Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Post by Fergie1 » 29 Jun 2008, 21:03

lucian wrote:I think Hamilton is not very honest most of the times.
He apologized to Kimi after having hit him but then he didn't want to pay for his mistake.
He called the other drivers 'monkeys' after the Monaco GP last year.
He got very angry when Fisichella defended his position this year in Bahrain.
1, that doesnt make him unhonest.
2, it was just banter wasn't it?
3, unproved, that gesture was debatable as to what it meant.

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 29 Jun 2008, 21:48

It's hard to give arguments as I can't find what he said a long time ago. But I'd add that, after Alonso openly admitted there was a conflict between him on one side, and McLaren and Hamilton on the other side, Hamilton was saying his relationship with his teammate was great. He was not telling the truth.

I can't understand how Hamilton can apologize and then say he's not guilty. My view on this problem is like that: you either admit your guilt or you find cheap excuses and say you actually have no fault. The team warned him about the 2 cars and the red light (assuming this wasn't a lie written in the press) and he ignored the warning.

About his last race last year I really don't know yet what happened. Did he press a wrong button or was it just a software problem ? He didn't say it, and maybe the team told him what to say. The fact that he complies with all team orders makes him look weak sometimes. Just compare it with Alonso from this perspective and you'll see the difference.

Sorry if you don't like what I've written. It's just my opinion. :cheezy:

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 30 Jun 2008, 00:55

Hamilton mania goes on .. Once F1 Telecast moves to BBC i think the problem should be solved. There is far too much media attention to keep himself under check. The British press simply expects him to win or put up a great show. I don't think many people in the press remember the fact that he is a rookie compared to Kimi Raikkonen or Massa.

Raikkonen has almost a decade of F1 experience. Raikkonen knows perfectly well how race given his starting grid is in 17th place ... Remember Suzuka 2005. Hamilton simply doesn't have the experience of Raikkonen's various grid starts. You need to have those experience to really make a good race out of nothing. Till now all races where he has started outside top 8, he has always been in a mess except for Malaysia 08. If he starts on the first two rows he would definitely slot himself for a podium place.

So Lewis boy .. Stop pressing the panic button when you see a red car ahead or behind you ! Just keep yourself out of trouble in the race, soon you will be able to improve your performance.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 30 Jun 2008, 01:00

If the press shuts up about hyping about Lewis ascendency to throne i think things would be back to normal .... esp ITV - J Allen & M Brundle

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 30 Jun 2008, 02:10

I wouldn't count on BBC being any better.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 30 Jun 2008, 03:56

Fergie1 wrote:I wouldn't count on BBC being any better.
I agree with that. May be i am expecting too much from them. If James Allen & Martin Brundle don't walk into BBC then i guess it would be good. But can't say for sure ..

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 30 Jun 2008, 19:33

Why are Allen and Brundle so fanatic about Hamilton'?

During the mid 90´s GB had a couple of drivers who had the opportunity to win races and actually did.

95 Williams: Hill winner Coulthard winner
Benetton: Herbert won Silverstone and Monza
Brundle had a couple of good races, went to the podium in the Ligier I think,
also Eddie Irvine wasn´t bad.

Today their only hope is hamilton, Button didn´t turn out to be the next best thing and the honda is (still) a joke. Coulthard is a veteran in his last season, who lost 2 titles to Hakkinen(98,99) and 2 to Schumacher (00,01).

So I think the desire and anticipation in GB is very high and because of hamiltons great debut season they overrate him and see him as the next Senna or Schumacher although he hasn´t won much yet.

Britain is the most succesful F1 nation and they went through a long drought after Hill won it in 96, so the pressure rose over the years and hamilton is their messiah.

The same thing will happen in Germany over the next decade. Michael absolutely pulverized all records, before him Germany was nothing in Formula one and now 1 and a half seasons after him no German won a race and it will continue like this. Heidfeld is no championship material and I doubt Rosberg will be. One thing is for sure it won´t be easy for the guys because Michael´s shadow will always float over them.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 30 Jun 2008, 20:10

blizzard wrote:Why are Allen and Brundle so fanatic about Hamilton'?

During the mid 90´s GB had a couple of drivers who had the opportunity to win races and actually did.

95 Williams: Hill winner Coulthard winner
Benetton: Herbert won Silverstone and Monza
Brundle had a couple of good races, went to the podium in the Ligier I think,
also Eddie Irvine wasn´t bad.

Today their only hope is hamilton, Button didn´t turn out to be the next best thing and the honda is (still) a joke. Coulthard is a veteran in his last season, who lost 2 titles to Hakkinen(98,99) and 2 to Schumacher (00,01).

So I think the desire and anticipation in GB is very high and because of hamiltons great debut season they overrate him and see him as the next Senna or Schumacher although he hasn´t won much yet.

Britain is the most succesful F1 nation and they went through a long drought after Hill won it in 96, so the pressure rose over the years and hamilton is their messiah.

hmmm, good point

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 30 Jun 2008, 20:57

blizzard wrote:Why are Allen and Brundle so fanatic about Hamilton'?

The same thing will happen in Germany over the next decade. Michael absolutely pulverized all records, before him Germany was nothing in Formula one and now 1 and a half seasons after him no German won a race and it will continue like this. Heidfeld is no championship material and I doubt Rosberg will be. One thing is for sure it won´t be easy for the guys because Michael´s shadow will always float over them.
I think you have highlighted two very fair points. Expectation is running high in the case of Hamilton. But i don't think he can keep it up. He will atleast need another year or two to become a driver who can be compete from any place on the starting grid.

Heidfeld also has ran out of time. I think it was 2002 when Kimi & Nick were racing for Sauber .. Mercedes chose Kimi over Nick. He was unhappy & people quoted that Mclaren should have gone for a German driver in their lineup. I think from then on, this guy hasn't really been able to push. Micheal's shadow will always float over any driver from any country simply because he has performed a clean sweep of all records possible. I don't think anybody in the current 22 drivers can beat Micheal's records ! Even a Ferrari driver & team may not be able to repeat the Schumi era after this ..

Liffonmelsmork
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Liffonmelsmork » 30 Jun 2008, 21:37

I’m not a massive Hamilton fan, but I like to think I have an open mind when it comes to F1. I just like good racing and enjoy watching people who are good doing at it. For me, the thing with Lewis is he seems to put on a front. He’s clearly a hugely arrogant person when not before the media and fans. I’d actually like him a lot more as a person if he’d just be himself all the time, no matter how annoying and big-headed he is. I’m an Oasis fan.

Right, this isn't a dig at anyone or whatever, this is just my thinking.

I don't know how anything or anybody can be overrated or underrated. For someone to say that Lewis is overrated is the same as them saying, "Many believe he's really good, but actually, he isn't. He isn't as good as people think he is. My opinion is somehow superior to those of people with opposing views." Isn't that arrogance? It's an argument with no ending, because it's all based on opinion.

I'll admit I think he's displayed brilliant skill. I'm not sure how starting his F1 career in a top team is a reason to hate him - it's not as if he didn't work for it. He'd done very well in all he'd done before F1, and just because he didn't have to prove himself to team bosses like Raikkonen and Alonso did when they were starting out in lower teams, I don't see why people despise him for it. I'm obviously not a psychologist but I think that's a subconscious jealousy thing.

“Stupid spoilt rich kid. He’s had it easy. Everything’s fallen into place for him. My favourite driver had to work for his top drive.” But Lewis did work for it. What’s wrong with being lucky anyway?

Again, I’m not trying to be a bastard, so I’m sorry if I’m pissing anyone off with my opinions!

syafiqa
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by syafiqa » 01 Jul 2008, 04:04

Every humans are not perfect.
10q.. :cheezy:

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 01 Jul 2008, 09:22

I think that expctation point is the best yet.

I am unpatriotic at the best of times, and enjoyed the fact that there was no England in Euro 2008 this year. I think that's probably the reason why I don't like him. Britian wants him to succeed for Britain, whereas Formula One, although obviously constituted of nationalities, should so be about individuals.

to liffonmelsmork: As you can see, we all have opinions, often very contrary to other peoples. Don't apologize for having them :cool: .
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Laura
car driver
car driver

Post by Laura » 01 Jul 2008, 14:14

I dislike Lewis Hamilton for a few reasons.

Firstly, he started in the best car last season and nearly won the world championship, much like Villeneuve in 96. Senna is his hero. He began his craft in a middle of the road car. I would probably be more open to supporting him had he had to work for his drive like most great racers eg. Alonso started in a Minardi.
Secondly, he is very arrogant. This has probably stemmed from his first season being so successful but a lot of his comments are awful. In particular, calling the backmarkers "monkey's down the back" is so disrespectful. He should have respect for his colleagues who aren't as lucky as him to have gotten a drive with the best team (which Mclaren were last year) without slaving away in a poorly competitive team hoping for a spattering of points or that one magic drive that makes the big teams realise how talented he is.
My final reason for dislike of him comes from the coverage. I'm aware its not his fault but to beatify a driver in the way that ITV continually has done will instantly cause dislike. They should have an unbiased approach to commentating as their coverage is shown world wide, not just the UK. Hopefully the BBC will be better next year (while keeping Martin Brundle as lead commentator)

e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by e10rice » 01 Jul 2008, 14:38

Hm....Lewis Hamilton, how i dislike him let me count the ways....
I cant cause everyone has pretty much mentioned everything. However i will say i think he is a good driver that has skill. I wont hold it aganist him that he got the best car on the best team last year. He was in the works for them for years and it was only fitting he go to them. I just wish he was more low key. Most of the drivers in F1 are. They respect the past and future and realize they are only a small part of the history of F1. He however gives off an impression that he feels he's God because of his rookie season. Yes he had many great achevements but so did a lot of other drivers who didnt win or make history. In my eyes he's still a rookie who makes a lot of mistakes when not presented with a win on a silver plate.
Go Kimi Go!!!!

syafiqa
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by syafiqa » 02 Jul 2008, 04:05

Just accept other weakness. Dont get busy to judge other. We also has our own weakness.
All F1 driver are great..!!! :thumbsup:

:cheezy: Raikkonen forever :cheezy: