entire program on him every week bugs me even more.

Surely this sums it up for me as well. He CAN drive, like he did today though when it really matters he seems to make elementary mistakes. Be that not changing tires given the rain or smashing into others ignoring red lights or overtaking in dubious manner. He is too self focused...and if I am to compare to Schumacher- my fave, if Schumi is the "1 in 100 years" peak, then when it comes to driving, Hamilton is but a Mika Hakkinen and when it come to personality, he is as cocky as Juan Montoya or Jacques Villeneuve or even "Fred" Alonso... Actually he really is a younger Fernando Alonso, however a more cocky one. He will get his championships alright, but he will not be remembered as a consistent, dominating driver who shaped up a decade of F1 Racing.

And to tell the truth, this whole season and its top drivers can really be characterized as such. With the notable exception of Massa being less cocky. This season has been about Hamilton, Raikkonen and Massa going on a 3 race cycle. Great drive and 2 dismal failures. Seems Massa came around last time, now Hamilton and next time it should be Raikonnen. Why should any be world champ ? If I wore to nominate a word champion based on the said drivers' performance thus far, I would withhold my nomination.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jul 2008, 03:13

I find his approach very different. He says he will listen to none but his Father !! Who has no experience in F1 !! I am puzzled but was happy to see him win in Silverstone. He is an atypical F1 driver. We have seen many drivers and their different nature and emotions over various parts of the season. Hamilton seems very different from the ones i have seen. I have never seen a driver's manager getting so much of TV time !! I honestly haven't seen Kovy's manager speak to the media till now.

When you watch the ITV race you should have observed that Martin whenever he speaks to someone outside Mclaren like Ross Brawn today, he always asks them about Lewis Hamilton & his current performance. What's he trying to convey ?? I think ITV should start focussing on F1 than Hamilton !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jul 2008, 03:17

He made quite a good start in 2007. I never expected a rookie in Mclaren to go on for a string of podium finishes. Then later when i debugged i realized he has been Mclaren's protege' ... For me its like almost after 9 years i am seeing a Mclaren finally mounting a challenge for WDC !

AyrtonSennaGODsPilot
kart driver
kart driver

Post by AyrtonSennaGODsPilot » 07 Jul 2008, 18:29

ive just got one thing to say
in france he said legends win from the back
he obviously isn't a legend

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 08 Jul 2008, 19:23

AyrtonSennaGODsPilot wrote:ive just got one thing to say
in france he said legends win from the back
he obviously isn't a legend
Lol! Agreed. Lewis is only a legend in his own mind :p .

Also, I wouldn't call starting 13th, the back of the grid. It's more midfield. I mean it's not like John Watson in Long Beach'83, 22nd - 1st :thumbsup:

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 09 Jul 2008, 18:16

i don't like him at all.....but i don't hate him either. just a mclaren fan :cheezy: as for those who hate him...is it because he's black? :blink: i think that's silly &doh