Moveable areo body parts

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Moveable areo body parts

Post by e10rice » 25 Jun 2008, 16:27

So the FIA recently cracked down on the teams running the bridge over the front nose by making them support it because they noticed flexing during the race. Kinda like Ferrari's moveable floor board and Ferrari's front wing a couple of years ago where it was very noticeable that it was moving. Well in this past weekends race i saw a couple of shots looking back at from the Alonso's car and noticed the "shark fin" like body panel moving around alot during high speed cornering. Isn't this the same thing as with bridge over the nose front wings. Not to sure its really giving them an advantage because its suppose to clean up the air over the rear wing and i would assume its actually dirtying the air with its movement. But shouldn't all teams running this configueration be required to make this aero piece more ridged so it doesn't move. What do you guys think, or did you see it yourself? (I was watching it on Fox in the U.S.)
Go Kimi Go!!!!

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Moveable areo body parts

Post by TwistedArmco » 25 Jun 2008, 16:59

I saw it wobbling, but that gains them no advantage whatsoever. It probably disadvantages them, wobbling at speed. Since the clamp down on non-fastened bridge wings, I haven't noticed any moving particularly.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

mani
car driver
car driver

Post by mani » 25 Jun 2008, 19:42

Assalamoalaikum.

Actally teams have started to genrate downforce through these bridges instead of just improving airflow.so it is pretty invitable that the high stressed areas on these bridges may slightly change the shape resulting in the increased downforce as the race progress.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 25 Jun 2008, 20:26

wanna bet that the fia would legitimize these moveable aero parts in the near future and then ban them again....

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 25 Jun 2008, 20:33

regarding the bridgewings, when mclaren introduced them last year, it was obvious from the onboard clips that it flexed downward at the straights and then moved back in its original position upon braking - i guess that's the original intention of the the device. but some teams grumbled and the fia took notice, i guess mclaren made it a bit more sturdy so that it wont be too obvious the the device was flexing.

e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by e10rice » 25 Jun 2008, 21:07

i also dont think it gives them any advantage with the "shark fin" wobbling in the air but i just wonder if the FIA would make teams with it reinforce it to its not so noticeable. hell it just might help it.
Go Kimi Go!!!!

mr_guy99493
car driver
car driver

Post by mr_guy99493 » 01 Sep 2008, 08:37

I have seen these moving, but im pretty sure that they will disadvantage the team. Im assuming that they move to follow the arc that the car is travelling, due to the side forces encountered. If it was bending the other way, it would improve cornering performance at the rear wheels, but this would require an actuaing mechanism cause the system wouldnt really be stable that way.
I doubt that the FIA will be making any concessions on movable aero, or cars would have huge rudders on the back in no time.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 01 Sep 2008, 20:51

They should ban those bridges over the front wing. They look massively ugly and before 2006 F1 could deal without them. Same with the shark fins and nose horns á la BMW or McLaren.